Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Hostpacket Incompetence

Hi Guys

As you all probably know, Hostpacket.net has experienced "issues" in the last two - three days.

Earlier today I posted a thread on Hostpacket's forums re why I have left hostpacket and how people should judge a webhost (either potential or existing) - This post was deleted from their forums. (once again nicely sums up their attitude to customers)

I guess I’d like to make a few comments on here (where they cant sensor it)

1 - Initially hostpacket.net were very good - the first 1.5 months were excellent, with great uptime and fantastic server speeds.
    2 - I initially experienced issues in early August 2002 - Up until the DNS (and then the server being completely removed) I experienced approx 14 hours of downtime (well over the 99.9% "Guarantee" - The most recent downtime would add well over another 20 hours to that.
    3 - Kevin has lied on numerous times regarding previous downtime and the reasons for it.
    4 - Kevin has attempted to moderate or in some way limit people's ability to raise GENUINE concerns over Hostpacket's ability to deliver what's been promised and has proven unable to run a stable host.

These guys are unprofessional, uncooperative, uncaring and inattentive.

This one's best avoided.

Matt
      0 Not allowed!

This is going to sound like a bit of second-guessing, especially from someone who isn't a Hostpacket customer but the following comes from a whois lookup on the domain Hostpacket.net.

Registrant:
    HostPacket LLC
    106 Continental Blvd
    Toronto, ON M5B 2P4
    CA
    +1 (650) 745-2496
    Fax:+1 (650) 745-2496

Domain Name: HOSTPACKET.NET

Administrative Contact:
    Fong, Kevin ceo@hostpacket.net
    106 Continental Blvd
    Toronto, ON M5B 2P4
    CA
    +1 (650) 745-2496

Technical Contact:
    Fong, Kevin ceo@hostpacket.net
    106 Continental Blvd
    Toronto, ON M5B 2P4
    CA
    +1 (650) 745-2496

For those not from the Toronto area, the Toronto area codes are 416 and the newer ones for the west end of the city, 289 and 647. Neighbouring area codes can be either 905 or 619. 650 is not a Toronto area code.

The postal code provided, while it is a legitimate postal code, is for the downtown Toronto area (an area full of some rather interesting homeless people, might I add), and Continental Blvd. isn't a street on it. (There's a small side street called Continental Place toward the east end of the city but nothing called Continental Blvd.)

Again, I provide this merely to collaborate Matt's opinion that this gentleman is quite capable of providing false information to customers (he did it in his WHOIS) and should be avoided.
    Is Canada the best? Noo Doot Aboot It!
    "And on the eighth...day...God...created...Mankind. WHY WAS HE HAVING SUCH A BAD DAY?" -- Mick Foley
      0 Not allowed!

650 is an area code for San fransisco and surrounding areas, for those who don't know...
    Cube X Hosting
    www.CXHosting.com
    AIM: CubeXH, Yahoo: CubeXH
      0 Not allowed!

rofl so his phone is in SF yet he lives in Toronto? hows that work...this sounds alot like CW
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com
      0 Not allowed!

SF is 415... 650 is south a bit... but anyway that is sort of odd. Though, with all of the tech companies located around the 650 area code, it wouldn't surprise me if HostPacket just used a call center or fax service etc that was located in the 650 area code
    Jeremy » jeremy@frontdrive.com
    Front Drive » Advanced multi-domain hosting solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/
      0 Not allowed!

What suprises me the most is the fact that HP hasn't contacted any of their clients about what is going on? Or posted on this thread since a majority of their customers seem to be on WHT.

Any HP clients did you recieve any contact from a representative of HP? Or is everyone still kept in the dark as all these threads are saying?

If so my sympathy is with you and good luck in getting everything straightened out.
    Sam C
    Blue Dog Hosting
    http://www.bluedoghosting.com
    "Your new best friend!"
      0 Not allowed!

For more details that 650 phone number, is a cellphone in the San Mateo county. (SF bay area)
      0 Not allowed!

They contacted me early this morning through email. It was a reply to a email I sent them so I don't know if they would have contacted me otherwise. However, I was contacted.

As far as the contact info, that doesn't really mean to much to me. A lot of people put false info in there, including myself. I think the whole WHOIS is ridiculous. Why should people be able to find out where you live, and your phone #? The only thing I got from it was spam and a million and one advertisements and offers sent to my house (until I changed the info).
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Big-Mike
    They contacted me early this morning through email. It was a reply to a email I sent them so I don't know if they would have contacted me otherwise. However, I was contacted.

As far as the contact info, that doesn't really mean to much to me. A lot of people put false info in there, including myself. I think the whole WHOIS is ridiculous. Why should people be able to find out where you live, and your phone #? The only thing I got from it was spam and a million and one advertisements and offers sent to my house (until I changed the info).
    Mike,

I think you may wanna know who you are doing business with, and who are you giving your credit card #. Will you feel comfortable giving CC# to anyone on street ? Will you mike ? Just my opinion.
      0 Not allowed!

650 phone number

The 650 phone number it's not just in the WHOIS. It's also listed as the number for customer support here: http://www.hostpacket.net/contactus.php
      0 Not allowed!

This is my favourite when I look up - About US - The Team :

The Chief Execution Officer and founder of HostPacket.net

Kevin Fong

heh , EXECUTION <<-- bring on the chickens .
      0 Not allowed!

Maybe his Babel Fish died

Originally posted by fantasmic0

This is my favourite when I look up - About US - The Team :

The Chief Execution Officer and founder of HostPacket.net

Kevin Fong

heh , EXECUTION <<-- bring on the chickens .
    Sam C
    Blue Dog Hosting
    "Your new best friend!"
      0 Not allowed!

Since when did Rackshack started doing co-location

From their website

"Server Co-Location

Our servers are co-located in a state-of-the-art carrier-class data center in Houston, Texas. "
      0 Not allowed!

I personally used HostPacket as a host from June 10, 2002 until July 3, 2002. Kevin seemed like a nice person and I helped him with a few problems he had. Installing Mod_Gzip, some DNS problems (help him edit Zone Files), and IMAP setup on cPanel, thing like these.

Kevin was always trying to fulfill every request that a client made; setting up IMAP was on of them. While it is admiring that a host would want to carry out every request by a client, it may not always be wise. Since IMAP is not supported by cPanel I advised him not to try, if someone needs IMAP that bad they will have to go somewhere else. I explained that a cPanel server is configured a certain way for a reason and it not a good idea to just go adding unsupported software unless you really know what you are doing.

Well Kevin installed IMAP on the server and all POP3 mail stopped working, he wanted help. I again explained that he should not try to please one potential client or client at the detriment to his other clients. I do believe that it was Kevin’s feelings that he must satisfy everyone that may have been his downfall. I can just picture Kevin telling some not to SPAM again.

Hostpacket: - Please do not send unsolicited email.
    Client: - OK we won’t.

I feel sorry for anyone that lost data, it happened to me a few years ago. It is a hard lesson for sure, but Backup your data every time you make a change. Keep your site on you HD at home and make any changes on it too.

I left Hostpacket because of a billing problem that even today I am not too sure of.
    Sitekeeper
    Google
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by eHostPros

Mike,

I think you may wanna know who you are doing business with, and who are you giving your credit card #. Will you feel comfortable giving CC# to anyone on street ? Will you mike ? Just my opinion.
    Giving your CC# to someone on the street and online is two totally different situations but either way people have been ripped off in both cases.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Big-Mike

I do agree with this to a certain extent: publishing a home address and telephone number would likely be where I draw the line. However, publishing a business address isn't all that bad since it doesn't tie anyone personally to the company. Yes it leads to spam possibly, but what doesn't nowadays?

Having said that, if one does decide to publish false WHOIS and contact information, one should not include a phone number with an area code whose area drastically differs from that of the address. At least if the registrant put in a 416 area code, that would make the info believable.

The following is an excerpt from directNIC's terms of service:

4. Registration Data. As part of the registration process, you are required to provide us with certain information and to update this information to keep it current, complete and accurate. This information includes:

Your full name, postal address, e-mail address, voice telephone number, and fax number if available;
    The name of an authorized person for contact purposes in the case of a registrant that is an organization, association, or corporation;

As of this moment, the information is not accurate, which means right now Hostpacket is violating directNIC's TOS.

And an extension of an earlier post (taken from the "Data Center page"):

Our network are connected with redundant DS-3 lines, the network graph is shown below

All your network are belong to hostpacket. Set up them the server. You have no chance to survive make your downtime.
    Is Canada the best? Noo Doot Aboot It!
    "And on the eighth...day...God...created...Mankind. WHY WAS HE HAVING SUCH A BAD DAY?" -- Mick Foley
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by TheGAME1264

As of this moment, the information is not accurate
    Not to play Devil's Advocate or anything, but do you have any proof to back up that statement?
    Jeremy » jeremy@frontdrive.com
    Front Drive » Advanced multi-domain hosting solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by TheGAME1264

All your network are belong to hostpacket. Set up them the server. You have no chance to survive make your downtime.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by eyow
    Maybe his Babel Fish died
    That is one of the most ignorant replies posted here at WHT.
    Feeling a little bit superior are we eyow?

To Kevin Fong, don't let the 'Fat Bastards' of the world get you down.
    ShagHost
    Yeah baby, we do hosting!
    http://www.shaghost.com
    24 hour support except on Saturday evenings when we party hardy
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ShagHost

What's wrong with that?

Isn't a bable fish from the book Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy?
    Cory Cone
    www.XstreamHost.com
      0 Not allowed!

So you complain his thread was ignorant, and then post "To Kevin Fong, don't let the 'Fat Bastards' of the world get you down."

What is that supose to mean ?
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine
      0 Not allowed!

I would like to give Hostpacket the benefit of the doubt, and until I read this thread and did
    a little home work I can no longer be patient with Hostpacket and Kevin Fong.

It is very serious to be giving credit card numbers to a company that has lied about everything!
    Kevin Fong claims to live in Canada. When I signed with his service I had did a trace and
    found his servers located in Texas at Rackshack. I asked Kevin where he was located, he
    said Canada. With the evidence listed in the earlier posts in this thread, I also submit the following:

Kevin Fong is in Hong Kong!
    do a search on this forum for dk2002 that is kevin’s aka for this forum
    look at post, kevin’s Hong Kong email address:
    “click for Kevin’s email addr” “netvigator.com” is located in Hong Kong.

In addition check out the time on Hostpacket’s forum. You will notice the time is not US time nor
    is it Canadian time. The time difference is
    7 hours advance. Either somewhere in Russia or Fiji. Actually I think it’s a mistake they overlooked.
    Someone posted a question about the time in Hostpackets forum and that post was gone
    within an hour.

Personally I am calling my credit card company tomorrow and requesting a new credit card
    number. I don’t like the idea that my credit card number is floating around Asia with
    someone who has lied about his address and phone numbers. I have tried to call the phone
    numbers and only get a recording. Is anyone surprised.

Kevin if I’m wrong about you being located in Asia and not Canada. Start up your chat support
    and I will join you in chat and provide me with your Canadian telephone number and I will
    give you a call. I would be very happy to post a retraction, say I was wrong.

The potential for credit card fraud is real.
      0 Not allowed!

I am lost as well How is it ignorant someone pointed out an error and the Babel Fish is a reference to Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy which is used to help one translate different languages. No feeling of superiority don't know where "superiority" came into play but different people think different things.

I do not see the ignorance in the post, and frankly neither do some of the other people.
    Sam C
    Blue Dog Hosting
    "Your new best friend!"
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for that...that's the funniest thing I've seen all day!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by yocalif

Personally I am calling my credit card company tomorrow and requesting a new credit card
    number. I don’t like the idea that my credit card number is floating around Asia with
    someone who has lied about his address and phone numbers. I have tried to call the phone
    numbers and only get a recording. Is anyone surprised.

The potential for credit card fraud is real.
    CC fraud in some countries inc. those in Asia is very real in even normal transactions - let alone this where you can't see where or to whom you've given the details .... We all run this risk from time to time .
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast