Unlimited Bandwidth?

I'm looking for a Web host that offers unlimited bandwidth for a reasonable price. I've been doing a bit of digging and the only one I've found so far is Interland, which seems to have a mixed reputation. I'm going to be serving up some progressive streaming video, and don't want to get hit with a huge bill if too many people start downloading.

Apologies if this has already been a worn out thread, I've just joined the forum and I couldn't see it in the immediate archives.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Unlimited Bandwidth?

Originally posted by andrewl
    I'm looking for a Web host that offers unlimited bandwidth for a reasonable price. I've been doing a bit of digging and the only one I've found so far is Interland, which seems to have a mixed reputation. I'm going to be serving up some progressive streaming video, and don't want to get hit with a huge bill if too many people start downloading.

Apologies if this has already been a worn out thread, I've just joined the forum and I couldn't see it in the immediate archives.

Thanks,

Andrew

Welcome to the forums andrew!

Check out http://www.unlimband.com for a great list of hosts that offer unlimited bandwidth! I think some even go as low as $5/year!

Re: Unlimited Bandwidth?

Originally posted by andrewl
    I'm going to be serving up some progressive streaming video, and don't want to get hit with a huge bill if too many people start downloading.
    Read over the TOS real good, chances are you will get hit with a huge bill if you start pushing heavy traffic... unlimited is BS my friend.

What are you planning on hosting that requires a lot of bandwidth? Chances are, like it has been said, you are going to be slammed with extra costs for high bandwidth usage anyway. Why not go a more reliable route and determine a practical estimate of your bandwidth needs and go with a more solid reputable host.

Don't go down the unlimited bandwidth road...you will have an unfortunate crash!

Re: Re: Unlimited Bandwidth?

Originally posted by akash
    Check out http://www.unlimband.com for a great list of hosts that offer unlimited bandwidth! I think some even go as low as $5/year!
    ROTFLOL!! I was about to reccomend the site, but that had to have been the best way to give it!

On a serious note, please be very careful on unlimited bandwidth! It's IMPOSSIBLE to provide, so please watch your back as you will get burned. Keyword on WILL. :-/

Hope you find what you're looking for.

This isn't even funny, but I'll say it anyways... wait, no, I won't.

*holds back the WHT members* - Unlimited is not a word you want to use around these parts of town.
    - Andy
    Free browser based game:
    http://www.critticage.com
    Play in your spare time!

Unlimited bandwidth is a figment of the world's imagination, much like fairies, leprechauns, and intelligent soap operas.

Seriously...for those of you who insist that such an animal exists, consider the following as a possible disproof of the unlimited bandwidth "claim":

If Site A was on its own server all by itself using its own dedicated connection to serve its customers 24/7...then it would be using whatever connection speed would be available to do so. Now let's say, for argument's sake, that the entire bandwidth of the connection is being used at every possible second (which would never realistically happen but let's assume the extreme case). The formula to calculate the maximum bandwidth used for the month would be (maximum bandwidth speed per second) x 60 seconds x 60 minutes x 24 hours x (number of days in a month, at most 31). All of these numbers are finite numbers, and there is absolutely no configuration of a series of finite numbers that will provide an infinite number.

Ergo, there is no such animal as unlimited bandwidth.

(I don't know if my suggestion is quite correct since my math is somewhat rusty but I think you get the general idea.)
    Is Canada the best? Noo Doot Aboot It!
    "And on the eighth...day...God...created...Mankind. WHY WAS HE HAVING SUCH A BAD DAY?" -- Mick Foley

Originally posted by TheGAME1264
    Unlimited bandwidth is a figment of the world's imagination, much like fairies, leprechauns, and intelligent soap operas.
    Does that mean there is no pot of gold either?

Sure there's a pot of gold. Pot of Gold are those weird little chocolates that give you a sugar buzz that leaves you flying for hours.
    "And on the eighth...day...God...created...Mankind. WHY WAS HE HAVING SUCH A BAD DAY?" -- Mick Foley

Originally posted by TheGAME1264

Its okay if those are a figment of the world's imagination... but I am postive that Gnomes are REAL!
    Sarah :c)

cPanelDemos.com - live remotely hosted cPanel & WHM demo hosting service.

"Pot-o-Gold" is a portable toilet rental place here...(New Orleans)

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thanks for all the responses on the non-existence of unlimited bandwidth; it appears to be as elusive as the engine that runs on sand, or the razorblade that never goes dull. Perhaps I should rephrase my question into a more generic request for recommendations on Web Hosts who don't gouge you if you go over your alloted quota. I'm going to be serving up a series of video files, that in the high bandwidth verison will total around 15MB. If 1,000 people watch the whole series in a month that would pretty much eat my bandwidth in most of the basic plans I've seen. I've heard good things about pair.com in other forums, I was wondering if there were any other Web Hosts out there to compare them with.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Would these video files be legal?

A dedicated on a unmetered connection might be something towards your needs. Unmetered is usually more expensive, but it is worth it for file hosting and videos as well.

Unmetered is different than unlimited, for your information.
    hostVentura
    adam.ferree@gmail.com
    AIM: windsofnihility

How does unmetered work? I've heard of people purchasing rackshack unmetered servers and getting bandwidth bills..?
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

Originally posted by littlest

Its okay if those are a figment of the world's imagination... but I am postive that Gnomes are REAL!
    What about the faeries? I swear if the Gnomes exist, they must too!!!

perl -le '$_=`man perlfaq1`;print/"(j.*)"/'
    Originally posted by DD-SNC
    How does unmetered work? I've heard of people purchasing rackshack unmetered servers and getting bandwidth bills..?
    I've said this before and I'll say it again: With the amount of customers Rackshack has, it is difficult to keep track of everyone. If you had even half the customers they do, you'd run into a few mistakes here and there. I'm sure you've had a few mistakes also, like when your domain was stolen by Jeah Communications.
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.
    http://www.1NL.net
    The low cost data center.

Unmetered is different from unlimited in that they don't start monitoring your traffic per se. A host that offers unmetered bandwidth will (in theory) base your bill upon your usage of server resources. If you start using up what the host feels is excessive server resources, you will have to pay more. The ironic twist to all of this is that the increased resource usage is at least partially related to increased bandwidth. So unmetered (in the practical sense) isn't all that much better than unlimited. At least that's my humble opinion. This is not to say that there are no good "unmetered" hosts (because to be honest with you, I really don't know if there are any); mind you, I'd personally prefer to deal with a host that has a clearly delineated bandwidth cap because every other customer with that host will have similar or the same resource restrictions, which won't affect my site.

perl -le '$_=`man perlfaq1`;print/"(j.*)"/'
    Unlimited bandwidth is an advertising phrase used for the 60% of the web hosting market who don't understand "GB" or "MB" and just want their website hosted. Most sites aren't going to use more than 30GB per month in bandwidth, and most sites won't take more than 300MB of disk space. Working on these averages, companies like my own figure that it will all even out over time. This doesn't mean we haven't eaten a lot for those few customers who take unlimited too seriously, but it all eventually works out for us, and for our customers. The same goes for Interland, and most others who have stood by providing "Unlimited." While it may be a false statement to 10% of those clients looking for that pot of gold, eg: Multimedia, Design, Gallery websites; it works out percentage-wise for the vast majority and that's who we cater to.
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.
    http://www.1NL.net
    The low cost data center.