Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is There Nothing Better Than Rackshack.net?????

ARE THESE GUYS SIMPLY THE BEST IN THE GAME? LOWEST PRICED FOR MOST FUNCITIONALITY?
    www.WhoisDatabase.com

Re: Is There Nothing Better Than Rackshack.net?????

Originally posted by mjtint
    ARE THESE GUYS SIMPLY THE BEST IN THE GAME? LOWEST PRICED FOR MOST FUNCITIONALITY?
    No they are the worst company I have ever dealt with. And quit your yelling
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Given the recent rackshak spam policy I would be worried about going with them for putting shared hosting customers on - might be good for single site servers though.

"Best" is as subjective as something like beauty. Obviously some people have had great experience with Rackshack, and some have not. It depends on your skill level with server admin and your luck I guess.

They are certainly one of the cheapest dedicated server hosts around. The best host will always depend on your own needs as GeorgeC pointed out.
    dBforums.com - Database design, development and administration.

>"Best" is as subjective as something like beauty. Obviously some people have had great experience with Rackshack, and some have not. It depends on your skill level with server admin and your luck I guess.<

Not anymore true for RS now, things have changed over there. As RS's growing bigger, customer's satisfaction is going lower. They don't care their customers anymore. My suggestion, avoid this host if you can, you won't regret that later like most did.

well, they are cheap but there are some cheap ones out there too like nocster or fastservers in terms of monthly.

do not be trapped by their cheap setup fee. but if for personal site, it is ok to go with them..

If RS is not the best and cheapest, then who is??

To Howard: I wetn to www.fastservers.net and they are more expensive. What were you talking about?
    www.WhoisDatabase.com

www.fdcservers.net is about the same pricing as rackshack but their policies are better toward customers reguarding bandwith

hehe

What are so bad about RS policies?
    www.WhoisDatabase.com

You can't really have a 'best' for something that has multiple possible applications. They are definatly one of the most successful low priced dedicated server companies but generally the 'best' in quality isnt the 'best' in price and visa versa.

-Brendan

mjtint: How long is a piece of string?

It's the same as the question that you just asked, without more information, there is no definitive answer.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Rackshack's network certainly beats any other 99$ server networks alough some good companies run the odd special. There are several other companies around that offer a similar deal on pricing to.

Rackshack arn't realy as cheap as everyone thinks though I mean to add another harddrive costs a fair bit on top of which there 8% tax added in where as other companies you pay what they say on there site. Also most other companies can charge you a big setup on extra's and be more flexable rackshack on the other hand is not flexable in the slighest. Also most of rs's tech's don't realy much more than the words restore. There not the best in alot of area's but it realy depends on what you need.

What are so bad about RS policies?
    well in the recent past they have mis-charged their customers for bandwith overages even though their meter was broke. Some customers signed up for garaunteed un-metered dedicated connections at a premium price(an unmeasured connection that remains until your own server gives out) and when rackshack felt they were using too much bandwith they decided to cut them and charge them for overages without warning even though they were paying for an "un-metered" connection and their servers were still operational. You recieve an email AFTER you have been charged!

Their bandwith monitor has been up and down for the past 2 years and has never given the customer an accurate reflection of what they say the users are using.

Many of their users installed bandwith monitors on their servers on their own and weighed their results against what RS said and found enormous inconsistencies. When these inconsistencies begin costing you or your business $1.50/gigabyte the sweat starts to mount.

If you are running a server with a 400 GB liimit and measure yourself to use for example (300 GB in a month) but rackshack's broken monitor says you used 800 GB, guess what bud, you will find a $600 charge for overages on your credit card!
    You may or may not find out about it until you recieve an e-mail a day later stating you are over bandwith

More recently they accused practically all users on their network of outrageous overages due to an error causing widespread panic and never sent out e-mails explaining the situation. I just about SHIOT my pants when i read "Your current bandwidth for your server is at 6752 gigabytes of transfer.
    The maximum for your account is 400 gigabytes."
    They posted an explanation on their webboard and thats about it (but how many of their users bother to read their web board?) An email would have been nice.

I just think they should not charge overages until they impliment a successfully tested monitoring system tested in their environment and even then, No self respecting business goes and automatically charges a client $1000 on a credit card without consulting them first.

just read these forums and you will find over 200 stories like this (if they haven't been erased yet)

hehe

btw,

RS owns these forums now so expect a little bias in their favor from the posts that remain

If you don't mind shelling out an extra $36 on top of $99 a month for a dedicated server, I think www.fastservers.net is the best route.

Originally posted by xelA
    If you don't mind shelling out an extra $36 on top of $99 a month for a dedicated server, I think www.fastservers.net is the best route.

at a maximum offering of only 300GB/month fastservers doesn't seem like a route at all for some of us

exactly, so what is the best route to take?
    www.WhoisDatabase.com

well what is your plan for your server?

what do you plan to do?
    host?
    serve media/files?
    serve plain http pages?

how many users do you have?

how much bandwith would you need in a month?

what kind of processes would you be running on your server?

do you need support or are you a unix/apache guru?

what kind of speed do you need?

you need to factor in all sorts of things

I'm going to be needing as much as bandwith I can get, over 300GB is for sure. I'll be hosting multiple domains.
    www.WhoisDatabase.com

ok but what do you intend to do with the bandwith?

Another question, what is the difference bettween managed servers and non managed? What do they do for you? Is it the way to go?
    www.WhoisDatabase.com

I do not have a bandwith limit, as much as I can get for the cheapest, hopefully lower than 95 bucks a year.
    www.WhoisDatabase.com

I do not have a bandwith limit, as much as I can get for the cheapest, hopefully lower than 95 bucks a year.
    $95 a year??

LOL
    that wont get you squat

count on paying at least $99/month for any basic bare bones server and bandwith

unmanaged = do it yourself set up, installs, etc.
    they give you access to a machine from a DOS prompt
    thats all you get. If your hardware fails, you usually get to complain about that. but thats it!

managed = they do it for you, costs more but anything you ask for is done. webserver install, configurations, etc.

so with managed they even set up customer/new domain name accounts for you for free?
    www.WhoisDatabase.com

so with managed they even set up customer/new domain name accounts for you for free?
    most of the time, yes

depends who you go with
    but expect to pay upwards of $150/month for a service like that with any type of bandwith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast