Thread: dns

dns

Hi all,

Was wandering what people do for dns management when hosting multiple sites on servers. Do you guys run your own dns software?, use your NOCs? or use a 3rd party service like zoneedit.com?

Thanks,
    Sam.

I'm a big fan of everydns.net -- speedy service and clean intuitive interface. Use it whenever I can get away with it.

I just use two copies of bind, one at each of my locations. One I use as the primary for all of the hosted domains, the other for the secondary. All the other servers use whichever of those two nameservers is in the same datacenter as them. I'm also considering switching to djbdns, in which case I might run seperate caches on each server (with the same primary/secondary setup).

Before I ever had any servers of my own and just ran my own personal site, I used hn.org for my nameservers.

I recommend easyDNS (http://easydns.com/).

thanks for the replies,

I have decided to go for Verisigns dns service. They offer 4 nameservers and works out about $1.50 per domain per month for me.
    At the end of the day i dont think anyone will beat their reliability and its cost effective.

Sam.

VeriSign, lol.

Btw, what scale are we talking about here? How many domains?

Yeah, the verisigndns.com service looks pretty attractive, but it doesn't take a whole lot of domains before thats a real expensive solution.

will be opening an initial account with about 100.
    Im not a $20 host, i host quality windows accounts with a maximum 300 per server so $1.50 per plan is fine for quality dns.

and why the "lol" for Verisign?