Is there are a way to setup a VPN Server on Windows 2003 SP2 running on Virtuozzo 4? I tried this before with a previous Virtuozzo version. Basically the RAS service doesn't start. I was told by my host that VPN is not available on VPS.
But on the sw-soft aka parralels site it is listed on the features list of virtuozzo 4! Yet my host still says it still doesn't work.
The host must enable it by hand from the command line (or at least we have had to for our customers). On windows you can only use the built-in MS VPN software. On linux you're able to get TUN enabled if they have it loaded in their host servers kernel.
BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
- All popular VPN methods supported
- Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
- 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony
We too can confirm that VPN inside Virtuozzo Containers 4.0 does work.
We have a few customers already using this feature.
The hosting provider does need to run some commands on the hardware node.
Here are some instructions which might help:
Here is a description how I created VPN environment:
1. created a CT in bridged mode (assigned IP and default gateway)
2. allowed VPN for the CT by using this command:
vzctl set 132 --vpn on --save
3. restart the CT
4. logged into the CT
5. by using server roles wizard added "Remote access/VPN server role"
6. chose "Custom Configuration > VPN access"
7. Opened Computer management console and allowed VPN access to Administrator:
opened properties of the user > Dial-in > set Allow access in Remote Access Permission section
Note: It is suggested you reboot the VPS after this step as RRAS may not start. A reboot should get it started.
8. created VPN connection on my XP workstation, all set by default
9. opened properties of the connection and changed "Type of VPN" to "PPTP VPN" in Networking tab
10. connected to VPN server in the CT
We have a few customers running a VPN as well. Contact your host, they should be able to help set it up for you
█ XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
█ Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
█ End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
█ Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost
Hi, I setup VPN with the instructions above. The VPS only has 1 network adater, I can connect to the VPN with the user I created but this user cant do anything once connected. Cant browse the internet, IP's work, no domains, not even if I set the DNS manually, secondly I cant see the server in the WORKGROUP and the server cant see the client neither.
However 192.168.1.5 can ping 192.168.1.6 server-client. What else do I need to setup to make them be able to see each other in the network?
This is using one nic only.
More about the setup if this helps:
main nic configured like this: public internet IP adress,
gateway starting with 192.168.22...