Glib but not fluent (Q's from an absolute newbie)

So, I'm looking for a host for my little crafts storefront. And I've found several likely prospects, thanks to these forums. But there are SO many terms that I don't know, and I can't find a bonehead tutorial anywhere. I'm ignorant as to the most basic things- like, is PoP3 mail the kind that comes to your mail utility? What's CGI-bin? (I sort of know that one, I think) How do I set up subdomains? we're talking real basic here. Anyone have a link for me?

Last edited by sparrow; 09-02-2002 at 12:06 PM.
    Sparrow
    www.sparrowzworld.net

Re: Glib but not fluent (Q's from an absolute newbie)

Originally posted by Dragonmom
    So, I'm looking for a host for my little crafts storefront. And I've found several likely prospects, thanks to these forums. But there are SO many terms that I don't know, and I can't find a bonehead tutorial anywhere. I'm ignorant as to the most basic things- like, is PoP3 mail the kind that comes to your mail utility? What's CGI-bin? (I sort of know that one, I think) How do I set up subdomains? we're talking real basic here. Anyone have a link for me?
    the best thing to do here is to search (top right), or ask your questions again - there's always somebody else besides you that wants to know....

POP3 Email is what you use with email software like outlook express/outlook, eudora etc. This is pretty much standard with all hosting accounts.

CGI-Bin allows you to run PERL scripts (hotscripts.com is a great resource for scripts). perl scripts are basically programs that run on *nix servers. other programming languages are PHP, ASP, JSP.

Subdomains are usually setup through your control panel. 90% of the time the control panel will be CPanel which has a subdomain setup feature.

any other questions you have - we can answer them for you

Hmm...
    Nice try, Sparrow- I never found that one. I can get info from 0-9 and A to G but it seems like the rest of the pages don't exist yet! Building a dictionary is just not that easy. I will just have to pester you kind people here. Promise you won't laugh- if I promise to search the forums first?
    Wish about.com had something, you'd think they would

what's Imap3 mail? this is so embarrassing....

Originally posted by Dragonmom
    what's Imap3 mail? this is so embarrassing....
    really you shouldn't be embarrassed....like i said, there is always at least 1 other person that doesn't know....

imap is an email protocol that offers some extended email features. You can do things like download the headers of the emails only and then pick out the emails you want to read. This saves time and bandwidth (great for those wireless internet cellphone deals)

It also keeps the messages on the server so that you can check your email wherever you have a webbrowser....

and if i'm not mistaken, the current version is imap4

Basically, I offer a fluid range of items, many of which have a few options, and I consult via email on custom work. I need a shopping interface, and room for lots of pictures, which I'm beginning to understand means bandwidth... I'm familiar with FTP and have struggled with raw html coding... And, i work on a mac.
    Well, I have some of my pages on Angelfire right now, "for practice".
    I have worked out a wayfor my visitors to navigate, and I'm told it's pretty effective and intuitive. Paypal has a shopping cart service, the html is easy to understand and put in place. So, I think, my needs are pretty simple, really.
    What's MySQL, SSl, all those other things? How much of it do I need to worry about? What do i use a database for, if my sales items offer minimal choices...
    Man, I don't even know what questions to ask!

What's MySQL, SSl, all those other things? How much of it do I need to worry about? What do i use a database for, if my sales items offer minimal choices...
    MySQL is a database standard...many great PHP/Perl scripts make use of it, including most shopping cart softwares (again, hotscripts.com is a great resource).

You may want to consider using a service such as 2checkout.com or revecom.com to accept orders, as not all customers will be eligible or will want to use PayPal.

SSL (Secure Socket Layer) is a protocol that encrypts data that is send over the internet. You will need to buy a certificate (instantsll, thawte, versign and others provide them) and have your host install it for you.

Man, I don't even know what questions to ask!
    ask them all