Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by hosty

Marshall, please post relevant post. I know we don't see eye to eye, but its not fair on others for you to come and post irrelevant stuff here. We are trying to discuss the issue of SSL (the yellow padlock), what this padlock mean to the user and future of this yellow padlock now that the perception of this padlock might change. We don't care which company is doing this or not doing it, all we care in this thread is our opinion about possible implication of changing the perception of what SSL (the yellow padlock) mean to end users.

You are more than welcome to post relevant information but please respect others by not posting irrelevant stuff.

Thank you for your understanding

Hosty
    Educating the end user about the importance of the provider of the "yellow padlock" is crucial, don't you think?

But Geotrust/rackshack are issuing certificates without validating the companies. So to an end user they will see the yellow padlock and they will assume that whatever the company name is showing can be trusted, because they will assume the CA has validated them.
    You're having this discussion on WHT which is prob the top 1% of web users/hosts in the world.

I highly doubt that an average webserver has any idea the process of obtaining a SSL cert and have no idea if they validate the organization.

I help admin some movie film related sites. Lots of people buy stuff off those sites (affiliate links etc). I'm going to post a poll there and see what the padlock means to them. I'll post a link once there are some replies.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

Originally posted by Marshall

Educating the end user about the importance of the provider of the "yellow padlock" is crucial, don't you think?
    of course this is also important but I would apreciate if you stick to the topic in this thread, alternatively you are more than welcome to start a thread about ssl suppliers in a different thread. You are again posting irrelevant information in this post. If you continue, i will have to ask the moderator to remove your irrelevant postings.

Please show some respect to people in this forum for once!

Thank you.

Hosty
    Last edited by hosty; 09-05-2002 at 06:55 PM.

Originally posted by ffeingol

You're having this discussion on WHT which is prob the top 1% of web users/hosts in the world.

I highly doubt that an average webserver has any idea the process of obtaining a SSL cert and have no idea if they validate the organization.

I help admin some movie film related sites. Lots of people buy stuff off those sites (affiliate links etc). I'm going to post a poll there and see what the padlock means to them. I'll post a link once there are some replies.

Frank
    Wow! Thanks Frank!This is priceless. Much appreciate it. Look forward to your post.
    just a quick thought: are you going to give them options to choose from? if so could I possible suggest the two elements:
    1)Does padlock mean your information secure?
    2)Does padlock mean the company you see can be trusted?

thanks
    hosty

of course this is also important but I would apreciate if you stick to the topic in this thread, alternatively you are more than welcom to start a thread about ssl suppliers in a different thread. You are again posting irrelevant information in this post. If you continue, i will have to ask the moderator to remove your irrelevant postings.

Please show some respect to people in this forum for once!

Thank you.

Hosty
    It's hard to stick to a topic that first starts by questioning Rackshack's ethics and slowly moves to who knows where.

It's hard to stick to a topic that first starts by questioning Rackshack's ethics and slowly moves to who knows where.
    I was not questioning RackShack's ethics but merely trying to establish how widespread this SSL practice of not validating companies is. Rackshack is a respectable company. I hope this now clarifies the issue and now you can let us carry on with our discussion in this thread or join us with relevant postings.

Thank you

Hosty

But have a look at https://www.deahost.com/ they claim they have got it from Rackshack and I know Rackshack are geotrust resellers, but freessl is a geotrust product as well.

So I would appreciate any feedback by looking at the certificates rackshack has issued to see who the root key is from. Maybe this would explain why Rackshack charge only $49 for their ssl, cos its not an equifax root?

hosty
    If this is not questioning Rackshack's business ethics, I wonder what is.

If this is not questioning Rackshack's business ethics, I wonder what is.
    Marshall I explained my position once. I said I do not question Rackshack's ethics. You are entitled to your own interpretation and opinion.

Now can you please leave us to discuss our topic.

thanks

hosty

I was not questioning RackShack's ethics but merely trying to establish how widespread this SSL practice of not validating companies is.

Thank you

Hosty
    You do not establish the above by first implying that Rackshack is reselling Freessl certificates.

You do not establish the above by first implying that Rackshack is reselling Freessl certificates.
    Marshall we know you are the CEO of Geotrust and because I cought you lying about your competition and exposed you in these forums your are pissed off. Understandable. But hey you should not try to build business based on deciet and lies. There are number of us who have been subject to your childish attitude and subject to your blatant deceit and lies.

you can find how I cought Geotrust and GeotrustCEO's (Marshall) lies and deceit and how I exposed them on this forum but here is one of the recent discussions:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...958#post548958

Some excerpts from this discussions about the CEO of Geotrust made by Hilda from ePerfect.net:

"The attitude of the Geotrust CEO is alone sufficient to undo millions of dollars worth of marketing efforts. Should be a case study."

Marshall (Geotrust CEO) despite all this, you think you can come to these forums lie thru your teeth expect us to be stupid and say hey, what a great guy and we believe your lies and come and become your resellers

Look what you made me do, I came down to your level and I hate that.

I have answered your questions and yet you keep asking the same question. I explained what I meant, but you keep repeating your opinion. We read your opinion once and you don't have to repeat it. OK!!!

So now Marshall (Geotrust CEO), I am asking again please leave us to discuss the "future of SSL, its perception by users and how the changes in the SSL validation will effect this perception".

If for whatever reason you don't want this discussion to take place and trying to spoil the discussion then tell us why?

One Pissed Off Hosty

Anyone reading this (Especially Frank who has kindly volunteered to run an online poll regarding what SSL means to an end user please see my new thread (hopefully minus Marshall (Geotrust CEO) ), I am starting a new thread

We have now moved to a new thread called:

Future of SSL, its perception by users and how this will change?

See you guys there

Hosty

Marshall we know you are the CEO of Geotrust ...........
    I think it's about time you cured the habit of falsely accusing anyone who does not agree with you, don't you?

Originally posted by chrisb
    Geotrust != Equifax. They may be the same company, but the certificates are not the same as they were when they were Equifax. When they were Equifax, their certificates used a Thawte root certificate for great compatibility. They no longer use a Thawte root and not nearly as compatible as they were when they were Equifax. So, if you have Geotrust, please don't say you have an Equifax certificate. It's just not true.
    Partially correct! The Geotrust QuickSSL is not the old Equifax eBusinessID cert that was used Thawte as its root, but The GeoTrust True BusinessID is that same cert and does use the Thawte root. Having said that, the True BusinessID cert is $229 a year.
    Marty Hoskins
    http://tlcwe.com

We have now moved to a new thread called:

Future of SSL, its perception by users and how this will change?

See you guys there

Hosty
    I believe data mining is not allowed on WHT, please do not break the forum rules.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12