* "RIAA willing to try alternative approach"

http://www.riaa.org/storymain.htm
    RIAA to sue music sharers? Not Anymore

With the legal file sharing service kazaa still online, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) today announced that it intends to offer the latest albums for download from riaa.org.

As you are probably aware, the RIAA has been pursuing a policy of preventing this activity in recent months

We have recently become aware that this approach is yielding only limited results and in some cases may in fact be harming sales and the artists' revenue stream.

The RIAA wishes to apologise for the heavy-handed manner in which the popular chinese site Listen4Ever was closed down, and would like to present the following items for free download as a token of its goodwill.

Of course the list is relatively small, but please be patient - we expect to offer over 300 next week. We also intend to offer pre-released movies in the coming months.

If what you want isn't on the list, then please try Kazaa Lite - available here
    http://icant.build-my.com/riaa.gif
    Last edited by DougBTX; 09-01-2002 at 06:52 PM.

Is that for real?
    I never thought that I would see that happening!

I just learned that the site was hacked. That's not for real! I knew something was wrong with that.

Where is Internet going?

How many times have they been hacked so far this year? 3-4 times... anyway here's the thread on it. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=71137

ya that should explain

Originally posted by inogenius
    How many times have they been hacked so far this year? 3-4 times... anyway here's the thread on it. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=71137
    Never saw that

Its a 404 now though..

Douglas

I can still access the page. What's taking them so long to take it down?

I cant also....must be a hackers day..

Maybe the hackers are at active war with the RIAA...I'm surprised they just didn't DDoS the site.
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

Hrmm. I'm getting connection refused. How interesting.

The site was working yesterday and so was that page. The MP3s listed managed to download at 80kbps however they got promptly deleted because I didn't like the crackers' choice of music.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net

I like Linkin Park, however their new album (the one that was posted) wasn't as good as the first. I can still get to the page right now, although it's loading extremely slow. I give them another 4-5 days till they are hacked again.

This whole thing with the RIAA just sums up how pointless the take down of napster really was.

Now they are admitting that this is the direction music is going. If they only would have used napster as a subsciption service, wow, everyone would be better off.
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Originally posted by mind21_98
    Maybe the hackers are at active war with the RIAA...I'm surprised they just didn't DDoS the site.
    Actually, that already did happen, a few weeks ago.
    Originally posted by JBIZ718
    Now they are admitting that this is the direction music is going.
    I might be misunderstanding you, but just to be clear: the RIAA is not saying this is the direction music is going, or anything else that's on the site right now.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Now they are admitting that this is the direction music is going. If they only would have used napster as a subsciption service, wow, everyone would be better off.
    Yes, the RIAA changed their minds and are now letting everyone download linkin park as a way of apologizing.

They have been hacked. Again and again. They picked a fight with the wrong people. Their website does not show them admitting anything. They have been hacked.

Thank god you arent in charge of security at webreseller.

This whole thing with the RIAA just sums up how pointless the take down of napster really was.

*points at him and laughs*
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

Acronym BOY im not sure what any of this has to do with my ability to maintain a security level at the company I work for.

Other then you takin a cheap shot which seems to be something you like to do. Considering that within my major in school security classes is a must, I probably know more then most.

In regards to the RIAA and there site being hacked, I am aware of it. I dont find it a actual way to get a situation resolved, but doing constant research on the development of online music and there backing for subscription services, It would have made a ton more sense for the RIAA and napster too work together years ago and find a solution that works. Even if napster would have charge $5 per month for unlimited downloads, with a subscriber base of 50 million a month, that adds up very quickly.
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

they stay getting hacked....