Thread: eMachines?

eMachines?

Yeah, I know not exactly top of the line. But anyone have any comments about them? (Someone in my family is thinking about getting one, doesn't need anything real fancy and doesn't want to pay for a high end one either.)

There model toy cars are they not?. I got one with my cornflakes so what a price of cornflakes for it which isn't much.
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

ugh...... don't buy one.

I had a local business contact me, some 299 emachine was "Having problems", I said contact the vendor.

They insisted, and would be willing to pay our on-site service fee so I went.

It was a nightmare, e-machines was no help, and after just about pleading with this guy to have me build him a custom box, he said, take it back to your office, Ill pay the onsite, and the neccesary upgrades, whatever is need to "Get the machine" back in order.

So, fine, this is what I did.

After delivering his computer, I mentioned to him that the bill was over 250 and he said fine.

6 months later, he called and asked, do you mind taking a look at a computer at his office.

So off I went... suprised that this wasn't an e-machine, it was a lesser known case, mid tower, and obviously custom.

I asked, "Hey you got rid of the "computer", he said yes, I had a computer store that is located behind my office build me one.

So I ask, how much did you pay?, he says "500, but there is a problem", hrmmm I think to myself, here we go.

He asks me to check it out, see if it was worth the 500.

It only took me 10 minutes to evaluate the system, and then I had my report.

I told him, "Well besides the match book cover holding up the motherboard, and that you are missing half the ram that is listed on your invoice, it's fine", he said but something is wrong with it", I said, sorry? I didn't build it, take it back to the computer store.

He said, do you mind? I said, I will return it, if you let me build you a computer that I would trust to service later.

I haven't heard from him in over a year now...

lol, e-machines suck.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

I bought three for a client and all worked without any issues. They use standard hardware so fixing things isn't an issue.

They are cheaply made, but for the money you can't beat them.

Take "hines" off and you'll have a wonderful computer.
    Colin

Originally posted by pgrote
    They use standard hardware so fixing things isn't an issue.
    No they don't... at least none of the ones I have worked on do. They Use Delphi III motherboards, and they aren't the same layout for the connectors as a standard motherboard from a Known company. Power supplies needed to be ordered direct from manufacturer as no one made the small sized one for commercial availability... now there is.
    And if you have ever tried to get a replacement mb...good luck! I have been waiting 8 months for 2 mbs and a power supply. We just built the customer some new boxs and waiting for parts to resell the e-crap.

I bought three in the last 6 months. The hard drives and power supplies were off the shelf. While I don't know the exact model of the motherboards I do know their footprint is standard. You could easily replace them if needed.

You don't have to buy the parts from emachines.

It's nice to see they finally went standard then... most of the ones I work on for some companies....yes companies actually bought these.... are of the Celeron 300-600mhz variety and they were all non standard. Maybe they deserve another chance with me then... I hated them due to the non existence of replacement parts before. Thanks for letting me know.

Yep Chaos, exactly... companies bought them, and they were definitely not standard, but the last 6 months, or even year they apparently have changed... not that I would DARE to buy one hahahaha, crap is crap, and e-machines are crap, so are compaqs, but that's another thread.
    dotGig

They must have learned after all the horrible press they were getting......Hey Samuel, is Suckasshost offering reseller accounts yet? I have a few clients I would like to send there, I think they would learn something

=) Chaos lol

Yes, but you're going to have to ask in the advertising forums as Suck Ass Host (Private Label Unlimited Bandwidth Reseller) plans (LLC) cannot advertise in these forums ([url=www.suckasshost.com/?affiliate.php=$$$$samuel!!!Click Here)
    dotGig

Thanks for the feedback.