Thread: DSL Hosting

Hybrid View

DSL Hosting

Okay, since I'm in need of a new hosting provider, but I don't feel like forking over any dough and I have a spare computer lying around I was wondering what would I need to do to just to host my site and my friends off of this computer. I was thinking about downloading Red Hat Linux, and then installing that, but I'm not really sure on how to set it up? Does Red Hat come with mySQL and apache and all that other stuff installed? Or will I have to do that manually, I can if I have to, but I'm just wondering. Also what about nameservers? Will I have to pay like $20 for those so that I can use them? Or I can just put in the IP in the nameserver info and it will work?

Also right now I have DSL from SBC Ameritech at 128KBPS up and 768 Down, however I may upgrade that to something with a little more upload speed if Ameritech offers it.

I think you can make your home pc a server for hsoting your web sites. One of my friend does it. You will need to install a web server software,,need the ips . I cant remember the name of the company that provides this software...would love to know if any other member here is doing the something similar.

Okay. It is easier on Windows (if you know it). Just go to www.apache.org and download apache. then it includes automatic things for for hosting multiple sites. Now for nameservers, you can just type your IP if you want. Otherwise, goto ZoneEdit.com and they provide free nameservers for what you are doing. Read their faq and that will help yah. I do it for testing sites.

oh apache now i remember..sorry was feeling sleepy need a break...

I don't really want to use windows just because of the security issues and all. I'd probably end up hacked in a few days if I used windows, so that's why I want to use redhat. What about Corel Linux? I bought that a long time ago when it came out and I remember it having some server crap installed with it.

I was reading through this site, which looks really good:
    http://www.dslwebserver.com/

I was actually looking how to do this from Windows XP, a few free software utilities, and using Dynamic DynDNS. I have Custom DynDNS, but I'm trying to figure out how to use that to. At least this way, if my site goes down, they can go to this URL that's straight off my computer, and not somewhere else.

My computer is pretty stable, so hopefully it'd be okay. I got BBIagent running on a Pentium I, so my DSL connection is always on (Dynamic IP). But, I can't figure out what to do from there.

So for now, I'm stumped. At least my site hasn't had any problems, but I just want something...just in case.
    Bryan Villarin
    All Narfed Up

Originally posted by inogenius
    I don't really want to use windows just because of the security issues and all. I'd probably end up hacked in a few days if I used windows, so that's why I want to use redhat. What about Corel Linux? I bought that a long time ago when it came out and I remember it having some server crap installed with it.
    use freebsd
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

use freebsd
    I may, it's down to FreeBSD, cause I it downloaded and on CD's, Red Hat Linux, and Corel Linux cause I also have the CD's for that too.

perl -le '$_=`man perlfaq1`;print/"(j.*)"/'
    I'd start with Red Hat Linux, and go from there. You need Apache, BIND, MySQL, PHP, Perl, and you should be all set. All of this can be found on the Red Hat Linux box set that you'd buy in a store. No, I'm not a Red Hat salesman. I actually *hate* Linux because of its disorganization on the development side. That's a story for another time. And now for the subliminal message: FreeBSD OpenBSD NetBSD FreeBSD OpenBSD NetBSD FreeBSD OpenBSD NetBSD.
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.
    http://www.1NL.net
    The low cost data center.

It is definitely possible; it will just take a little work. I have been doing this for some time now with both cable providers and DSL providers.

First, you probably have a dynamic IP address and need to use a tool like www.zoneedit.com for your DNS system. Otherwise, if you have a static IP address, you might choose to use a tool like that or decide to do your own DNS setup and management.

Second you need a software package such as Apache or Microsoft's IIS to get the web hosting done. I recommend IIS as it tends to be easier to use and set up from the end users perspective. Apache is free though, and so is Linux if you decide to go that route.

Third, I'm assuming you have more then one computer on the DSL environment, and need to use a router and IP forwarding to forward requests on port 80 (or whatever other ports you decide to use) to the computer that will become the web host. For web hosting though, forwarding port 80 is a must.

Now if you want dynamic content on that site it sounds like you might want to install mySQL or another database server. I prefer MS SQL server as it is more robust, but then again, nothing from Microsoft is free.

Now, if your looking to get any traffic to these web sites, doing your own hosting is not a good idea. You will be limiting your web sites to 256k or 512k of bandwidth, and sadly DSL and cable modems are not burstable like most hosting companies.

I hope this might help in your ventures.

Andrew

I believe you can host a few personal sites on your dsl, its not too bad for small sites. Quite fast actually.