Great labor day start...

Oh joy, I just had a really great start to my labor day. My fiance called me and told me to hurry over to her house cause something was the matter, so i got in my car and left for her house. Well i was driving down major road by my house and there was a hill, near the bottom of the hill i guess i picked up speed and i got pulled over. When i saw his lights go on , i did a quick stop at the stop sign and turn right and stopped. He gave me a ticket for 41 in a 30 and "disregarding a stop sign". I put my hands on the wheel, and didnt talk much and did everything right. He asked where i worked i told him my company Dash Interactive and the ass didn't even spell it right. "Dash enteractiv". I didn't even run the stop sign. But anyways, that sucked. Thats like $210. uhg.

cliff notes: fiance wanted me to hurry to house. i got a speeding ticket for 41/30 and "disregarding a stop sign".

lol thats the right thing to do..

your fiance is first, forget about the law.

always

Give her the bill
    For a great new forum please click on my weblink.
    ALLWAYS LOOKING FOR MEMBERS
    VISIT ME AT
    http://www.jmdsforum.com

rofl see you should have just kept going....
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Next time, figure out what companies would be really buddy-buddy with the police department, and tell him you work for that one. =)

Besides, what was so urgent at home?

George
    George Vuckovic - CEO & President, Tilted Planet, Ltd.
    Dedicated Servers, Dedicated Service, Definitely Tilted.
    Celebrating 16 years of top-notch hosting and innovation!
    Visit our 13 year old, obviously ancient site at TILTED.COM

Oh that`s nothing! Guess what just happended to me. I`m taking this to court as this is the most disgusting thing that has ever happended to me.

There was a 55 mph speed zone and i was driving 60 mph. I`m driving in the right lane and this one cop is driving in the left lane (there`s nobody else on the road for miles).

All of a sudden this cop pulls behind me and starts tail-gating me (i mean he was driving right up my ass 3 feet behind me!!!). So i`m like "what the hell is wrong with this ******* cop?"...and why is he tail-gating me. Why?
    So i switch lanes to get away from him because he was seriously tail-gating me. BUT he also switches lanes to continue following me and continues tail-gating me!! No matter what i did he continued to tail-gate me.

Then out of the blue he pulls me over and asks me why i kept changing lanes....i told him he knew exactly why....he was tail-gating me! He proceeds to write me a $130 ticket for "reckless driving".

This cop i believe he had a serious mental condition or he was on drugs because he was not all there in the head...he will not get away with this. I`m soooo angry i could literally kill someone right now.

Stupid people, stupid a**holes!

Cops can be real jerks sometimes. Around here they don't use turn signals, and run stop signs.

I had similar stuff like that happen to me. It really pisses me off that they can do stuff like that and get away with it.
    Most of the time they are having a fight with the girlfriend or wife and get in their patrol cars & take it out on the guy driving down the road. That really stinks!
    And the worst part about it is that you will be paying not only the fine BUT increased rates on your insurance for about three years because of the points on your license. That can usually amount to a significant amount of money.

Wow, yeah this was just disgusting...nothing else i can say about it.

I`ve never been this mad before over anything in my entire life.

It amazes me that cops can get away with $#@! like this. Just un-beleivable. I hate cops more than anything on this planet.

I don`t understand why...when there was nobody else on the road for miles...why he proceeded to swerve behind me over and over again and tail-gate me constantly. I swear, no matter what i did he was driving bumper to bumper right in my ass.

And this was happening on a TWO lane wide open road where he could have simply passed me!

Yuck

Did he have any lights on or was he signaling you to pull over?

No, not at all.

He was tail-gating me for well over 5 minutes. I switched lanes 3 times because he was literally driving bumper to bumper in my a**. Each time i switched lanes he would as well and then would continue tail-gating me.

The 3rd time i switched lanes is when he immediately put his lights on and pulled me over. I asked him "why on earth are you tail-gating me on a two-lane road, what exactly is the problem???". He then tells me as a cop he has the right to do so and can drive behind whomever he chooses!

He then wrote me a $130 ticket for swicthing lanes "reckless driving?!?!?" (this took him 40 minutes to do) while i sat and waited. Never seen anything like this and he was rude as hell.

Personally, I would have pulled over if a cop were following me like that and asked what was the matter. But I suggest that you challange that idiot in court with harrassment.

Originally posted by Frosty
    I don`t understand why...when there was nobody else on the road for miles...why he proceeded to swerve behind me over and over again and tail-gate me constantly. I swear, no matter what i did he was driving bumper to bumper right in my ass.
    If a cop does something like that, other than the possible reason you suggest -- that he's insane or on drugs (not that likely for a patrol cop in most places; they get tested), it's generally because something about you, your car, or something you did raised his suspicions. But it might be nothing more than yours looks like a car he saw being driven recklessly yesterday or something. So he puts you under a little stress to see if you react... cops know what seeing them behind you does to you.

The way out in a similar situation: first, slow down to the speed limit or just below. And be prepared just to drive for awhile. Relax... if you're tense and crossing the lane markers or something you'll definitely be stopped. Or if you can't take it anymore, do what in the eyes of the law you should do in response to any tailgater: signal and pull to the shoulder. He either just drive by or stop for a chat. And when he asks why you stopped, just say because you were wondering what he wanted.

Be belligerant or have an attitude (like yelling that he was tailgating) and yep, you'll get a ticket.

Good luck, I hope you come out ok in court. The thing is, while what he did wasn't right it does sound like in the process of dealing with it you did break some traffic laws... unless every time you changed lanes you signalled first and made them smoothly and safely. So you'll need a pretty understanding judge -- and no sign of attitude while in court. Hopefully by the time that happens you won't be as mad as you are now, or will at least be able to hide it.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

A word of advice on fighting tickets... Don't do it yourself. Look in your yellow pages (or ask your lawyer for a referral) and find a traffic lawyer. They'll usually charge between $75-$250 (depending on caseload, venue, etc), but they usually get the respect of the court (reducing your time in the courtroom is good for the court!) and will probably get you simple probation/supervision. it's worth the money, especially when you compare how much you'll be paying in insurance over the next 5 years if you don't get off.

George

he was in training or something. no name tag and had like 3 officers with him

Originally posted by web docta
    But I suggest that you challange that idiot in court with harrassment.
    Well... even if it happened exactly as expressed, it's not harassment.

Anyway, tilted's advice to get a lawyer is exactly right. If you're going to be making any challenges to a cop's testimony in court, it's a good idea. Remember that any traffic cop has spent a lot more time in traffic court than you have... they're generally going to be pretty good at it, and most courts (most judges, that is) tend to feel that the defendant in a traffic case has less credibility going in than the cop does, because really any one traffic citation makes no difference to the cop at all. They can write as many as they want to.

Best bet in something like this actually might be to get a lawyer who'll go to the prosecutor and get it dismissed or reduced (if the charge was reckless driving, you'd really like that reduced) before the court date.

I did use my turn signal each time i switched lanes...except the 3rd time i switched lanes i only blinked it once (he claimed i didn`t blink it at all during that lane swicth). 100% BS. But that was his goal and what he was hoping for. He was hoping to find something or cause me to do something even slightly off and get me for it.

But i learned my lesson, cops are A**holes and if this ever happens again where i encounter a sick individual such as him i will simply pull off the road. Because i`m not putting up with a cop driving bumper to bumper 3 feet behind me in my a** tail-gating me and harrassing me for no reason whatsoever.

He can go harrass his mother.

If i`d done something even slightly wrong i wouldn`t be so ticked. Geez, i`ll shut up about it now, sorry this just got my panties all tied up in a bunch.
    A wait, i was just reading the ticket info here and it says that if i go to Traffic School for one day i won`t get any points (so it won`t increase insurance). Guess i should just do that, but then i can`t get revenge on this major jerk.
    Last edited by Frosty; 09-02-2002 at 07:52 PM.

Guess i should just do that, but then i can`t get revenge on this major jerk.
    You should definitely do that, if "revenge" would be your motive not to, because there's nothing you can do to get revenge on him.

People tend to think that if they plead innocent and "make" the cop show up in court they're inconveniencing him... nope, you're inconveniencing yourself. Especially if you have to take time off work or displace whatever else you'd rather be doing. The cop's being paid to be there. At least he's having an easier time than he would be having on the regular job, and there's a good chance he's getting overtime to be there. He'll hang out, talk to friends, stretch a whole day out of it.

There's that fun, TV-generated idea that you or your lawyer is going to embarass him or make a fool of him on the stand, but it's not too likely. If you spend much time in traffic court, you'll be surprised how often you'll hear a judge say something like "while these two accounts differ greatly, I'll lean towards accepting the trained police officer's judgement as to speed/time of turn signal/whether it was a full stop/name your violation."

And if you do win, on a traffic ticket? The cop doesn't care at all. And knowing that, in fact, is what builds in the idea to the judge that if someone is lying it's less likely to be the cop. In the end, he has no stake in the thing either way; you do.

Traffic cops, traffic prosecutors and traffic courts are like an adulterous menage a trois, a secret trio of lovers... They're in bed with each other, when they're not supposed to be. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Your defense lawyer is just a squeeze of astroglide to help you get out of there without bleeding too much.

The cop is there on his court day. All the tickets that he's handed out are scheduled to appear on the same day. This way he takes out a day from patrol duty and spends it in court, waiting to testify if someone demands trial. He's not going to "not show up" unless he's either ill or a *****. This isn't small claims court.

Just get a lawyer, he'll get you supervision, dismissal, something, but you won't get screwed as badly as you would be alone. He knows the way the system works, and let him lead you by the hand. The less input you give him, the better off you'll be.

George

I see thanks, guess i`ll just go to traffic school instead then for one day and have to pay $130 for the ticket plus $50 school fee :(

What a jerk, i have a cop tail-gating me yet somehow i end up with an a**hole in my face writing me a ticket :(
    He told me "you`re not allowed to change lanes that often"...well he shouldn`t have been tail-gating me. Jerk!

I see thanks, guess i`ll just go to traffic school instead then for one day and have to pay $130 for the ticket plus $50 school fee
    Pay $130 for the ticket plus $150 for the lawyer. You'll save time from the start, and a lot of money long-term.

And yeesh... why is m-or on a censored word?

George

Originally posted by tilted
    And yeesh... why is m-or on a censored word?
    moor?
    major?
    mayor?
    mentor?
    matador? I understand they take a lot of days off.

I can't figure out what word you were trying to use, but if it's really not an "objectionable" word it could be that it's censored because it happens to be the name of a banned company.

mooron without a dooble oo

!!!

Ah... well yeah it does seem odd to censor that! And not likely that it was a company name, right? Actually I know it wasn't banned until recently, because there was an incident just recently with a very new user who was tossing that term in the direction of a few users -- and it was visible then. So I'd guess it was censored when he was banned.