Which mp3 player (hardware) do you recommend?

Ok I got to buy one for sanity at work. Remember that phone-answering lady in "Office Space" ? Well, she's 3 cubes down from mine.

Which mp3 player (hardware) do you recommend? Budget not an issue, but features and quality are.

Thanks!

Definitely the MP3 Players by Intel or Creative. Seen samples of both, just awesome!

iPod. It's the only option you should ever use. www.apple.com/ipod

If you use a pc there are plenty of ways to use it on Windows as well. I believe Apple makes a version for windows, as well as a third party company offers xplay which lets you use your ipod in windows. The iPod uses firewire and can transfer an entire cd worth in 15 seconds. You can also store file system on the ipod (and mount it just like a firewire drive) I keep a bootable operating system on it as well. It's the best mp3 purchase I ever made. Nice and small fits in hand easily. Has a 20 minute!!! sound buffer.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/userinterface.html

I've previously had the rio (usb gag) 800
    Last edited by inkhead; 08-31-2002 at 03:01 PM.

i have a philips like cd mp3 player cept for the fact it doesn't have id3 tags i love it....
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

I actually still have and sometimes use my RIO 300!! The first MP3 Player ever. I Usually just use my Ipaq with 128mb CF card to listen to Mp3's now!!
    Regards,
    Ronan
    Pairone Networks Ltd
    Cloud Hosting @www.pair1.ie

128mb of RAM? That's barely 3 of my cds ripped in high quality :-( I have all my mp3's synced between my computer and iPod for a total of 10.3 GB

Although my old Rio 800 only had 128mb...

Originally posted by RFhost
    I actually still have and sometimes use my RIO 300!! The first MP3 Player ever. I Usually just use my Ipaq with 128mb CF card to listen to Mp3's now!!
    Yeah the Diamond playe IS cool but limited to RAM. The Creative Players f.e. have 6-10GB notebook harddrives in them

yeah my iPod is 20gb. those creative devices aren't all that bad. But it's usb, you can't mount the device as just another hard disk if you choose. That means drivers, and setting up transfer software (with horrible interfaces) And have you ever tried transfering 5 gig over USB? Get the iPod it's firewire.

I will consider the iPod, does it come with a cable for firewire? I have a firewire port on my ATI 8500DV card.

Thanks to all for the replies. I have been looking into the Diamond/Sonicblue range as well. They just released muvo which is a lighter size player that's basically a USB plug with 2 buttons and a battery jack!

Yes it comes with the cables, remote, software, and earbuds. If you live in a big city they probably have an Apple Retail Store nearby. I urge you to check it out and get your hands on one in the store. I was a skeptic at first about using something from evil apple. So i went and tried it out. I was blown away by it. Once you play with the iPod you won't ever use another mp3 player!

http://www.apple.com/retail/ <-- so you can find the store nearest you.

The Falls
    Miami

Wellington Green
    Wellington

International Plaza
    Tampa

I like my Siemens SL 45 mobile, which has a built-in MP3 player

Originally posted by inkhead
    Yes it comes with the cables, remote, software, and earbuds. If you live in a big city they probably have an Apple Retail Store nearby. I urge you to check it out and get your hands on one in the store. I was a skeptic at first about using something from evil apple. So i went and tried it out. I was blown away by it. Once you play with the iPod you won't ever use another mp3 player!

http://www.apple.com/retail/ <-- so you can find the store nearest you.

The Falls
    Miami

Wellington Green
    Wellington

International Plaza
    Tampa
    I'll have to check it out, thans If there are no stores in Orlando, I'll drive to Tampa.

apple ipod all the way, it the best purchase i had made as far as a mp3 player goes

Originally posted by diederik
    I like my Siemens SL 45 mobile, which has a built-in MP3 player
    I have the sX 45, heh, MP3 - Windows all included

I do a lot of biking; would an iPod hold up?

Timechange, go iPod...they're great
    Colin

I have an Archos Jukebox www.archos.com Pretty pricey but very nice. Holds up to 20 gigs of storgae.

Not an actual MP3 player so to speak, but the Sony NetMD players are fantastic.

I bought a Sony MZ-N505 (Australian version - has a few more things such as remote control, better headphones, recharger, etc. than overseas versions).

It is fantastic. An AU$5 minidisc will store between 74m and 4h 56m of music depending on the quality (I personally use the quality to give 4h 56m and it is fine).

All you do is connect it to the PC with USB and transfer mp3s, wma, etc. over and voila!

Rated battery life is about 15 hours continous play with the included rechargeable battery, or ~50 hours continous play with a standard AA battery. I haven't actually had the battery die on me, I listen to it all the time and just give it a charge every few days.

Anyway, after buying my NetMD player which is small and light there is absolutely no way I would get an MP3 player .

I was going to get one of those hard disk based players, but they're a bit big for my liking. I needed something that could fit in my pocket along with my cell phone which the NetMD does.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

Rio Volt

Its one of the mp3/cd

Never had a problem with it

It was in a car crash where it got hurtled at the dashboard at 110km/h only bad thing to come of that was a small scratch.

Only problems are size and the relativly short battery life (~10hours).

Also it wont skip if you have it on 120 second anti-skip
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."