Question Is my VPS Hosting not providing enough resources for my websites? Time to upgade?

Hosting: VPS Hosting with 320 MB min and 1024 MB burst.

Websites: All the websites (about 20+) on my current vps hosting are very database heavy. They include blogs, ecommerce sites and a few small forums.

Before: In the beginning, when I had less than 10 websites on my hosting, the web hosting worked great. No hiccups and all websites worked flawlessly.

Now: Now that I'm hosting 20+ websites, I find that websites sometimes tend to timeout or not show up in my browser as well as browsers in other locations.

Do you think I need more resources? Do you think that upgrading to Hybrid Server hosting will rectify the situation? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Sounds like you are hitting the limits of your current resources. Burst RAM should never be counted on.

Very database heavy sites require RAM and IO. You probably need more RAM and likely need more IO (Disk and CPU).

What do you get when you execute top? Have you done your best to optimize the VPS for both database usage? Have you optimized the databases? Could you move the database to another VPS plan and then have two packages communicate with each other (some providers will even allow this traffic to be free via internal network)?

A hybrid server may make the most sense eventually but look at all the options.

It sounds like you're using too many resources. As the previous poster pointed out, burst is for exceptional circumstances only (i.e. usage spikes) it's not necessarily always there and its availability depends on the overall memory load on the host node. So really you only have 320MB to rely on which doesn't sound like a lot for 20 websites but of course that depends on the nature of the sites.

You can see how much memory you're using by typing in "free". You should also check your system logs (in /var/log) for memory failures and error messages. If your VPS is openvz (if you have burst memory it quite possibly is) you can see resource allocation failure counts using the following command:

Code:
    cat /proc/user_beancounters
    A hybrid is just a large vps, so you may just want to upgrade your plan with your host, which is normally a very simple procedure.
    Blue Room Hosting - High availability UK VPS
    KVM Plans - Multiple OS support. Virtual console and CD drive.

Jut go with a dedicated server with lots of ram to do php caching. That will get you off the high disk I/O which will make your sites load faster.

Thing is that if you go cheap you will end up with visitor counts going down every month..
    Cheapest Multiple C Class IP Hosting

Question

I was also considering splitting up the websites between (2) VPS Hosting accounts. The (2) accounts cost less than upgrading to a Hybrid server.

Do you guys think this will be a viable solution to maxing out my resources since I will have equal share on 2 cpu's?

Which do you think will perform better (the 2 vps hosting accounts or 1 hybrid server account)?

Having more resources will most probably help you get things running again.

However, given the choice between two small VPS and one large one (given that a hybrid is just a big VPS) I'd choose the larger one every time - that way you don't have to try and balance out websites evenly between the two, and you don't have the overhead of administrating two separate virtual servers.

Maybe if you post full details of your existing plan and the "hybrid" you are considering, people here can help you to compare them or find an alternative solution.
    Blue Room Hosting - High availability UK VPS
    KVM Plans - Multiple OS support. Virtual console and CD drive.

Typically, hybrid servers will give you more resources (RAM, CPU, Disk i/o) than 2 regular VPS. In your case, Disk I/O is probably fairly important, right next to RAM.

As blueroomhosting said, post your /proc/user_beancounters and we can tell you if your maxing out in anything. Have you tried optimizing your VPS and the installed applications?

How do I find my "/proc/user_beancounters"?

I'm using DirectAdmin and what I do know is:

Total Memory: 327,680 kB
    Free Memory: Usually stays in the 30,000's kB but I've seen this drop to 0 sometimes. These are the times when some my websites don't function all too well - OR - don't even show up.

Will doubling up my memory help? Should I just add more memory rather than upgrade to hybrid?

Thanks guys.

In my view you may be better off finding or upgrading to VPS with 1024mb guaranteed ram.
    24Shells in Business Since 2003 - AS55081
    Dedicated Servers, High Bandwidth Servers
    @24Shells - 24shells.net

Try more memory first. And if you're hosting with whom I suspect, contact their support. You might not be as optimized as you can be.

Also, if you're using WordPress, keep in mind certain plugins are very inefficient. It's well worth testing to see if you have an offending one. Specifically, any that have to check the database, or add more tables to the database, are usually the culprits. Forums have the same failing when you start adding mods.

Try those first, since I wouldn't recommend a dedicated server (they're unmanaged) since you seem to be better with managed. In which case the managed hybrid solution may be the way to go.
    Sue

A generation which ignores history has no past — and no future. --Lazarus Long

Try using WP-Cache and see if it brings down the load on your server.