Any good colo comanies?

Hi All,

I'm considering buying my own servers and moving out from the renting environment to the colo stage of our hosting biz. Before I jump into a hill of debt by purchasing any hardware, I would appreciate if anyone can relay good (or negative) experiences with colo companies. Does anyone have a favorite?

Thanks!

Eric

Ive heard alot of great things about rackspace, but hey are high(not for what they offer though).

Also ive heard alot about fastserver.net dedicated servers so since they also offer colocation you may want to try them.

As far as negatives,,
    Ive hear ALOT of bad things about wholesalecolo(which doesnt even know if there in business it seems),rapidcolo.

*********** seems to be a new on trying to get started that i would suggest staying away from because of the parent company its owned by and some bad experiences ive personally had with them, but thats onlly my advice.

Hope this helps.
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box

LOL i guess *********** is off to a great start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, thats funny.
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box

I've had good experience so far with AffordableColo. I believe there are several web hosts here that use them.

Richard
    Enigma Hosting
    "I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying!"

Comment from affordablecolo.com which has always made me laugh:

"WOW, IM getting 15ms ping times, this is the
    fastest network I have ever seen!"
    --Tony Gionti

15ms ping times? Is he LAN'd with the backbone or something? When I have LAN parties with my friends, they barely have 15ms pings...

lol...

Originally posted by kerplunk
    Comment from affordablecolo.com which has always made me laugh:

"WOW, IM getting 15ms ping times, this is the
    fastest network I have ever seen!"
    --Tony Gionti

15ms ping times? Is he LAN'd with the backbone or something? When I have LAN parties with my friends, they barely have 15ms pings...

lol...
    15ms looks fine to me, i've had those kinds of pings, quite rarely however. Do some traces from datacenter-to-datacenter with their little trace tools (www.traceroute.org). You'll see some pretty impressive numbers there too.

You should probably be getting less than 15ms on a LAN..

4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.242/0.254/0.269/0.010 ms
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

Defenderhosting.com has no web site?

I would put www.servercentral.net with the best of them.
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Originally posted by braysurdi
    Defenderhosting.com has no web site?
    Nope, there web designer is a putz. lol

They have a lot of customers though. Tom even showed me a pic of his house. ;-)

I got a 12ms ping to my server, granted the server was in chicago and I was in a suburb. At any rate its not impossible. Go with Verio if you want the best.
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Originally posted by kerplunk

Nope, there web designer is a putz. lol

They have a lot of customers though. Tom even showed me a pic of his house. ;-)
    They host out of some guy's house?

Edit: NO, they don't host out of anyone's house. I misunderstood a comment above. Clarified below.

How do they get customers without a website? Word of mouth?
    Last edited by Lurker; 09-09-2002 at 01:25 AM.

DOH!

No, we aren't hosted out of my house!

The house thing started one day when I was talking to Kerplunk, and he sent me a pic of his house, and I sent him one of mine.

We are hosted at ServInt and moving to Equinix in a few weeks (can't wait!!).

Our site is being done/finsihed, but yes, most of our business is word of mouth, and been that way for almost a year now.

I'm not interested in going after the $99/5595959595959595GB server market, too low margin, and way to many headaches. Our business plan and model is in colocation and higher end servers, though we do now and again do some $100 servers when we buy extra's.

I just want to repeat again, since some folks will take this out of context - WE ARE NOT HOSTED OUT OF MY HOUSE!!! We are in a real DC, but I do have a full T1 to my house :-).

Tom
    Tom

Re: DOH!

Originally posted by TomK
    ..but I do have a full T1 to my house :-).
    Business must be going well, eh?

Yes

Yes, business is well.

BUT, the T1 is covered by my wireless ISP business that we run too, NOT the hosting company.

Sort of a community thing, enough to cover the T1 and in return, high-speed services since DSL is "sold out" and cable isn't here yet.

And let me clarify this, the T1 is waiting on install from Savvis/Verizon to replace 3 DSL lines in place today.

Tom

Red face I got one!!

Originally posted by dreamHOBO
    I wait for the day I can afford a T1 line in my house...I would be pimp master of everyone.

I have one but since worldcomm is going out of business and I moved all my servers to my NOC, I'm letting it go.
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

Re: DOH!

Originally posted by TomK
    I just want to repeat again, since some folks will take this out of context - WE ARE NOT HOSTED OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!
    Sorry about putting some false info out there. I've edited my post to reflect my misunderstanding. Glad to hear you're not a HouseHost. Equinix should be nice.
    Last edited by Lurker; 09-09-2002 at 01:34 AM.

hi everyone!
    i am new out here, and was wondering if any body of you know about Rackspace, Datapipe or Webreseller dedicated web hosting services.

waiting for your replies

caretaker

I can't get either ADSL or Cable..... however there is a C&W POP in my area..... for 600/mbit I could get a leased line to it
    Unlimited Space & Bandwidth
    http://localhost/
    Providing hosting since 17/99/3003

Originally posted by jdp29053
    Ive heard alot of great things about rackspace, but hey are high(not for what they offer though).

Also ive heard alot about fastserver.net dedicated servers so since they also offer colocation you may want to try them.

As far as negatives,,
    Ive hear ALOT of bad things about wholesalecolo(which doesnt even know if there in business it seems),rapidcolo.

*********** seems to be a new on trying to get started that i would suggest staying away from because of the parent company its owned by and some bad experiences ive personally had with them, but thats onlly my advice.

Hope this helps.

What bad things have you ever heard about rapidcolo?
    Last edited by Vortech; 09-21-2002 at 03:59 PM.

perl -le '$_=`man perlfaq1`;print/"(j.*)"/'

Re: Re: DOH!

Originally posted by Nadav

Business must be going well, eh?
    T1s aren't terribly expensive, depending on how much quality you want. I've seen full T1s range from $400 for a ghetto connection, to $1,200, which is what I'm paying with Qwest for my personal T1 after taxes, loop, and basic Cisco equipment rental. However, that money isn't coming out of my CEO position, rather; my BOFH abilities at a local ISP.

BTW, I need a raise.
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.
    http://www.1NL.net
    The low cost data center.

$800/mo is the best I can find for my area, though I would love to find a provider for like $300-$400/mo, even if it's a fractional T1.