* Ensim installation help needed on an FDC server

As you may or may not have read I have a server with FDC servers. I also own 3 Ensim licenses. This provider offers Ensim and does installs (only if you purchase it through them) but i don't really need a whole new type of monthly license deal. I have gone to them over and over and they do provide exceptional support but right when i am almost at a resolution they seem to give up. I recently had them wipe my server and partition it for Ensim. They stated they set it up with all services and requirements needed for a successful install the same as they would for any other client who was to have it installed for them. Well I attempted the install doing it all to the letter and received notices of missing files, etc. After this i asked them what the problem was and they maintained that they did everything they'd do for any other ensim install. Thinking it was probably my fault, i contacted Ensim support. I had them attempt an install of their webappliance and they recieved the same results i did, mentioned in this e-mail:

> Per Ensim Support:
    > I have analyzed your system ..
    >
    > The RedHat on your system is not Install as per requirements.
    >
    > I removed some conflicting packages but there are many conflicting
    packages
    > installed and many packages required by webppliance that are not present
    due
    > to which webppliance fails to install.
    >
    > As a summary ..
    >
    > Packages Required by Webppliance (Using Custom Install)
    >
    > @ Network Support
    > @ Messaging and Web Tools
    > @ DNS Name Server
    > @ Network Managed Workstation
    > @ Software Development
    >
    > These are the ONLY components that should be selected while installation.
    >
    > Packages Installed on you system ..
    >
    > @ Printing Support
    > @ Sound and Multimedia Support
    > @ Network Support
    > @ Dialup Support
    > @ Messaging and Web Tools
    > @ Anonymous FTP Server
    > @ SQL Database Server
    > @ Web Server
    > @ Server
    >
    > Please refer the Installation Guide at
    >
    > http://www.ensim.com/support/wpls/index.html
    >
    > For further details.
    > I have uploaded a new Installer and Document Files in /root/webppliance
    >
    > I have also uploaded the ucd-snmp packages required by webppliance 3.1.0
    in
    > /root/webppliance
    >
    > webppliance explicitly requires ucd-snmp ver "4.2.3-1.7.2.3"
    >
    > Please backup them to some other machine before performing a fresh
    install.
    >
    > The total memory reported on this system looks suspicious as it does not
    > match any known standard memory configurations.
    >
    > Memory: 494188k/507824k available (from dmesg)
    >
    > Please consult your hardware provider as there could be a problem with you
    > system memory modules.

so looking at this, Ensim support claims FDC servers forgot to enable/install the following in Redhat configuration:
    > @ DNS Name Server
    > @ Network Managed Workstation
    > @ Software Development

being pretty new to Linux i have no clue what the hell to do to get this working!

Now with all this i am ready to just drop the whole thing and fold, and go back to rackshack where they give you a pre-installed, ready to use ensim at a one time fee in the license but i am giving this dedicated server thing one more shot. Is there anyone here who knows what they are doing (saburovo included) who would like to $$install ensim$$ on my server and get it working so i can finally quit bitching about my experiences?
    Last edited by LMS MIS; 09-03-2002 at 05:01 PM.

If you read the Ensim installation manual, you'll find there's a list on there with RPM's you MUST install or update before proceeding with the installation. It shouldn't be up to FDCservers to install those packages as your server is unmanaged. Install all these RPM's (and there's plenty of them) and you should get Ensim to install...

Can't explain the memory thing, that could be hardware related, meaning that's something FDC does have to look at.
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

yes i know of the update RPMs and they are all installed but this issue is not really related

Ensim states that some services (not included in the updates), just part of the standard install are not there!

Ah, ok, I misread, my bad. In that case it looks like you're gonna be requesting an OS restore...

FDC got it right when I installed Ensim on my box there 5 months ago (though I now have CPanel on there), but then it seems they have added a lot of new staff since then.
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

i've already requested an OS restore and they did one but how am i supposed to make sure they do it with the services needed selected when they say they do but Ensim support says differently?

The memory thing is probably related to a nice desktop motherboard that uses RAM for video needs.

George
    George Vuckovic - CEO & President, Tilted Planet, Ltd.
    Dedicated Servers, Dedicated Service, Definitely Tilted.
    Celebrating 16 years of top-notch hosting and innovation!
    Visit our 13 year old, obviously ancient site at TILTED.COM