Credit Card Help

Hello

I have obtained a service from a hosting company which charges my card automatically every month. Three days ago he called me an told that my card is being declined and I need to change my card or do something. I paid the charge with my another card.

After that when I tried to use my card on other places I saw that my card is being declined everywhere so I contacted my credit card company.

They told there are 7 charges with the same amount and 2 other charges with the same amount on your card but they are all in preauthorization status and they are not finalized and this is why my card is locked (it has reached its limit). They say those charges do not have "post date" on them too.

All of thse charges match the exact amount of my invoices with above company (Even decimals and I did not have any other billing on that card.)

I contacted the company and they tell you can call your credit card company and tell them that we have not charged your card.

Now what? Are those charges appeared on credit card (which are in preauthorization state) really charged to my card or they will be released.

If they are going to be released when is that? And what has been the reason?

Thank you,
    Mac

wait...

You should just wait 24-48 hours and those "authorizations" should just go away.

Just wait a day or two and let us know how it turns out.

Thank you for your help,

But it is 9 days left from first transaction (and 3 days since last of them).

Mac

Pre-authorisations can sometimes exist for a week before they are released.

Given it's been 9 days since the first of the pre-authorisations, you should check again to see if that first one has disappeared by now (ie, been released).

If it hasn't, then contact your credit card provider, explain the situation and ask them to remove the pre-authorisations. Also provide them with the contact details of the merchant (ie, the hosting company) in case they need to liase with them to get everything cleared up.

Thank you for your help,

I was speaking with my credit card company yesterday. They pass me to merchant and merchant passes to CC company

Do you know if those will be removed at least at the end of the billing month? I think neither of them are able (or at least know how to ) remove those.

Thank you again,
    Mac

Your CC company should be able to handle it.

Originally posted by wmac
    Thank you for your help,

I was speaking with my credit card company yesterday. They pass me to merchant and merchant passes to CC company

Do you know if those will be removed at least at the end of the billing month? I think neither of them are able (or at least know how to ) remove those.

Thank you again,
    Mac
    You shouldn't have to wait that long (ie, until the end of the billing month), but if you're prepared to, fair enough. Maybe they'll be cleared out when the new billing cycle starts.

It depends if you're patient enough to wait that long.

And given you're card's at its limit, it also depends whether you need to use your card in the meantime.

If you have the luxury of waiting until the end of your billing month without being inconvenienced, then try that.

But if you need to get it resolved sooner, you could "press" your credit card provider harder on this.

I presume you've just rang their telephone hotline and spoke to a fairly unhelpful call-centre operator.

Are they a bank with physical branches ? Walk into the branch and go to their Enquiries Counter, and ask them to sort it out. Bring some hard-copy evidence along (eg, ATM slips showing your available balance, or print-outs from your internet banking). If the Enquires Counter can't assist, then demand to see the Branch Manager. They'll get it sorted out sooner if you press them hard enough.

If you're using someone like AMEX, they should have a representative office in your nearest city, again you could drop in to see them (just like dropping into a bank branch).

Tell your hosting company to "ease up" on the pre-authorisations in the future as well, or you'll switch to another host.

They got you into this mess in the first place.

They're entitled to make ONE pre-authorisation on your card at any one time, but not a whole bunch of them.

What, was their staff member using their credit card terminal a bit hyperactive when they were processing your card !?

Originally posted by choose another name
    [BWhat, was their staff member using their credit card terminal a bit hyperactive when they were processing your card !? [/B]
    Lol, good one there.. possibly so, I guess

In fact I was speaking with direct responsible person in the company. If she can do it then she may be does not like to do it.

I must ask her again and see what happens.

And about the company, they are using an automatic billing system. A cron job runs charging function I think so it has tried once or twice a day to charge the card.

Thank you again for your comments and help.

Mac

Originally posted by wmac
    ... A cron job runs charging function I think ...
    You'd better hope that cron job doesn't get stuck in an infinite loop next time