VPS that can run fuse / jungle disk

I'm currently with ServInt.net which has been a great VPS provider so far but I seem to have hit a wall. I'm not sure if the wall is because of the current host or because I just don't know what can or cannot be done on a VPS.

I want to run the module fuse and dkms-fuse so that I can run jungle disk and mount my s3 bucket to a folder on the server. Then I would be able to access it via FTP, etc.

Apparently you can't install kernel level modules on a VPS. Now, I don't know much about linux but when I tell my hosting provider: 1) This is what I want to do 2) How much will it cost? I expect an answer the lines out what my options are to achieve my goal, which seems to be impossible with ServInt.net.

Is anyone able to help with this?

Any OpenVZ or Xen VPS provide can allow you to run fuse

http://wiki.openvz.org/FUSE

and xen via modprobe fuse
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

So my web host just doesn't know what they are talking about. Since OpenVZ is the basis of Virtuozzo (from Parallels) which is what my server uses.

Virtuozzo even has documentation saying it supports Fuse. So am I wrong in assuming my web host either is using outdated software or just doesn't know what they are talking about?

**Edit: My server is running off Virtuozzo build 3.x which apparently doesn't have full support for Fuse. Great, I need a better host... :-(
    Last edited by xmdsys; 08-10-2008 at 05:02 PM.

ServInt know what they are doing. They could just be its a bit non-standard and they have internal reasons for not doing it.
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Yeah, I just got a reply from one of their engineers saying that they aren't using Virtuozzo 4 because they aren't comfortable with it's stability yet and even if they were using it they probably wouldn't use the fuse module anyway. They like to keep their builds as lightweight as possible.

So in other words, they are telling me I am paying for something I thought I was getting but actually not. Oh well, I guess this is all in the process of learning with this stuff. Now I'm off to find a new host that I can actually do something with what I'm paying for.

I happen to have a Slicehost VPS, they're Xen based, gave it a look.

Code:
    root@misc:~# modprobe -l | grep -i fuse
    /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-xen/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko
    root@misc:~# lsmod | grep -i fuse
    fuse                   56368  1
    root@misc:~#
    So there's at least one VPS host that can do fuse no problems.

Awesome, those guys look pretty promising. What build should I choose? I don't know jack about linux stuff and I'll only be getting a "slice" so I can run fuse and some basic web files.

Hmm,Slicehost is an unmanaged provider and I don't know if I'm smart enough yet to run Ubuntu to host files, web stuff, etc. Maybe I'll get a slice anyway and just use it as my learning tool, lol.

Slicehost has a number of great tutorials to guide you through the process of setting up and configuring your slice...If you are tech. savvy you should be able to get a handle on it after a few hours.
    David.

Quote Originally Posted by xmdsys View Post
    Yeah, I just got a reply from one of their engineers saying that they aren't using Virtuozzo 4 because they aren't comfortable with it's stability yet and even if they were using it they probably wouldn't use the fuse module anyway. They like to keep their builds as lightweight as possible.

So in other words, they are telling me I am paying for something I thought I was getting but actually not. Oh well, I guess this is all in the process of learning with this stuff. Now I'm off to find a new host that I can actually do something with what I'm paying for.
    Did you ask NoC to escalate your ticket or was it a reply from Tier 1 support?

Alternatively, try posting in their private forums. If you browse around, you will find lots of discussions about people doing custom stuff on their VPS. You may be able to find an answer there.

It was from a Tier 2 Engineer. I didn't find anything about what I was trying to do in their forums either.

xmdsys,

So now you're leaving ServInt, and in search of a new provider?

What requirements are you looking for in terms of disk space, RAM, bandwidth etc?

Umm, I haven't quite decided to leave ServInt as they've been a very solid trusty provider for the websites I have hosted with them. When it comes to additional software though, I can't do anything (at least it feels that way, lol).

I am looking for a host that I can setup fuse on so I can run jungle disk. Then I would be able to SFTP into the host/server and access my amazon s3 bucket files. I don't really need much space, probably more bandwidth than anything and however much RAM running fuse and jungle disk would require (I'm assuming very little).

If I was going to replace ServInt I would be looking for a host with 15-20Gb storage, 384-512Mb RAM (possibly more), managed and running cPanel. Bandwidth isn't a big concern right now but I would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 500Gb or so would be more than enough for the foreseeable future.

BTW, I'm a graphic/web designer not a hosting expert so more than anything I'm looking for somewhere I can email or call and say hey, this is what I need, how much will it cost and when can you get it done? I don't know linux and all the details on hosting, I just want a host who can keep the server from getting hacked and install the software I need when I need it. :-) So difficult I am, lol!
    Last edited by xmdsys; 08-11-2008 at 12:16 AM.

Alright,

Fair enough - and what's your price range for all of this

Right now I'm paying $50/m for my current hosting and $25/m for the slice I picked up over at slicehost.com

So I could afford up to about $80 or so per month.

Quote Originally Posted by xmdsys View Post
    It was from a Tier 2 Engineer. I didn't find anything about what I was trying to do in their forums either.
    For what it's worth, you could try asking for the ticket to be escalated to Tier 3 support. This will most probably be the sysadmins themselves answering directly.

I know that when I had some non-standard requirements, Tier 3 support gave me the kind of assistance that one would rarely expect from a hosting company. Also, try actually posting your requirements in the private forums - there are some really smart and technical people out there.