Thread: Visa Debit

Visa Debit

Does anyone know how old you have to be to apply for a Visa Debit card?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you have to be 18.
    Binasys Ltd
    http://www.binasys.co.uk

why?

See Darth your under 18.
    I'm sure it would be 18 but there are other cards for teenagers but no one accepts them.
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

That's just my experience with Barclays. Before you're 18 you can get a Visa Electron, but they're pretty useless imo.

Please correct me if i'm wrong though, I am by no means an expert in the field.
    Binasys Ltd
    http://www.binasys.co.uk

You can get a VISA debit card no matter how old you are--if you have a checking account, your parents approve of it, AND your bank supplies them.

Depending on whether or not your bank partners with VISA, you should have no problem.

Just call them up and ask what their procedures are.

James

But you can get your own credit card for your mums account so your sharing an account but that's pointless.
    But the laws in Ireland may differ somewhat.

Originally posted by ned patter
    See Darth your under 18.
    I'm sure it would be 18 but there are other cards for teenagers but no one accepts them.
    We all know your under 18 to

I don't understand why its 18.. its debit ffs

Ireland?

Originally posted by zRedDice
    You can get a VISA debit card no matter how old you are--if you have a checking account, your parents approve of it, AND your bank supplies them.

Depending on whether or not your bank partners with VISA, you should have no problem.

Just call them up and ask what their procedures are.

James

Thought so, thanks ill go and find out tomorrow. Btw in the uk?

Well come on what under 18 year old has money to put into an account?.

Ned please keep out of this thread if you have nothing usefull to say.

Darn this is going to take a while...

Paypal has a debit card. Also you can usually get one through your bank checking account. Even if your under age

Thanks

Yea, but thats in the US?

I don't know what goes on now, but you used to have to be 18 here (New York) to get a checking account.

oh well, ill try and apply for a electron and debit and see what happens

even if you did get a paypal debit card, most places you will be paying for servers at will only accept credit cards, in which case the visa debit card is my choice.

Thanks for the help.

No, you don't have to be 18, cause I have one and I'm only 17. All you have to do is have a good credit rating to get accepted and you need a Co-Signer of someone who is over 18. They usually have the applications at your bank.

VisaBuxx.com

You only have to be 13 I believe...

I have one; it works great.

Originally posted by Tom Kaplan
    VisaBuxx.com

You only have to be 13 I believe...

I have one; it works great.
    US?

That's US I think... they don't do that in the UK yet. A Visa card certainly is needed if you're working or shopping on the web... but the only way to get one in the UK is to share one with an adult... or be over 18 yourself .

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

You all mention visa. However I see MasterCard as more of a better alternative.

Isn't sharing one against the terms of use?

Mastercard or Visa i just want one!

Darth, I noticed your thread along the same lines in this thread:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=70989

I posted in there and believe from past experience that you must be over 18 to get a full VISA Card of any kind.

It is a protection mechanism so that under 18s cant go out and spend huge amounts, the reason being is because VISA uses a "ticket" mechanism to pay for things, when you pay for something with VISA it doesnt automatically come out of your bank account, the shop raises a "charge ticket" and sends them off in bulk to charge your account and everyone elses, therefore they cannot check for cleared funds (unless you are already over a credit cards limit)

So its the whole "credit card" mechanism that stops under 18s getting a credit card of any kind, you see VISA Debit Card is actually a form of credit card.

You will have to wait to get VISA, Mastercard, Amex or anything else until you are 18, unless some sort of "kids credit card" has been invented. (You Could try "Toys R Us" they do lots of plastic there )

Even friends of mine at have only just turned 18 only have Ł400-Ł500 credit limits on their credit cards because credit card companies are still a little weary of 18 yr olds, it took me a while to get mine upped to a Ł10,000 limit.

So all in all, I dont think ur gonna get one, Darth, how old are you?
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting™

I just found this site...it is an international stored value card...

http://www.greenatmcard.com/

I need one too :cry:

if your under 18 you won't get one. simple as that. Visa can't issue cards by law to under 18s in the uk.

a parent can nominate you to have a RE account under their credit rating but these are being withdrawn by most banks due to the amount of crap that tends to come with them.

Lloyds TSB (who i work for) will now only issue them if your parents are considered 'high value', basically to keep them sweet.

You alternatives are:
    Visa Electron / Solo
    Switch

Both being fairly good though only accepted by people in the UK. The only people i know of are people that bill through Hostcharge or Worldpay.

If you get a Switch you will also get access to the Maestro network which is the US equivilent.

anyway. bit of a rant. but hope it is some help.
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

My bank wouldn't give me a checking account, even if I cosigned with my folks. (I guess it's some kind of weird California law?) They did give me a savings account, but it was kinda limited.

3 months until I turn 18, and then I won't be supressed by child laws!
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

Originally posted by Darth
    Isn't sharing one against the terms of use?
    if you mean a parent giving it to you to use then it is against the terms of use. the second anybody but the cardholder uses it, it also becomes fraud. banks aren't to keen on fraud.
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

i ahev applied for 2 and hopefully be getting it soon

Originally posted by thebyp2
    if your under 18 you won't get one. simple as that. Visa can't issue cards by law to under 18s in the uk.

a parent can nominate you to have a RE account under their credit rating but these are being withdrawn by most banks due to the amount of crap that tends to come with them.

Lloyds TSB (who i work for) will now only issue them if your parents are considered 'high value', basically to keep them sweet.

You alternatives are:
    Visa Electron / Solo
    Switch

Both being fairly good though only accepted by people in the UK. The only people i know of are people that bill through Hostcharge or Worldpay.

If you get a Switch you will also get access to the Maestro network which is the US equivilent.

anyway. bit of a rant. but hope it is some help.
    Solo - already got
    Switch - can get it but i need a card to work with paypal
    visa electron - RUN

Damn you paypal!

Originally posted by ned patter
    Well come on what under 18 year old has money to put into an account?.
    Me... I was annoyed at having to wait until I was 18 to get a Visa debit card.

The day after I turned 18 (it was a Sunday), I went and got one.

A month later the bank offered me a Visa card with $1000 limit so I got that as well. The balance is paid back in full each month, but it's good knowing I have it "just in case". They still keep on offering me other credit cards with higher limits, but I'd rather limit myself to what I know I can pay back without any problems.

I only use the Visa debit card for Internet transactions. I transfer the money onto there beforehand and then purchase. I keep the Visa credit card for offline purchases only.

I should note that my Visa debit card looks and acts *exactly* like a Visa credit card - contrary to what I've heard about overseas ones. I can use it *everywhere* that Visa credit is accepted.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net

Originally posted by thebyp2

Maestro can be used as a debit card?

How intriguing. I've had a card with Maestro on it since I was 12 and never even knew that .

As they say, you learn something knew everyday

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing

WOW

While on this, im starting a hosting business and need a credit card, im 18 but dont have a job, do they give out credit cards or do i need a job :/
    Western Man

Originally posted by MultiVol
    WOW

While on this, im starting a hosting business and need a credit card, im 18 but dont have a job, do they give out credit cards or do i need a job :/
    You will generally need a job *and* some sort of regular income.

However, if you have your own company/business then that is classified as a job and you only need to show a regular income.

As my business and personal bank accounts are with the same bank that issued my credit card, they only needed to look at them to show that I had a regular income.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing

Darth, Just wondering, how old are you?
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting™