Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: War on Iraq

War on Iraq

Is anyone concerned about the effect the imminant attack on Iraq is going to have on their business? With the stock market falling like a lead balloon already, this isn't really what the doctor ordered.

And if the unthinkable were to happen again, and we were caught up in another September 11 situation how would the corporate world cope? Are these valid concerns or am I just being paranoid?
      0 Not allowed!

These are valid concerns. Work dried up considerably for us after the sept11 attack.

Things are starting to get better now but that is worrying!
      0 Not allowed!

If you have a solid profit making business i dont see anything to worry about.
      0 Not allowed!

Wars are supposed to improve business...but usually just for the defense industry.
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct
      0 Not allowed!

With all due respect, there were plenty of companies who are solid and profitable before the unfortunate events of last year who now cease to exist. Those that survived are hardly what they used to be. You have to take into account the increase in oil prices which will indirectly effect this area of the market. An internet prescence is, essentially, a luxury for most companies and if the fat cats are struggling to keep the company afloat, it will be the last thing on their mind.
      0 Not allowed!

Has there been a recent oil price incresse? Seems like it stayed under 2 bucks for the summer. THats pretty good here
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SplashHost.com
    If you have a solid profit making business i dont see anything to worry about.
    Simplistic reasoning but not accurate. All our businesses are subject to the various variables that surrond us. No man is an island. We're all connected in the great game of life. If a nuke drops in the USA, we're all effected. It doesn't matter if your business is profitable or not. You'll still feel the effect as the ripples [timeline variables] work their way around the world.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

No man is an island
    yes you are right ... John Donne (1572-1631), 'No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main...'

0 Not allowed!

Another question? Should the US and it's allies attack Iraq if so why? If not why?
      0 Not allowed!

yes, if they drop a nuke and it kills ALOT of people that is ALOT of people that Cant ever buy from you. Plus the other people are spending there money on trying to prevent thereselves from dieing. So the chance of thme buying from you after a MAJOR attack like that would be very slim.
    300+ Templates
    http://www.templates911.com
      0 Not allowed!

LOL an attack on fellow man is not good.. but people do need to be kept under control.... I don't think I signed up anybody from Iraq this year so I'm not that worried either way......

I don't think honestly I'd host an Iraq site now.... what are your thoughts?

rm -rf binladen
      0 Not allowed!

Wait Steve your in NZ the only country with an undefense minister
      0 Not allowed!

Wait Steve your in NZ the only country with an undefense minister
    LOL.... we are safe because we are so far away from everyone. that's the nz defence policy I'm sure...
      0 Not allowed!

Simplistic reasoning but not accurate. All our businesses are subject to the various variables that surrond us. No man is an island. We're all connected in the great game of life. If a nuke drops in the USA, we're all effected. It doesn't matter if your business is profitable or not. You'll still feel the effect as the ripples [timeline variables] work their way around the world.
    Yeah, a nuke goes off and busts a big pipe...... that serves your DC.. now that would affect you
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Dotcomsnz

LOL.... we are safe because we are so far away from everyone. that's the nz defence policy I'm sure...
    I don't know Steve You sure you can trust these Aussies? They are pretty close and still pissed over Ansett
      0 Not allowed!

I suggest we just Format the whole country, reboot it and install it again fresh.

I suggest we install them with the human equivalent of DOS, its implistic and does what you tell it to do

www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Monte

They are pretty close and still pissed over Ansett
    Beh, Ansett was the worst airline I've ever flown with (although I've only ever flown with 5 so I'm not that experienced).

Their planes were old, ricketty and all you could smell in flight were the nauseating fumes from the fuel. Once when I flew, take off was delayed by 3 hours because of "mechanical difficulties".

Impulse Airlines - the best "budget" airline (until it got swallowed up by Qantas). Nice new planes that always smelt so fresh. I only got to fly Impulse twice which was a shame.

Qantas - okay food, decent service, nice planes but not as nice as Impulse. Impulse's planes are in the Qantas fleet, but I've never been on one of them since.

Virgin Blue - alright airline. Terminal is too small though and an absolute nightmare in holiday season. I flew with them once.

Air Niugini - the last flight I took was with them in December last year. This airline had great service - nice staff, etc. I was originally supposed to fly Qantas but I found out I was the only one booked on the flight so it was cancelled (damn... I wanted a private plane ). I wasn't about to make my way back to the domestic terminal to get a Qantas flight there so I kicked up a stink and Qantas put me on the Air Niugini flight at the International terminal (they paid of course)

However... I've always preferred airlines that use Boeing planes. I don't really like Airbus planes; during take-off they always feel like they don't have enough "grunt" to get off the ground .

Anyway, now that my airline overview is finished - I'll get back on topic. You'll generally find that I'm totally against any act of war... you strike them, they'll just strike back and then we'll have a ping-pong type match of attacks.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net
      0 Not allowed!

ROFL!!!
      0 Not allowed!

LOLOL thanks for the review. If you really want a airline review someday just ask I have flown them all with over 2 million miles under my belt.

I am still wondering tho why do we need to attack Iraq, sure they are a pain in the butt, but we are going to lose allot of good men for what? Is it really worth it? Will the world be a safer place because of it or worse off with more people wanting to see us hurt anyway possible.

I am still waiting for Bush to show a reason.
      0 Not allowed!

If we go into Iraq, we have to do it properly, not like we did in '91. Stay there afterwards and install a stable government, help the repressed Kurds etc.

An attack on Iraq will crash the stock market though... the Israeli situation isn't helping at present, and I daresay September 10th would be a good time to buy some stock.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!
      0 Not allowed!

I did not read all the posts and this is kind of one of those topics where everyone will always disagree.. I think it is time we did something and do it soon, while we are waiting around they are just getting more and more time to get ready.. Remember these weapons that we are worried about them having affect the safety of everyone you, me your family and everyone you know.. I say it is time to quit worrying about all the "political correctness" and go kick some ass and ask questions later. I truely think that alot of the reason why we have what we have is because we stick up for ourselves and never let people push us around.. and by trying to make everyone happy I feel we are going to end up loosing more than if we just went in a did it the way it should be done.. On Sept 11 we basically go sucker punched while we were not even looking and we were stunned for a while and now its time to show them who is the big dog.. I know people will die but people (including myself) know its worth it to protect what we have and what our next generations will have.. That my 0.02 god bless.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Dotcomsnz
    LOL an attack on fellow man is not good.. but people do need to be kept under control.... I don't think I signed up anybody from Iraq this year so I'm not that worried either way......

I don't think honestly I'd host an Iraq site now.... what are your thoughts?

rm -rf binladen
    well..if you host an iraq company, then their company get bombed and go out of business, then you got paid for the hosting (hopefully paid annually), but now dont have to host them anymore or at least leave their site hanging, which free you up with bandwidth.
    Banner Design - Professional Designs - 24hr Turn-Around Guaranteed - 20DollarBanners.com

Online Photo Editor
    Retouch or Add effects to your photos with 1 click
      0 Not allowed!

If they do attack the iraq then we wiill have little oil being imported from the middle each which will cause us all to suffer. Its also going to cost the taxpayer alot of money for the cost of going to war with someone. Iraq also apparently has alot of biological weapons and it could end up escalating into a very large war. And is likely to have little effect after all we wnt to war with them in the Gulf War which didnt make much difference as we are looking to go to war with them again.
      0 Not allowed!

alan your in scotland slightly different then being in the us, even if your customers are there. here in the uk business is booming for some reason. i dont know what your split on usa \ uk \ rest of world customers is, but we do moderate with the us and lots from the uk, and a suprising amount from canada and australia.
    war on iraq doesnt bother me one but, im the same as you, proffitable business and no signs of change even with sept 11 thrown in. i have no problems with war on iraq. im not happy with the idea of mad men who hate us having nasty weapons.
    --
    Rich
      0 Not allowed!

hahaha..........

Iraq has always been used as a scape goat by the U.S government..

When Clinton had a sex scandal... what did he do? Bomb Iraq! so the media changed the topic..

Why didn't they remove saddam in 91? Because its benefits the United States, because with saddam intact arab countries where willing to sell cheap cheap cheap oil in return for protection from the United States, now if saddam goes, those arabs will not need protection anymore, so they will kick U.S out and no cheap oil
      0 Not allowed!

Do you have any proof that they are mad men and hate you and have nasty weapons?

Or is that just the propaganda being spread around where you live?

haha sad..

Originally posted by richy
    alan your in scotland slightly different then being in the us, even if your customers are there. here in the uk business is booming for some reason. i dont know what your split on usa \ uk \ rest of world customers is, but we do moderate with the us and lots from the uk, and a suprising amount from canada and australia.
    war on iraq doesnt bother me one but, im the same as you, proffitable business and no signs of change even with sept 11 thrown in. i have no problems with war on iraq. im not happy with the idea of mad men who hate us having nasty weapons.
      0 Not allowed!

I am the minester of Peace - the most hated job on Earth these days, everyone prefers to nuke, kill and murder. Every war has been "the war to end all wars" since the last 1,000 years - Good luck with your wars - hope it makes you a few more millions/billions - never mind human misery
      0 Not allowed!

The Kurds

The Kurds are likely to be hiding Al Qaeda, and Mr. Hussein hates the kurds. We are protecting the kurds with the no fly zone
    Gene Franco - Head Domain Broker
    www.sonicdomains.com - Make your sales move faster
      0 Not allowed!

Eugene so true...

Mr Hussein also hates Bin Laden & Al Qaeda, because if you look at it in 1991, Bin Laden made such remarks as "who needs the U.S, we can take care of Iraq ourselves" etc...

Also Hussein is not a radical muslim, he has been keeping the radicals in south iraq under control for some time now.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by voxtreme-matt
    ...and I daresay September 10th would be a good time to buy some stock.
    Ahhhhh, the markets will be so spooked on Sep 11 [they should close for the day] that decliners [sellers] will have it all over advancers [buyers], thus forcing the prices down [supply/demand is a dog].

Maybe Sep 11 will be the day to go bottom fishing * for a dead cat bounce ** on Sep 12-13 when the media rolls out the usual positive BS with their usual flag waving propaganda.

BAH the system don't work!!

* get some so called bargins NOT!!

** if you drop a dead cat out the window - it will still bounce. Stocks that take a hammering by 20% of more will usually bounce the next day, no matter how much of a dog they are.

Ok, I'm done rambling on here....
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

I think Bush is trying to play Saddam's bluff. It looks more like they are playing chicken with each other. Either Bush is waiting for Saddam to flinch or he is out to get rid of the dictator - to finish off what his daddy started. Geez they were a few KM's away from Saddam in '91 and they let him go. I'll bet ya Bush Sr. is still kickin himself over that one. j/k there were other reasons for the withdrawal.
    The Iraqi gov't would have really been screwed up if he were eliminated. There wasn't anyone "worthy" that could take his place (The US didn't like his possible predecessors)

This whole thing with the Arab states and the US is just over oil. There is no grudge match, its just who has the bigger guns to control the most sought after commodity in the world. Who in turn pretty much controls the world economy. I wouldn't be surprised if %40 of North America's economy came from oil. (Especially Canada).

If you've watched the news neither George Dubya, or Tony Blair are getting much support for this action. I really think Bush is getting himself into much more than he bargained for. It just a matter of time before someone fires a shot, and then we quite possibly have another world war on our hands. I think a lot of countries are tired of the US policing them. The only reason they do it is because they have vested interest. If hypothetically, communism suddenly broke out on a remote island you wouldn't see American troops move in to crush the system. They have no interest in it, and thus theres no point in going in.

I believe that the only reason the U.S. still has a bouyant economy is because of war. Since WW2 there hasn't been a time where America didn't have troops out fighting somewhere. The defense business is huge! Think of how much money is poured into the automobile, firearm, and steel business. And now we have computer technology guiding our unmanned aircraft. No wonder the US hasn't remained stagnant. Look at Canada for instance, we have a miniscule army and navy. If we were ever attacked, God help us! Our defense budget is 2 - 3 times smaller than the US, and that was before September 11th. Think of the spending now.

If bush goes through with this war I think he's going to lose his credibility. Granted he pulled the people through 9/11, although I believe we saw more of Guiliani than him. Bush is just as trigger happy as his father if not more and I pray for the sake of everyone that he makes certain there won't be a missile pointed in his direction that has his name on it. Hey! We live next to you.

If Bush wants to go to war so be it. Just don't look for us Canadians up north to be backin you up this time.

There, i've said my piece.
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888
      0 Not allowed!

edude, for a start grow the **** up. do i have proof? personally no. progandna? i dont what what country you hail from but here in england some of our press still maintain a little credability as do some of the politicians. dont judge other countries by your own countries low standards.
    I've seen a few independant (thats totally reliable with credability) documentaries about some of the facilities in iraq after the last incursion and he certainly had the capability then to produce a lot of biological and chemical weapons, there were factories and labs dedicated to it, with proof they had been used for this. There was also strong evidence they had been developing nuclear weapons. I know a little about biology and chemistry, enough from working as a research scientist to know what the setup i saw could be used for.
    I may have picked my words for a humourous approach but my meaning was clear, sadam is insane, he believes his own crap and is dragging his country into hell to service his own ego. He has weapons that he has no right to possess. The americans and russians came very close to all our war, but they were responsible enough not to use all the power they had. Just because you can doesnt mean you should. Do you trust old Madas Hussain to do the same, or to throw his people to martyrdom and cause as much death as possible to his enemies.
    In summary yes i want to see the madman go down. preferably without any loss of his countrymen. They shouldnt be punished for his actions.
    --
    Rich
      0 Not allowed!

What country i am from? Iraq

Explain how Scott Ritter, previously 10 years weapon inspector in Iraq, is now saying that Iraq has no weapons of mass destruction...

Do you have to kill more people? innocent people, the reason september 11 happened, is because the U.S should not try and act like the worlds police, iraq has no capability or range for any of its skuds to reach the U.S, so butt out.
      0 Not allowed!

For a start, if someone does not agree with your opinions you insult them? just shows whats wrong with the west

Also show me some proof!

The media says it but no proof!

I thought its part of the law in the west, not guilty until proven guilty or something similar..

Who put iraq years behind? The U.S and U.K, saddam asked the U.S if he could take kuwait they said yes, dont you remember the U.S put saddam in power, you destroyed iraq and its people by putting him in power first to suit your own needs...

Because with saddam in power you get cheap oil from other arab countries, all that matters to your governments is oil.

edude, for a start grow the **** up. do i have proof? personally no. progandna? i dont what what country you hail from but here in england some of our press still maintain a little credability as do some of the politicians. dont judge other countries by your own countries low standards.
    I've seen a few independant (thats totally reliable with credability) documentaries about some of the facilities in iraq after the last incursion and he certainly had the capability then to produce a lot of biological and chemical weapons, there were factories and labs dedicated to it, with proof they had been used for this. There was also strong evidence they had been developing nuclear weapons. I know a little about biology and chemistry, enough from working as a research scientist to know what the setup i saw could be used for.
    I may have picked my words for a humourous approach but my meaning was clear, sadam is insane, he believes his own crap and is dragging his country into hell to service his own ego. He has weapons that he has no right to possess. The americans and russians came very close to all our war, but they were responsible enough not to use all the power they had. Just because you can doesnt mean you should. Do you trust old Madas Hussain to do the same, or to throw his people to martyrdom and cause as much death as possible to his enemies.
    In summary yes i want to see the madman go down. preferably without any loss of his countrymen. They shouldnt be punished for his actions.
      0 Not allowed!

No loss to his country men?

Explain how the coalition killed 100,000 plus iraqi soldiers retreating with no weapons?

They had families etc.. or is it that they are worthless?

0 Not allowed!

When has saddam used the power he has? when the U.S provoked him into a war with iran to benefit their own needs...

His missles do not have the range to harm your countries, why not just leave him alone before you cause more harm..

I think the west has done enough.

0 Not allowed!

Also i am disgusted at reading some posts in this forum, is all you think about business? yeh whocares if they die, as long as i dont lose my business, ignorant...

shows why so many people hate the west.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by edude
    Also i am disgusted at reading some posts in this forum, is all you think about business? yeh whocares if they die, as long as i dont lose my business, ignorant...

shows why so many people hate the west.
    I couldn't agree more with you.
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.
      0 Not allowed!

tsk... tsk... if it weren't for "the west" the world would be filled with communist.
      0 Not allowed!

1- so one weapons inspector against the rest and documented evidence?
    2- if he had none they why not let the inspectors back?
    3- why shoot at planes enforcing the no fly zone?
    4- why let him flagrantly violate the terms of his surrender?
    5- who needs missiles to use his nbc weapons? no missiles were used in the sept 11th attack, no missiles were used to post anthrax to targets.

now i as much as anyone despise war, i dont like seeing men die to sell politics, i really dispise the loss of innocent life, i ve lost too many good friends myself, wars pointless in comparrison. BUT i sure as hell will not sit back and let the madman carry on. He keeps his country in poverty, he keeps his people suffering to fullfil his ego. Lets be honest, theres every likelihood he has the weapons, if i was him and shooting my mouth off about how great the sept 11th attack was id have myself armed to the teeth. You dont poke a giant with a stick unless you have a nuke behind your back. Basically, he needs to be ousted, for our safety and for his peoples benefit. Thats a resource rich country, the people could live a lot better.
    I said i would like to see no loss of life, this is a pipe dream though. thats never going to happen, were going to kill enough of our own troops being smart arses with hi tech weapons for that not to happen. As for 100k retreating soldiers killed without weapons, thats certainly news to me, it may be true, it may be not. some evidence would be welcome. It would be very unlike the allies to commit something approaching genocide in blatant contravention of the geneva and hague conventions. Remeber we recognise and comply to those conventions, Iraq does not. What about the torture of our soldiers? Name rank and number, thats it. Nothing about electrocution, starvation, beatings and the rest of it. You dont want to get shot in the back, respect the rules of law or have the balls to stand your ground and be captured. A retreating soldier is a soldier going to fallback position to fire at you again. Not a surrendering soldier.
    --
    Rich
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast