unlimited bandwith?

my old host?

lol .. here is my old hosts page... have a laugh

enjoy boys

http://www.homenetweb.com

this is what i paid $20 a month for hassles hassles hassles

downtime downtime no support
    chris <chrismccoy@chrismccoy.com>

I think we need an "Unlimited Forum" to place all these threads in.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Oh another one! haha!

An Unlimited Forum may be a bit pointless.. so what about a sub forum... Hall of Shame and Hall of Fame!! hehe

Yea

I hate unlimited bandwidth

Hmm
    http://www.homenetweb.com/contact/support/

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /contact/support/ on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.22 Server at www.homenetweb.com Port 80

I hate Unlimited Bandwidth

perl -le '$_=`man perlfaq1`;print/"(j.*)"/'
    Offering "unlimited" isn't a bad thing. We feel that over time, our users will average out. Some will need lots of megabytes for their site, and some won't. Some will get lots of web traffic and some won't. A good example of this is Simple Network Communications (simplenet.com), who was bought out by Yahoo! a year or so ago. They had been offering "unlimited" accounts since 1997-98 if I'm not mistaken. Of course they had many complaints from customers, such as myself. But all in all, they gave me a lot more than I paid for and that's what counts.

Fris.net has been nothing but trouble for us over the past month. After the owner of the site claimed he moved only 50GB per month of data, I accepted him for hosting at $20.00 per month, with the agreement that he's paying for 100GB of monthly transfer, and *NOT* unlimited, since it was an adult site and I knew I'd be in big trouble if I promised bandwidth I couldn't deliver at that price. After the first couple of weeks, his site was leeched and moved around 300GB of data in 5 days. After trying to write up anti-leeching scripts, I figured I'd just place an .htaccess in the "bad" directories with RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER}.

Almost 2 months later, we find out he is now linked to TheHun, which receives around 300,000 hits per day. His site alone was receiving several hits per second and Apache didn't have enough children specified in httpd.conf to handle the newly acquired traffic. It started to hang. Several hours later, we figure out the problem and close his account. We're not billing him for the 273GB of data he has moved since his last billing cycle and only charged him for 67GB of overture in the beginning when his site was leeched. I know, that's not unlimited, but it's more than 50% of our current resources and caused a mountain of downtime for our more mature customers. We also recently learned that our connectivity provider doesn't allow Adult websites, and we would have been forced to cancel hosting of his site on that alone.

As for the website, the last webmaster we hired who had some credibility took quite a bit of money from us and ran. In the past I've done my own webmastering, but this is the first time I've hired somebody else for help and it's also the last. Our website isn't 100% because we're still searching for the work he supposedly did. We've already recommended all current customers who require support to call our office while we battle with webby webmasters.

All in all, a lesson learned.
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.
    http://www.1NL.net
    The low cost data center.

We also recently learned that our connectivity provider doesn't allow Adult websites

How could you NOT know that when you signed up with your provider??

his site was leeched and moved around 300GB of data in 5 days
    Yeah, I hear that happens pretty frequently with adult sites.
    http://www.hostpc.com
    DirectAdmin servers for hosting, resellers and your dedicated needs.
    Hosting, Resellers, Dedicated Managed and Unmanaged servers
    Hosting since 11/98 - Specializing in DirectAdmin since 8/03

Re: unlimited bandwith?

Originally posted by fris
    my old host?

lol .. here is my old hosts page... have a laugh

enjoy boys

http://www.homenetweb.com

this is what i paid $20 a month for hassles hassles hassles

downtime downtime no support
    Fantastic. I was at this forum and these kids where talking about hosting and this boy talked about a host that offered unlimited and the rest of the kids went like "wow that's cool".
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

Maybe if the hosting customers were better educated, they wouldn't purposely look for unlimited bandwidth, would they? Most of the hosting directories today still have the search option for 1) unlimited space and 2) unlimited hits

Kind of funny, now that you think about it

Am I missing something here, you are complaining about how much monthly transfer your customer is utilising but you offer unlimited Traffic Allowance, you might want to have a look at your plans http://www.homenetweb.com/services/

Originally posted by Richard Ward
    Fris.net has been nothing but trouble for us over the past month.
    What an excellent way to talk about you customer, reading the customers comments you have been nothing but trouble with downtime downtime and no support

Interesting Quote

I find one paragraph interesting on the site.

Monitoring every site we host would take an entire team of people who'd be better giving you technical support.
    Most hosts will not waste an entire team of people on monitoring bandwidth traffic of every site. Personally, we wrote a PERL script that does it for us. The logic is quite simple.

--
    Walter Landman
    Programmer

Originally posted by imitech
    Am I missing something here, you are complaining about how much monthly transfer your customer is utilising but you offer unlimited Traffic Allowance, you might want to have a look at your plans http://www.homenetweb.com/services/

What an excellent way to talk about you customer, reading the customers comments you have been nothing but trouble with downtime downtime and no support
    I will quote my above post, "I accepted him for hosting at $20.00 per month, with the agreement that he's paying for 100GB of monthly transfer, and *NOT* unlimited." You might want to re-read what was posted, Sir.
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.

Originally posted by diederik
    Hmm
    http://www.homenetweb.com/contact/support/

lol

at first i thought it said "You don't have permission to contact support on this server. "

Originally posted by hostpc.com

How could you NOT know that when you signed up with your provider??

Yeah, I hear that happens pretty frequently with adult sites.
    Our previous staff failed to mention this to the broad group of us, and therefore myself personally was unaware. I now keep a fresh copy of the AUP/TOS handy like a Bible and try to keep tabs on suspicious websites that might cause trouble and break either the connectivity provider's or our policy. Like I said before, a lesson learned.
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.

Originally posted by avium
    Maybe if the hosting customers were better educated, they wouldn't purposely look for unlimited bandwidth, would they? Most of the hosting directories today still have the search option for 1) unlimited space and 2) unlimited hits

Kind of funny, now that you think about it
    Everybody, unlimited or otherwise, has something to cover their asses. Ours is common sense. Would you continue to host a site that is paying you $20.00 US Dollars per month and moves in excess of 300GB per month? That's just under 1mbps. Two sites using that much bandwidth, and generating $40.00 per month in income would take more than a T1 (1.54) in bandwidth. Last time I checked, I couldn't get a T1 for under $650.00 per month. That means I'd be losing over $7,000.00 per year and I'd be ~20% oversold.
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.

Originally posted by Richard Ward

Everybody, unlimited or otherwise, has something to cover their asses. Ours is common sense. Would you continue to host a site that is paying you $20.00 US Dollars per month and moves in excess of 300GB per month? That's just under 1mbps. Two sites using that much bandwidth, and generating $40.00 per month in income would take more than a T1 (1.54) in bandwidth. Last time I checked, I couldn't get a T1 for under $650.00 per month. That means I'd be losing over $7,000.00 per year and I'd be ~20% oversold.
    Precisely the reason that unlimited bandwidth is a ridiculous and dishonest thing to offer...

unlimited

still no such thing as unlimited bandwith i had a nice ride while it lasted

i am going to continue submitted tgp galleries from subdomain.fris.net and sending traffic to www.fris.net to your server so enjoy the hits richard
    chris <chrismccoy@chrismccoy.com>

Re: unlimited

Originally posted by fris
    still no such thing as unlimited bandwith i had a nice ride while it lasted

i am going to continue submitted tgp galleries from subdomain.fris.net and sending traffic to www.fris.net to your server so enjoy the hits richard
    I should add in a maturity level requirement for all new sign-ups.
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.

His unlimited offer is BS, but his complaint about some customer being punks is just as valid. When we get a**holes, we boot them. We don't want the trash. They can bad mouth all they want. It is one less headache the staff needs to worry about.

Sorry if you guys feel a customer is always right, but I don't. An a**hole looking for trouble with a host has no less the right of service refusal as an a**hole coming into a restaurant or clothing store.

Sums it up.

Looks like someone offered something they can't really offer and some idiot signed up to cause trouble. How do you fix this? Stop offering unlimited and when you get punks, boot them off quick. Don't even play games with them.

Originally posted by UmBillyCord

His unlimited offer is BS, but his complaint about some customer being punks is just as valid. When we get a**holes, we boot them. We don't want the trash. They can bad mouth all they want. It is one less headache the staff needs to worry about.

Sorry if you guys feel a customer is always right, but I don't. An a**hole looking for trouble with a host has no less the right of service refusal as an a**hole coming into a restaurant or clothing store.

Sums it up.

Looks like someone offered something they can't really offer and some idiot signed up to cause trouble. How do you fix this? Stop offering unlimited and when you get punks, boot them off quick. Don't even play games with them.
    Of course it's bull****, because I did not offer this customer unlimited bandwidth (Please read above posts). I would have more tolerance with more mature customers, wouldn't you? I offered him exactly what he signed up for, 100GB per month. He did not sign up for the right to be childish to myself or my staff. That costs extra!
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.

But how come you had to make that 100gb deal? Are the services not unlimited? Do they not 'balance out'? I don't see why he has to be limited to 100gb, when everyone else can get more bandwidth than 100gb for $20 a month. What was the reasoning behind limiting him to 100gb? Did he pay less than the unlimited customers because you limited him?

Originally posted by lightnin
    But how come you had to make that 100gb deal? Are the services not unlimited? Do they not 'balance out'? I don't see why he has to be limited to 100gb, when everyone else can get more bandwidth than 100gb for $20 a month. What was the reasoning behind limiting him to 100gb? Did he pay less than the unlimited customers because you limited him?
    He paid the same amount as the unlimited customers. He paid for a set amount of bandwidth because I knew he would be using an excessive amount of that. What you are all overlooking is the fact that he did *NOT* pay for unlimited bandwidth. Let me repeat that: He did not pay for "unlimited" bandwidth. He paid for 100GB per month, and went over that twice. Once he was charged for (~67GB overture), and second he was terminated for (200+GB overture). If I remember correctly, his plan included a 40GB disk quota which was only limited by the partition size on the drive he was assigned to. He paid for 100GB, exceeded that for two consecutive months, and we gave him a break by canceling his troublesome account instead of billing him for the over 200GB in overture since the last billing cycle. I don't see any disservice here, just a provider weeding out bad seeds. If I didn't cancel his account, with 300,000 hits per day, it would have cost him about $400.00 per month, and I would end up having to move his site to a dedicated machine. I'm sorry, but that costs a *bit* more than $20.00, Sir.
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast