fdcservers.net - IP problem

I have a dedicate server on fdcservers.net, and the uptime of my server is already the second week about 80%.

On the 25 of August I find out that my server does not work because my IP is used by another server. I wrote to support, my IP was returned to me but I did not get any explanation.

On the 31 of August my IP is again used on another server. After my mail, support gave me my IP back but again without any explanation.

And on the 1 of September I see that my IP is again used on another server.

A friend of mine also had such a problem but only once.

Has anybody had a similar problem? Or is it the time to change the hosting?

Is it the same person taking the ip every time?
    Sounds as if they are the following:

1. Doing it on purpose
    2. No idea what they are doing and have it in a configuration file and every time they reboot it takes the ip back

Now, the above is under the assumption it is the same person everytime.

My rule is 3 strikes and you're out. If someone needs to be warned more than 3 times to stop "stealing" ip addresses, then they are becoming an abusive user and threaten your other customers (sale income), so out the door they go.

Hint: telnet to port 25 on the ip, if they're running an MTA it almost always will return the server name.

And as a drastic measure, if you find out it IS the same person everytime and FDCServers doesn't get rid of them, take THEIR main server ip and see how they like it, do this until they get the point.

Well if someone steals IPs it is first of all not FDCs fault. They should kick whoever causes this though.

Originally posted by NocSol
    Well if someone steals IPs it is first of all not FDCs fault. They should kick whoever causes this though.
    It becomes the fault of FDC when they sit idle about the issue.

If someone kept stealing your car, and the police just returned your car without arresting (stopping) the person, wouldn't you then be looking at them for answers? You could shoot the guy too, as I suggested

Originally posted by clockwork

It becomes the fault of FDC when they sit idle about the issue.

If someone kept stealing your car, and the police just returned your car without arresting (stopping) the person, wouldn't you then be looking at them for answers? You could shoot the guy too, as I suggested
    Yep, cannot argue on with that

lol i like his idea about taking his main ip and then it will make him quit

hope you get it all resolved.

can't fdc implement something where people can't steal ips ?? or use ips taht are already in use, causing problems

if its possible todo this, then it is fdc's fault

The only thing I wish from FDC is response times and faster hardware replacements.

I have one server with them, with so much bad hardware, bad hard drive first, then bad memory, then now bad motherboard!!!?? (I think, server just died after rpm -Va)

My other 2 servers are just fine, but my MAIN MAIN server is just freaking down, and they won't respond to me for over 14 hours now . Imagine that much downtime, for faulty hardware.

HELP

They should use subnet masks. That is one of the main complaints I had with RackShack too. Why is it so hard for people to utilize anyway? It is just an organizatorial thing...

14 hours is quite good. Just took them 3 DAYS (!!!) to replace my faulty harddrive. They did always reply to my emails while I was waiting, but it took them 2 days to get a new harddrive and an extra day to get it set up. I'm usually quite a defender of FDC, but there's no way in hell I can take 3 days of downtime because of faulty hardware with a smile...
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

Originally posted by clocker1996
    can't fdc implement something where people can't steal ips ?? or use ips taht are already in use, causing problems

if its possible todo this, then it is fdc's fault
    They can use static arp entries, but that can become a pain, however, that prevents a lot of security issues coming up.

It's quite easy to "hijack" servers in this sort of setup now (which most networks use, sadly) - this guy just took the ip, what if he had took the ip and still routed incoming packets to the guys server too, all the meanwhile sniffing for usernames/passwords?

Originally posted by Tazzman
    14 hours is quite good. Just took them 3 DAYS (!!!) to replace my faulty harddrive. They did always reply to my emails while I was waiting, but it took them 2 days to get a new harddrive and an extra day to get it set up. I'm usually quite a defender of FDC, but there's no way in hell I can take 3 days of downtime because of faulty hardware with a smile...
    I am going for day 2 now........maybe it is really 3 days

But they haven't responded to anything since yesterday 4 AM CST.

All my e-mails after that must have been ignored.

Same thing also happened at RS. My IP was being stolen by the same person/organzation, guess what, RS didn't do anything to him/it, I think for one reason, that guy got over 3 servers there. The only thing I did was to leave RS immediately.