ffmpeg high-quality conversion

First of all, I don't really know where to post this, and if there's any ffmpeg specific forum out there, then do let me know

Basically, I want to do a "near-lossless" video conversion, if that is even possible, in keeping the proportion of the original video. Veoh seems a little bit better / at a higher quality than youtube, and I want to achieve higher quality than that. Literally speaking, I want the converted flv video's quality to be as close as the original video. What ffmpeg command exactly do I need to achieve this? I currently use ClipShare and is experimenting with Ostube for the php script. The default "high-quality" setting for both scripts are not that good of a quality either, with choppy images.

Anyone experienced on this field can give me an advice? Thank you!
    |ーWe are all born to this world To meet a certain person; it must be soー|

u have to edit clipshare script,and find where command line for ffmpeg there just copy the needed formare eg
    ffmpeg -i clip.3gp -f avi -vcodec xvid -acodec mp3 -ar 22050 file.avi

this command help for HQ conversion of 3gp to avi like that u can change the formate

I'm hoping for good video --> flv conversion though, not to avi or any other format.

Does bitrate will affect overall quality? Problem with flash video is, they're getting choppy, squary, pixelated when they're resized to full screen, if you know what I mean. Any way to "smooth" this up?

I'm talking about ffmpeg conversion in general, as all youtube-clone scripts uses this, it depends on the ffmpeg config really.

If you need high quality .flv video - don't use old H.263 flv codec (flash 7) - use VP6 (flash 8) or H.264 (flash 9) instead. They are almost same quality (vp6 less blocky, h264 more details)
    Also use two-pass encoding - one-pass loose quality or takes much more space for same quality compared to two-pass.
    Know all about your site performance:
    http://Site-Perf.com/