Cheapest Place To Register .JP domains?

I'm in the market for registering a .jo or co.jp domain because me and my friends want to start up a joke around race club that has a .jp website. I think it will be a great plan.

ANyone know the cheapest place to register the .jp or .co.jp domain names?

Thanks!

You can't get a co.jp name unless you have a company in Japan. The cheapest way around this is to have a company in the US and do a branch office in Japan. You're also only allowed 1 per company.

These restrictions do not apply to "jp" addresses.

For .jp addresses, the cheapest I've seen in English is about $125 (US Dollars). The cheapest I've seen in Japanese is 4500 yen (about $40) but that was part of a hosting contract, and there's nothing cheap about hosting in Japan.

On this note, though, I noticed today that every search I could think of on www.msn.co.jp would give me ONLY results that ended in .jp ... which is disconcerting, seeing as a ton of Japanese use that as their first search option.

I haven't found the 4,500 .jp registration yet, so I can't verify that it's real.

The cheapest I've found so far is this:

. jp registration, one year: 7,950 yen, two years: 13,980 yen.
    Updating for 1 year: 6,880 yen; updating for 2 years: 12,880 yen. (This doesn't include tax, which is about 5% I think.)

"Updating" means extending or renewing it. 7,950 yen is $66.38 in US dollars at today's exchange rate (see www.xe.com for exchange rates). This is cheaper than the $100 per year I saw at register.com and the $140 per year at another registry.

.co.jp registration is more expensive: 19,048 yen for 1 year. The renewal though is just 6,667 yen.

I found that here:
    www.onamae.com/kakaku/
    It's a Japanese-language page. "onamae" means "name".

try at jprs.jp/eng/jpdomain.html

Originally posted by OldOne
    try at www.jprs.jp/eng/jpdomain.html
    That's fine for information about "jp" and "__.jp", but I couldn't find anywhere on the site to actually register a domain. Did I just miss it?

I think you can only host .jp site in japan...not 100% sure thought

I recommend you to ask http://www.dotster.jp a price first. If you can understand Japanese, I recommend following two.

http://www.yukaido.ad.jp/DOMAIN-21/
    http://freeserver.jp/

Originally posted by apollo
    I think you can only host .jp site in japan...not 100% sure thought
    You can only host co.jp site in japan and you can host .jp site in the world.
    Last edited by Chicken; 09-14-2002 at 06:14 PM.
    nonstop

Thanks for the two links! Those seem like much better options.