hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : fsck.ext3: bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdd1/dev/hdd1

Forum Jump

fsck.ext3: bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdd1/dev/hdd1

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Web Hosting Master

fsck.ext3: bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdd1/dev/hdd1

Hi guys,

cPanel locked up during mounting/formatting a secondary hard-drive as /backup.

The server was rebooted and now the bootup screen is displaying this error:

Quote:
fsck.ext3: bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdd1 /dev/hdd1. superblock could not read or does not describe a correct ext 2 filesystem
I will have to fix this tomorrow morning, any ideas? I am thinking that the /etc/fstab has the /dev/hdd1 included in it and that's why its failing...

How would you guys fix this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Problem Solver

You'll need to go into single user mode and either repair the file system or remove it from the fstab.

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
You'll need to go into single user mode and either repair the file system or remove it from the fstab.
At the bootup screen, is it linux recovery or "linux single" to boot into single user mode? Do I need the CD for CentOS in order to boot?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Junior Guru

"linux single" will probably do it - then correct the entry in /etc/fstab.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:56 AM

That doesn't sound like an error about the device being mounted more like a corrupt superblock. If there is no valuable data on this partition you may want to reformat the drive. If there is you'll have to use mk2fs -S to write a new superblock. I've had this happen to me once I was able to recover the data, but the filenames were lost.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:32 PM

linklike_2:
I agree. Sounds like either a corrupted device/superblock, or else it isn't actually ext2. I have seen this error when the filesystem is a different type.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Web Hosting Master

How do you boot into single user?

At grub bootscreen I clicked "a" to append "single" then press enter. It booted up, but I got the same error.

Control + D or enter root password to begin repair.

I enter root password, try to edit /etc/fstab "READ ONLY FILESYSTEM"

Did not work, so I unmounted and remounted the filesystem and it let me edit it.

However, I want to know how to enter single user in the future, any ideas? Lets say I lost the root PW.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:31 AM

You need to append single to the line that begins with kernel. I suggest putting it at the end. I think in single user mode the file systems default to being mounted read only. You can try remounting them read write.

mount -o rw,remount -a

No guarantees that you'll be able to remount the file systems. Also if you have physical access to the box I'd check out a linux recovery cd like RIP linux, or knoppix. You can then mount the root filesystem and chroot into the file system and change the password that way.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
GoDaddy to Deliver Spree Commerce-Based Platform for Online Stores Web Hosting News 2014-02-26 11:50:56
Web & PHP Conference 2013 Web Hosting Events 2013-09-17 14:48:22
Go Daddy Super Bowl Ad to Include Supermodel Bar Refaeli Web Hosting News 2013-01-17 07:04:34
Liquid Web Updates Block Storage, Adding Scale, Cross Mounting Web Hosting News 2012-12-14 16:17:44
OpenStack Adds Networking, Block Storage to Sixth Release Folsom Web Hosting News 2012-09-28 10:55:29