hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Newbie Needing Hosting Advice

Forum Jump

Newbie Needing Hosting Advice

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 08:46 PM

Newbie Needing Hosting Advice

So I have a website that I created for my older brother's business that is currently hosted at Netfirms. We have 50 days left on our hosting there and I am starting to make a push to get a different host with some more features that we need. We need to have a reliable uptime so that we can keep our customers in the know. We are still a relatively new business and there is still some people in our area that don't know we exist. Another thing that is essential is that we need a mailing list system(right now we have been running it through my brother's email account as every script I've found to try doesn't work). We don't use an overly high amount of bandwidth currently and have about 40 MB worth of things hosted on the site, so there isn't a huge amount of stuff there. Link to the website as it is currently is in my profile. I'm in the beginning stages of a revamp of it.

Basically what would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Junior Guru

The specs that you are describing would be perfect for any shared hosting environment. In regards to the Mailing List that you requrie for your site, you might could look in to looking for a host using the DirectAdmin control panel. It has a mailing list feature built inside. CPanel I am not sure, maybe a CPanel user can come a long and advise what features are available in CPanel for mailing lists. Other than that, any reputable host would be acceptable to your needs for the features you are looking for to host your site.

Regards,
Jason

Last edited by MyWinsVPS; 08-11-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:12 PM

How do I find out what type of control panel a host uses?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 PM

If you look at their specs on their website, all hosts must have a list of their specs.

Good luck

Old 08-12-2008, 01:44 AM
Web Hosting Guru

According to your needs, almost all providers are able to meet your needs, I suggest that you first find your satisfaction hosting provider in the forum , and then contact providers asked whether they support the Mailing List.

But I must remind you:
When you find your satisfaction hosting provider, you should search for their related post in the Forum and read others opinions, then decide.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:01 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I would recommend DreamHost or HostMonster.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:05 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by minthu View Post
I would recommend DreamHost or HostMonster.
WHY?

Have you used either one of them?

Old 08-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Yes, I am using both for my websites.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:12 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by minthu View Post
Yes, I am using both for my websites.
I see the web sites in your sig are hosted by Dreamhost.

So what sites do you have hosted by Hostmonster, if you wouldn't mind me asking?

Old 08-12-2008, 02:36 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJR View Post
We don't use an overly high amount of bandwidth currently and have about 40 MB worth of things hosted on the site, so there isn't a huge amount of stuff there.
All hosting companies here on WHT with favorable reviews should easily meet your requirements with plenty of room to grow.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:46 AM
Community Liaison

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostsimplex View Post
The specs that you are describing would be perfect for any shared hosting environment. In regards to the Mailing List that you requrie for your site, you might could look in to looking for a host using the DirectAdmin control panel. It has a mailing list feature built inside. CPanel I am not sure, maybe a CPanel user can come a long and advise what features are available in CPanel for mailing lists. Other than that, any reputable host would be acceptable to your needs for the features you are looking for to host your site.

Regards,
Jason
Most cPanel host offer Fantastico as part of their service; this includes a great mailing list program; so cPanel would do fine as well. Note that most hosting providers will require you have a double-opt in mailing list. (A technique used in opt-in or permission based marketing. It ensures that a potential customer actually wants to receive the marketing materials and is a way to prevent unwanted spam.)

For your requirements i believe any shared host would do; but i would look for a more professional host instead of huge oversellers as reliability is one of your main concerns if you run a business.

I wish you all the best in finding a great host.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:14 PM

Any suggestions on specific hosts? Both Rochen and Geekstorage look good but I haven't found much for reviews of them.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Community Liaison

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJR View Post
Any suggestions on specific hosts? Both Rochen and Geekstorage look good but I haven't found much for reviews of them.
Most clients only write reviews if they are not happy; luckily some customer also write reviews when services are great, but these you will find a lot less.

If a host has not many reviews it might be that WHT is not their target audience, try to google for reviews; also check the time they are in business (i believe both hosts you mention are in business for some time) but sometimes they are new and have no reviews because of that reason.

In any case i would advise you not to sign up for very long periods with a host unless they offer some kind of pro-rated refund. A x day money back guarantee is also advisable.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Both Rochen and Geekstorage look good but I haven't found much for reviews of them.
One is not targeting the "budget hosting" kind of customer, and for whatever reason, most customers belong in that category, and the other is relatively new. That being said, I think there should be enough reviews to be found to make yourself an idea of what these hosts are like, if you do a thorough search. The "search titles only" option can be of helps sometimes.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:46 AM
Web Hosting Master

With 40 Megs that is very reasonable and well suited with Shared Hosting. I would not take a step forward to Reseller or VPS as of yet until your business starts to grow.

And then from there you can make decisions if to upgrade or not. You would hate to fork out for a Business to fail.

Also check with the host to see of they have an upgrade path ( Shared > Reseller > VPS > Dedicated ). I would recommend you stick with shared hosting it is the most affordable and your host will handle all the technicalities with the server - So you don't have to worry about that.

cPanel does support mailing lists, Though also check with the hosts to see how many outgoing e-mails can be sent as they are restricted on shared hosting. The average is 500 but some may take it as low as 100 - 200 emails sent per hour.

So make sure to check with the host on that also.

Best of Luck with the Business Guys.

l www.spiralhosting.com Chief Technical Officer Superior Service Guarantee

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Rackspace Launches One-Stop Digital Services Practice Web Hosting News 2014-03-03 16:14:03
Nominet Pilot Program Hopes to Help SMBs Combat Cyber Threats with Support, Advice Web Hosting News 2014-02-07 15:12:39
Easyspace and Crunch Partner to Package Hosting and Accounting Services Web Hosting News 2013-07-15 15:03:55
WHD.global 2013: OnApp Shares Cloud Best Practices through New Website Web Hosting News 2013-03-19 07:33:08
Why Security is Key to the Growth of the Cloud Business with Gray Hall of Alert Logic Web Hosting News 2012-09-20 12:11:01