i have got a new server - what next..

Hi all

SO now I have decided to go in for a celeron server with Ensim with 60 Gb HDD from Rackshack...I have also decided to put in a person to MANAGE IT. So what next is the thing I have to do to put the domains and start my business..?

1. HOW TO SET NAMESERVERS ?
    2. DO I NEED TO REGISTER MY NAESERVERS WITH REGISTRARS ?
    3. WHAT ABOUT INTRUSION DETECTION ?
    4. WHAT ABOUT FIREWALL ?
    5. CAN SMTP BE SET TO SEND & RECV EMAILS ?
    6. HOW TO BACKUP DATA
    7. HOW TO SETUP MYSQL, PHP
    8.???

What else is requried..is there any check list..? Am I missing any important things in the above ?

Please help me..

Youve gor a RS server, that means hit their forums and make note of the following threads:

Brand New Box :: CHECKLIST!

Than head to the how to section to find these threads:

1. Name servers
    2. Yes, you do.
    3. here & here
    4. Bastille sets up PSAD
    5. Your email should be fine the way it is, all email/user config is done through Ensim
    6. Back up methods: 2 servers, rsync, or just use the lacking built in Ensim backup.
    7. Should be setup already, but I think php by default is in safemode. Just make sure PHP is not a version with a bunch of holes in it. Read the how to section some more for how to upgrade it without breaking Ensim.
    8. If you have more questions, I need a little more info that "???"

Good luck!

Our future web host people, right here.

wow, smells like someone jumped on the "get rich quick in webhosting" bandwagon... before bothering to check if it was full of turd no offense sivvaa, but it looks like a uh... moderatly/extremely poorly planned out business setup, i'd feel sorry for any of your initial guinea pig customers
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

i'd hire or find someone that will help you run this. If i had a dollar for everyone that tried to setup a a webserver and got rooted cause they didn't know what they were doing.. i'd be rich.

we got a $1.95/yr host on our hands

clocker: that sounds kinda pricey, does that include a domain name?
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

hahahahaa

Yes it does. TWO OF THEM

edit: its newbies like sivva or whatever that make me not want to come here

sigh, but i still do.

Re: i have got a new server - what next..

Originally posted by sivvaa
    What else is requried..is there any check list..? Am I missing any important things in the above ?

Please help me..
    If you have to ask, then PLEASE don't start a web hosting business. PLEASE, I'm begging you. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you don't already know the answers to those questions, then you shouldn't be starting a web hosting business. You don't have to know everything, but you have to learn how to find answers on your own. Asking will get you nowhere, but searching for the answer and experimenting will teach you more than you ever wanted to know.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Hehe, at least I spent over 6 months studying the inner workings of SSH and Linux before opening up my server to larger scale free hosting. Just set up a few accounts for people that were willing to take my learing abuse and I even didn't set those up until I'd been working with the server for a month or 2 - 3.

I still wouldn't feel confortable asking people for money for my services as I know I still have a lot to learn. To me, if you're gonna take people's money, you'd better have the skills to justify it. It just isn't as simple as "What shall I do today? Ow, I know, I'll rent a server, become a host and get rich..."
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

yeah tazz i agree.

What will day 2 of your business venture bring? Probably something like:

"WTF, why is this apache thing not working? Darn, I have 200 emails from angry customers asking me what's happening and they keep emailing me every hour to find out how much longer it will take to fix..."

The only sound way to survive in the payed hosting business (and I don't ever see myself joining this business and this is just my opinion) is setting up a sound business plan built on a solid foundation with the staff to back it up.

Just beeing the cheapest host won't cut it as sooner or later you'll just find out you weren't charging enough and suffering the consequences. I believe you can already see a trend of people preferring the slightly more expensive hosts that offer less transfer/diskspace but have far more inhouse knowledge. These are the hosts that will survive and not the $1.95 a year animals
    (RIP CW )
    Last edited by Tazzman; 09-02-2002 at 01:25 PM.

that celeron would explode under heavy usage, lol.

dude, before you could even think of wanting to host a server you need at least a t1 line, or a fractional t1. hech, start with sdsl. a celeron, lol. what a goofball post.

sivvaa you might wanna go with managed or semi-managed servers first. Once you're confident enough, then get unmanaged servers.
    spam --> /dev/null

i fell that linux is overated somewhat in the realm of small server hosting.

i mean, you can easily host your server with windows.

Originally posted by clocker1996
    we got a $1.95/yr host on our hands
    there starting to get pricey!

Windows server? No thanks.

Linux is the webserver O/S of choice for many, where 2K or NT doesn't cut it - Linux (in general) is more stable, quicker, has plenty of software available for it, and is opensource.

Coming straight to this thread from another one about your "server" that included a GeForce 4 gfx card - I'd be inclined to think you're more familiar with the home market.

Regards
    Matt
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

well..here is my reply

Well...as i wnent thru the response for my post, iam really worried abt going for a server..

But if I get it, is tehre some professional service provider who can offer me all these hectic taks done...for a charge.

Thus i will be having a fully managed server(by hiring a professional) and I will rest myself with setting domains in that.

I also wish to hear from guys who have started business like the way Iam planning to.

Thanks,

SIva

You can get a fully managed server from quite a few places, and I think that some external management companies exist too (***************.com ?).

I would advise that you spend time learning about your server in a professional webserver environment, familiarise yourself with the O/S, and research into the business side of web hosting too - afterall, and many people overlook this, web hosting IS a business.

Good luck,
    Matt
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

If you're serious about becoming a payed host, I'd say at least look for a partner or something down that road, because one person can't be available 24/7 for the customers. A good payed hosting provider and a one man operation are, IMHO, a contradictio in terminis.

Maybe find a partner that can handle the more technical issues (while you are learning) and you concentrate on the business side. Just a possible scenario.

P.S. What's wrong with the new celeron chips? They work quite nicely. Not quite as powerfull as a P3, but that can easily be solved by getting a slightly faster celeron chip (the celeron 1.2 or 1.3 GHZ chips have approximatly the same performence as a P3 1 GHZ, but are a good deal cheaper. Just back them up with enough ram and you have a very decent server, though I wouldn't go putting thousands of sites on there).
    Last edited by Tazzman; 09-03-2002 at 06:02 AM.

Originally posted by clocker1996
    hahahahaa

Yes it does. TWO OF THEM

edit: its newbies like sivva or whatever that make me not want to come here

sigh, but i still do.
    are you "mr hacker" or "mr great, i know it all when i was born"?

People learn by asking questions, making mistakes, taking time, reading books etc.

If you dont want to help people, fine stay the **** out of this thread, the TITLE on this thread was freakin clear.

Just run along and play with your barbie dolls

and dont forget to drink your milk before you go to bed.
    Western Man

Just to be on sivvaa's side... when I first came to WHT I asked a n00bi3 question and was leapt upon (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...?threadid=6010) - there's some good help though, it's just the initial paragraph of "guest" (think that is a banned user now).

What I am trying to say is that in the last 18 months, I went from a n00bi3 into someone who knows a lot more about linux hosting. I am NOT a professional/expert at it but I know enough to get by.

Do I charge for hosting now? No. I still don't feel confident enough to charge people even though I am hosting about 50 domains for people and push about 75GB bandwidth a month.

I had plans to start a webhosting business but in the end there are too many hassles with chargeback stories etc
    So now I am cancelling one of my 2 dedicated servers and just using the one.

James

is anyone else as confused by the below reply as i am? what would a t1 or frac. t1 or sdsl line have to do with a celeron? ah, then i just read this person thinking linux is overrated, i'm less confused now.

the celeron would perform quite well under moderate conditions. heavy usage, many heavily dynamic sites, of course not, but throw 150 or so small static - little dynamic content sites on there and you're doing quite alright.

and i'm not commenting on the fact that someone went out and got a server to start a webhosting company without any knowledge of the business. however, if this person WERE getting the box just to host their single sites, then, i don't think they'd deserve what they've gotten.

Originally posted by mooseboy84
    that celeron would explode under heavy usage, lol.

dude, before you could even think of wanting to host a server you need at least a t1 line, or a fractional t1. hech, start with sdsl. a celeron, lol. what a goofball post.

haha

calm down

don't get your panties in a bunch

Originally posted by MultiVol
    making mistakes, taking time, reading books etc.

doens't look like he's reading any books??
    Looks like he wants to get rich in 24 hours

if hes asking those questions up there, what makes u think he won't ask every single question there is to know about web hosting ?
    what makes you think he won't run here everytime someone sends in a support ticket

"help my customer sent in a support ticket i don't konw what to do!!!!!"

Oh, and i wouldn't try to make me look like i'm young considering you're not that old yourself..

Sivaa.you can check out Bobcares.com mean while you learn how to do it by yourself.
    Good Luck.