completely lost among all the choices of hosting companies...! augh!

This is my first post, so please be kind...

I'm having a somewhat bad experience with my current host so I'm looking (have been looking) for a hosting company and am getting so swamped with all the information that I'm not sure what to choose. I know what I want in terms of a hosting package, but am overwhelmed with the choices.

I'm seeing that a couple of the one's I originally chose are now getting a bad rap. So I'm back to the drawing board. I liked the package that Aletia offered, but was scared away by all the downtime I've seen lately and the lack of customer support. So here's the recommendations I have had by others that have attractive packages to me:

The most important things to me in a package are server size (preferably 150-200mb), at least 2 or 3 mySQL databases, and uptime. Uptime is incredibly important to me (duh!).

Any help would be of utmost importance to me. I appreciate your input.

Illinois, USA
    let me be the first to welcome you to the forums!

check out the lounge and have a with us when you get a chance

you're right, there are hundreds of hosts to choose from out there, but you've got a couple reputable ones in that list of yours ...

my top pick would have to be venturesonline, downtime has been relatively non existant there and support is unbeleiveable

best part is, they are one of the few hosts that have direct control of their servers (they own and operate their own datacenter)

I'm new as well, and I am in need of almost the same thing.

Welcome to WHT!!

From my personal experience, I would stay away from Hostrocket. I still have two accounts with them that I look forward to the expiration date. Popular sites do not do well with them, and the refund policy sucks, and I have had a "less than good" reaction from their Tech Supprt.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

New Jersey, U.S.A.

Out of that list, you probably won't go wrong with either of those choices. All of those hosts have upstanding reputations here and would be good choices. A quick browse through their user forums would be helpful and a few emails to their sales/support depts. would be even better
    webhosting solutions for e-Business

Thank you for responding so quickly and for being so kind as to give your opinion (and a nice welcome). It is rare to find that in some forums.

It is good to hear that most of those have good reputations and have built a name for themselves. I'll look into them further as I narrow down my search. More opinions and thoughts on these are still welcome!

I've just found this... any good ?

That looks somewhat similar to I'll check it out. Thanks.

I got to it through one of your links...

I need a hosting company as well - but it's so difficult to compare them all. If only someone could say one name...

*revises what he has just said and feels foolish for how much it sounded like the beginning of an advertisement*

Philadelphia, PA
    Venturesonline & HostRocket, are both good choices. I have used both, and have never had any complaints.
    Linux junkie |

I would personally go with Host Rocket. I have not had direct experience with them myself, however I do have a few friends who are hosted with them that have never had any bad experiences.

You made a good selection

For my experience I can only recommend, they are the only ones that I used from your list, but all them seems like a highly reputable companies.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Thanks (even though I'm not the thread starter...)