Sending Mail To MSN

I help run a small web hosting / design shop where we host for a small number of clients.

About two weeks ago, we started noticing that any email our users (we have 400) tried to send an email to an account it would bounce. MSN users are able to send email to our users, just not the other way around.

We've haven't had any other problems with any other large ISPs (AOL, Yahoo!, etc.)

When you watch an email try to be sent to MSN in the mail server log, it get's as far as "Waiting for protocol to establish" and then terminates. So it's able to connect to the correct DNS/MX record. BTW, We're using Mdaemon as our mail server.

Of course, trying to find the right person at Microsoft to talk to is impossible. They keep telling me to call this number where they'll help me set up Outlook properly. They do say that their not blocking our IP address.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

are you using cpanel as there seems to be a common problem with cpanel for us with msn too. there's a thread about it a if you do a search for "msn bounce"

Try one thing from the server having issues:

telnet 25

If it returns:

Connected to
    Escape character is '^]'.
    Connection closed by foreign host.

You need to contact MSN to have your IP removed from their blacklists.

If the command returns:

Connected to
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 5.0.2195.4453 ready at Wed, 12 Mar 2003 19:04:37 -0800

MSN is not blocking your mail. You have other issues.

I've got the exact same problem. How I got blacklisted I may never know. I used the technical contact form (somewhere) on and got this response...

Thank you for writing to MSN Internet Access Member Support.

This is Kat and I understand that you are unable to send messages to MSN Mail subscribers. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

In our efforts to combat spam, MSN has a set of rules in place to help identify spam and block IP addresses accordingly. Occasionally IP's are incorrectly blocked, and we need to take steps to ensure msn customers can receive e-mail from these IP addresses.

To be able to escalate your concern, we will need some specific information from your mail provider.
    Please provide us with the following information:
    1) Your domain SMTP server or servers
    2) List the IP address or addresses that are associated with these SMTP servers for the domain. There may also be a range of addresses the SMTP server operates on, in which case you will need to include the range as opposed to the individual addresses.
    3) Contact information for the domain administrator. Good contact information should include: full name, email address and telephone
    4) Exact copy of the Non-Deliverable Report (NDR) or error message received

We appreciate your patience regarding this issue and we look forward to your reply. This issue should be resolved for you within 2 business days from the time of escalation.

London, UK
    Are you using qmail? I thought there was issues some time ago with qmail and msn ? (i could be wrong).
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK | US | Since 1998.

Search the NANOG archives for "Blocked by MX, contact for MSN.COM postmaster ?". Myself and a few others had the same issues; how we eventually got unblocked is fairly well documented.

It usually takes a few weeks, so you may want to start forwarding mail to another server that isn't blacklisted so that users mail can be delivered.