hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Bluehost: limits?

Forum Jump

Bluehost: limits?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Bluehost: limits?

Bluehost apparently offers unlimited bandwidth and disk space (so they say). This seems suspicious. Are there any limitations I should be aware of?

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Hogging the CPU will surely get any shared host's attention, since you have to play nicely with others on the server.

The closer your content is to being static the more you can use up. Sloppy coding & DB usage will cut it down.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

I am planning to use a CMS (Joomla) and a web forum.

If the site eventually becomes popular, will it still be fine on Bluehost?

Sponsored Links
Old

The limits on 'unlimited' is actually that they are most likely overselling the service. No server can handle truly unlimited space or bandwidth and therefore the hope is that most clients won't use all they are allocated. If their business model includes drastic overselling, then you will see a performance hit to the server as they add more clients to it and therefore your sites will not be serving very fast.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Depends on how popular but more likely then not if it gets popular enough bluehost will no longer work for you. Although thats probably the case with any site on a shared account.

My site is Otaku Play Ground and you are welcome to join if you like.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

I just read their TOS. I can't have any foul language on sites hosted by Bluehost?!

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno McDohl View Post
I am planning to use a CMS (Joomla) and a web forum.

If the site eventually becomes popular, will it still be fine on Bluehost?
I doubt there are any hosts that don't have plenty of Joomla, Wordpress, phpBB, etc... customers that are fine.

If you're at the "if the site ever gets popular" stage, you'll be fine at any host, then just see how it goes from there as the site grows.

Whether it's an oversold host or not, most people hardly use any of what they pay for and their sites never get the traffic they think they will.

And if a site does start outgrowing its environment (because of traffic - not sloppy coding), it shouldn't have any trouble paying for itself.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
I just read their TOS. I can't have any foul language on sites hosted by Bluehost?!
Are you planning on having a lot of foul language? You might wanna try somewhere else more liberal.

Also, if you think your site is going to get really popular really fast, you may even want to look elsewhere and avoid unlimited plans.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

I don't plan on it, but if I offer a forum people may swear.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
I don't plan on it, but if I offer a forum people may swear.
Make sure you add it as a rule on your forum and give out warnings if they swear.
Thats what I do.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

I'd rather not do that though. If someone has had a bad day, I don't want to tell them not to swear.

I'd like to offer a forum where we're all mature people and we can handle swearing.

Old
Web Hosting Master

well some forum scripts like IPB have swear filters so if some one were to swear it just shows up as ***.
I think I can understand where you are coming from though. My forums for all ages and I have a few 9 year olds on there along with the parents of some of those and I have to have the rule but adults are allowed to swear in the adult forum only so a swear filter for me does not work.

Although maybe blue host is not right for you if swearing is going to be done and they do not allow it.

Any way hope I was able to help.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
haha... I figured you just misread a "no hate speech" rule, but sure enough:

Quote:
Foul language and profanity in the site content, and in the domain name are prohibited.

Other than a host trying to cash in on the religion crowd, I can't really see why they'd censor content to that extreme... and it wouldn't surprise me if 90% of their customers never read it and are in violation.

You might want to email them directly and ask them to specifically define what's acceptable and how it's enforced.

As it's written, a forum, blog comments, or anything else that allows user input would require very strict moderation.

Having said all that, Bluehost is huge and they have a ton of customers... and I've never heard of a single case where someone got in trouble over a bad word. If I were them, I'd probably remove that line from the TOS, or be more specific and clearly draw out the lines that can't be crossed--if it's a loosely enforced rule.

Old
Web Host Extraordinaire!!!

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php

Search for BlueHost CPU or HostMonster CPU (hostmonster=bluehost=hostmonster)

Some threads you can find with the search tool:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=707023
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=708867
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=708971

You could still be fine using them, I'm not bashing them, but you really should run your own searches and conduct your own background research.

http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

I don't think any host can offer unlimited bandwidth and disk space. That would mean I think someone can basically take over an entire server and still be okay. That doesn't sound right to me... Do some research.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - October 10, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-10-10 14:19:57
Yet Another BlueHost and HostGator Outage Web Hosting News 2014-05-19 13:46:28
More Downtime for HostGator and BlueHost Customers as Router Issues Plague Utah Data Center Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:33:57
CloudLinux Releases New Inode Limits Feature for cPanel Web Hosting News 2013-08-28 16:38:27
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup – June 21, 2013 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:43:02