Thread: Win2K Backup

Win2K Backup

I was wondering how reliable the Windows 2000 backup software is. I plan on buying Backup Exec for my colocated, but for right now I need to do a few backups. When i say Win2k backup software i mean the preinstalled MS utility. thanks

Hello,

I have not had any problem with it. Even I restored a Active Directory servers with it (I had prepared a system backup).

What do you want to backup ? Data? system settings or what?

Mac

I will be backing up SQL Sever database backup files and teh contents of the site, around a gig or so. do you think it will be reliable? thanks

Yes, these are simple data files and I am sure windows backup will be able to do that for you.

But are you going to write those backups to a tape drive or what? Anyway what are you planning for SQL server , IIS, DNS, Mailserver etc settings?

If your server crashes then you will need hours to be able to create them from scratch and restore contents.

But I am sure MSBackup is efficient enough for your simple data files. I use it to backup our multiprocessore Proliant servers (with 12 SCSI drives) to tape drive and never had any problem with data files. The only problem that may come across is settings of different software installed on each server.

In our business we need to restore everything very quickly or we may lose our job (I am admin of central data center of a bank)

Mac

Originally posted by wmac
    In our business we need to restore everything very quickly or we may lose our job (I am admin of central data center of a bank)

Mac
    then you should NOT use MSBackup but Veritas backup. It's the only way to quickly and securely backup SQL databases.
    I sell nothing, I only buy

It's not just SQL databases. We have a lot of different types of data files. Some of them are in SQL files and some of them are not.

Our old banking program uses our internally ceated database engine and file system while new programs use SQL server and we have developed a converter suite which converts two systems to each other automatically.

By the way I always have a replicated database on another SQL server.

Mac