Two domains. What do you think?

Well, I just registered these 2 domains:

kaiak.com - This is actually a second "legal" spelling for the word 'kayak'. Look it up in websters It's also a palindrome (spelled the same forward and backward), which I like.

deled.com - Another palindrome and it is also a word! Past tense of "dele" which means "In printing, to take out a letter or a word. delete."

I decided to register these 2 domains because they're short, one word, they have meaning (not just random letters slapped together), and they would even work well if the site had nothing to do with the meaning of the word. Might not sell too well here, at a hosting forum, but for a site about kaiaks, I think it'd be worth a lot. However, you could even name your company "Kaiak Hosting" and have a little kaiak in your logo, hehe. So are they worth more than $8.88?

I'm not actually selling these right at the moment, just gathering some opinions. Feel free to email me any offers though, as I will more than likely be selling them soon. Thanks for any opinions.

kaiak.com - good one $100 Min
    Deled.com - drop it

Everyone will have their own opinion, so that's mine: I am not too keen on obscure alternative spellings, unless they are very common, for example I own millionnaire.org (millionaire) and milkmustache.com (moustache). So I would pass on the kaiak - first time I'm seeing this one.

About the palindromes, I have a similar "fetish" with palindromic numeric domains e.g. 4774.com etc. I don't want to bring you down, but I think that deled.com does not sound that hot either. But everyone to their own

I feel the same way about obscure spelled words. When you advertise, you hate to think that there's a certain percentage of people that typo the url - and that percentage has to go up the more obscure the word's spelling.

Ok domains though, with advertising and time. Look at how popular goofy names like google or ebay got with a little time and money.

-WC-

Deled, especially knowing the root is from "to delete" isn't very reassuring if you are doing hosting. I certainly wouldn't want my provider deleting anything.

Kaiak is catchy. It has similar hard sounds to Kodak. If anyone knows about the history of Kodak, alot of trouble, time, and expense was put into determining a name which would not be a real word, would be two syllables, and use hard sounds. Why? because it was determined that a word like this would more easily be remembered by the general public. They came up with Kodak.

As for alternate spellings of words, that's not too big of a problem. Most people will get there by clicking anyhow. ServInt is the alternate spelling of Servant, and not too many people get confused.

Depending on your business ideals, you may get some mileage out of Kaiak. It lends itself to trendy website development. Put the word up there, put the dictionary definition up there... brainstorm off some neat concepts... At Kaiak, we help you safely negotitate the tumultuous rapids of the unstable webhosting world... corny, but possibilities in there.

$0.02

At the end of the day, a domain is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay... If a name is good, and fits into somebody's vision of how they want their business to be etc, then it'll be worth something to them, whereas Joe Bloggs might not pay a penny for it. I like kaiak, but deled doesn't do anything for me - for one thing, people wouldn't know how to pronounce it - dee-lead? dell-ed? dee-ulled? etc etc. Whilst kaiak isn't the most straightforward of spellings etc, its a little cleared - you would find with deled, when giving the URL to someone, most people would probably say 'what's that again?'. Then again, it might be just what somebody's looking for (especially if you're Mr David Eled) so who knows?

I'm not mr perfect on this one mind you, my business name sometimes confuses people

Benoire, I may have misread your message, but I think he already owns both of the domains, and won't be buying or selling the actual domains.

Anyhow, one "advantage" of a domain name that needs spelling is that it gives you 3 opportunities to give someone the name when talking to them rather than just one.

"What's your domain?"
    "Kaiak.com, that's K A I A K dot com, like a Kayak, only a different spelling."

The innate need to spell and explain lets you trigger those memory receptors and perhaps make the domain more memorable, rather than less.

$0.02

Originally posted by BobFarmer
    Benoire, I may have misread your message, but I think he already owns both of the domains, and won't be buying or selling the actual domains.
    He does already own both domains, and said he was thinking of selling soon.

Anyhow, one "advantage" of a domain name that needs spelling is that it gives you 3 opportunities to give someone the name when talking to them rather than just one.

"What's your domain?"
    "Kaiak.com, that's K A I A K dot com, like a Kayak, only a different spelling."

The innate need to spell and explain lets you trigger those memory receptors and perhaps make the domain more memorable, rather than less.

$0.02 [/B]
    That's something I never actually thought of before... interesting. In some cases, a bad spelling definitely goes against you eg 'dzynrhost' or something (just made that up!) as it can be too complicated to easily remember, but in some cases like this it can be a good thing like you say I suppose. My business name is only one character different from a well known pop star's name which is a good way to get people to remember my name

You're right about that. Some domains are hopelessly difficult to remember. I'd suggest putting together a quick "focus group" (which in most cases may just be bugging friends and family, no need to hire a marketing firm) and run choices past them. Things to do may include:

-Read a list of domains to them, without repeating them. Talk in general for 2-3 minutes, then ask them to write down the domains they remember.

-Ask them to brainstorm slogans, patters, or phrases they may associate with each domain (this time listing one at a time, giving ample room for note taking).

-Ask them to brainstorm potential hazard-associations, such as how easy is it to mutate your domain choices into bad words, negative words, etc.

I'm sure there are more things that can be done to research domains, so hey, I ask everyone to expand the list.

(I know this post is old. I thought it died off with only 2 replies. I was digging through for something and noticed a lot more replies) I just wanted to thank you for all your suggestions. I like the way you think BobFarmer.

I know deled is pretty much worthless (it was checked when I registered kaiak.com, so I thought what the hell.) I'll be happy if I get $8.89 for it. I still like kaiak though