RAM: 64MB
    Hard Drive: 20GB
    IPs Included: 2 + $1/mo per xtra IP
    BW: 40GB
    Web Server: Apache
    Set up: $150.00
    Monthly: $49.95

What am I missing here?

The catch is they are using a Cyrix processor.
    Top Hat Domains
    Internet Services for Less. Period.
    Peoria, Arizona
    http://www.tophatdomains.com

Look at the processor

Its cheap because the processor is not very good. It will have problems running database sites if you have more than 3 sites on the server.

Cool

is that all?

Doesn't seem to be much of an issue, I have used Cyrix for years.

works for me

Red face

no databases here

it's looking better every minute

keep 'em coming

If you are satisfied with Cyrix, then by all means it is a good deal.
    Top Hat Domains
    Peoria, Arizona

Thumbs down

The Cyrix-III processor is truly terrible. It is not even the processor they originally planned to release, it was changed completely at the last minute.

They are very poor at FPU intensive operations.

Look for anything faster than a Celeron 300a, it will give much better performance.

Rich
    Inspa.net
    Let us inspire you...

Heh, unless that Celeron 300a is overclocked to 450

(just kidding - please kids, do not try this at home.)
    Top Hat Domains
    Peoria, Arizona

I clocked mine to 540 mhz .

currently running a CeleryII 566 at 1130 . Would be a good, cheap server .

Rich
    Inspa.net
    Let us inspire you...

Originally posted by Cory
    anyone ever deal with these guys?
    I've never heard of them, but personally when a company puts up an "about us" page that says nothing at all about them, it's a yellow flag. Then there's a press releases page, but it has nothing on it. No physical address; just a PO Box.

Go to the Support page and click Customer Service, which links to custserv1.escaladenet.com, and... nope, "a connection with the server could not be established."

Maybe any of these things on their own wouldn't be too meaningful; but taken as a whole, I'd be pretty cautious.

[Edited by JayC on 03-20-2001 at 04:03 PM]

Exclamation

hmm.. the company just start about 2 month'..

------
    [root@server /root]# whois NETBLK-UU-65-195-30@whois.geektools.com
    [whois.geektools.com]
    Query: netblk-uu-65-195-30
    Registry: whois.arin.net
    Results:
    Syntex Networks (NETBLK-UU-65-195-30)
    2137 S. Brea Canyon Rd.
    Diamond Bar, CA 91765
    US

Netname: UU-65-195-30
    Netblock: 65.195.30.0 - 65.195.31.255

Coordinator:
    Champion, Ryan (RC1020-ARIN) ryan@syntexnet.com
    909-468-0885

Record last updated on 18-Jan-2001.
    Database last updated on 20-Mar-2001 22:41:46 EDT.

Domain Name: ESCALADENET.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Champion, Ryan ryan@syntexnet.com
    PO Box 4626
    Diamond Bar, CA 91765
    US
    909-322-4266

<CUT>

Record last updated on 20-Mar-2001.
    Record expires on 22-Jan-2002.
    Record Created on 22-Jan-2001.

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.SYNTEXNET.COM 65.195.30.9
    NS2.SYNTEXNET.COM 65.195.30.10

Originally posted by Inspa.net
    I clocked mine to 540 mhz .

currently running a CeleryII 566 at 1130 . Would be a good, cheap server .

Rich
    really? I am only able to overclock my Cel 300A to 464Mhz and my Cel II/633 to 1.1Ghz. No fancy fans... just thermaltake golden orb...

Anyway, good job

cheers,

Originally posted by WeinBar
    The catch is they are using a Cyrix processor.
    Well... the CPU is not great, but the 40GB bandwith included can justify the price... Also, wouldn't it be better to have this dedicated server all for yourself (though using cyrix) than using a P3 (all else being equal) but shared with 100 other accounts? Look at Raq3... it even uses MIPS 300Mhz.... Now, I am not so sure how great is MIPS, but the CPU itself is not that great by all means yet Raq3 can perform quite well too ...

cheers,

Smile

Originally posted by dektong

Look at Raq3... it even uses MIPS 300Mhz.... Now, I am not so sure how great is MIPS, but the CPU itself is not that great by all means yet Raq3 can perform quite well too ...

cheers,
    the raq 3 uses an amd processor, i think you are referring to the raq2 which has a mips processor.

No fancy fans... just thermaltake golden orb...
    Well they just have to be the sexiest fans on the planet! I use one for my 566 and I love it. Dirt cheap too. And when I forced it onto my 300a, I could get 560mhz stable, and was briefly able to run at 600mhz!

Using it, the Celeron 566 will run briefly at 1190mhz, and post at 1275mhz. After that I run out of bus speeds .

If I had the choice between a webserver running a CyrixIII 533 or a K6-2/450(Raq4) I'd probably take the K6. Not too sure about the K6 300 though.

A PIII-450 upwards really would make a huge difference in speed over the Cyrix. But if you're hosting sites that aren't full of complex databases and requesting SQL queries 30 times each minute, you'll probably get away with it.

If the guy who is running the servers has access to them and is friendly enough, then a cheap Celeron might make a good upgrads. They are pin to pin compatable the the Cyrix processors, and the new 800's and upwards use the 100Mhz front side bus which is a good thing. Give it 3 or 4 months and they'll be cheap as everybody would rather have a Duron, but it might be a good idea to use the Cyrix as a starting point. Then, assuming you get busy enough and the guy who owns it is happy enough, buy a processor and use it in the server, on the basis he either discounts your monthly charge, or you receive the processor back when you terminate your contract.

Rich
    Inspa.net
    Let us inspire you...

Originally posted by JayC
    Originally posted by Cory
    anyone ever deal with these guys?
    I've never heard of them, but personally when a company puts up an "about us" page that says nothing at all about them, it's a yellow flag. Then there's a press releases page, but it has nothing on it. No physical address; just a PO Box.

Go to the Support page and click Customer Service, which links to custserv1.escaladenet.com, and... nope, "a connection with the server could not be established."

Maybe any of these things on their own wouldn't be too meaningful; but taken as a whole, I'd be pretty cautious.

[Edited by JayC on 03-20-2001 at 04:03 PM]
    Physical Address:

2137 S. Brea Canyon Rd.
    Diamond Bar, CA. 91765

The reason for the PO Box is most of our customers goto that page for our mailing address.

As for the new domain name, we use to be Syntex Networks but someone else started to use our name so we simply changed it -- much easier then going through months and months of legal issues plus we wanted a change. If you WHOIS the old domain (syntexnet.com) you get a NOV-99 registration date.

As for the $49.95 box itself -- we will tell you right away its not the greatest machine in the world. If you are looking to move up from shared to dedicated hosting they are great machines and will work just fine for hosting 1-2 sites. We buy them cheap and we sell them cheap.

Originally posted by rchampion
    Physical Address:

As for the $49.95 box itself -- we will tell you right away its not the greatest machine in the world. If you are looking to move up from shared to dedicated hosting they are great machines and will work just fine for hosting 1-2 sites. We buy them cheap and we sell them cheap.

[/B]
    But with what soft this server is preinstalled? Is it possible to upgrade to more powerful server? (will I need to pay setup for this?)
    All generalizations are false, including this one.

Angry S-L-O-W response time

I've sent these guys three emails. The first two were inquiring about the special. I got a reply to the first one about two weeks later. I placed an order about 6 days ago, and got no confirmation, no reply of any kind, and after 4 days I sent another email asking for a status update. I still have not received any word whatsoever, either to my second email inquiring about the special, my order (!?), nor my email asking about the status of my order. Bizarre.

Flat5

Re: S-L-O-W response time

Originally posted by flat5
    I got a reply to the first one about two weeks later. I placed an order about 6 days ago, and got no confirmation, no reply of any kind
    What actually are you thinking? Two weeks to reply your simple email and yet you still put an order? Shouldn't this raise your worry signal already? Instead of signing up, shouldn't you turn away? I am sorry, but if your simple inguiry is not answered in 2 weeks, why would you expect their support to answer you promptly when you need it? Gee....

Bizarre.
    Yes, you are indeed bizarre....

cheers,

Hello
    Could someone double check this thread

RChampions name has got "Banned User" under it.
    I have never seen this on this board before.
    Surely if someones banned they can't post?

Gordon
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

They don't have my credit card info

So I thought it would be worth a test run. Looks like I learned what I needed to know. I fully expect to get what I pay for. All I want is the machine, I don't need hand holding. But it seems they can't provide the machine either. Oh well.

Good thing you do not give your cc info to them! But for $99/mo, I would surely recommend you to look at this: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...?threadid=9681 . Better company to deal with, definitely!

cheers,

Originally posted by GordonH
    Hello
    Could someone double check this thread

RChampions name has got "Banned User" under it.
    I have never seen this on this board before.
    Surely if someones banned they can't post?

Gordon

He was banned because of this posts.. we have started changing the user titles instead of deleting there posts and deleting the account... this way, the company gets run down everytime
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.phpsupportdesk.com
    Custom programming - kunal @ e-phoria.com
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

this indeed does like like a dodgey situation.
    I would recommend you make sure your Credit Card is protected against Online Fraud (Phone the bank to make sure) before sending any information.
    At least that way if it does go titsup.com you have nothing to loose :-)