Question for webhost owners.

At what point would you feel comfortable leaving your business in the hands of someone else doing your job? So you can retire, or sleep

Excellent question.

I'd like to hear some responses too.

I thought it was a good post too, all the owners must be working. Maybe they should hire someone now.

@ Work - Usually!
    I would never leave my company in the hands of another !!!

I would maybe sell the company and retire though

The parent company was founded on June 1, 1995. It wasn't until January of 1998 that the 2nd employee (1st being the owner) was hired.

New employees where hired as the demand warranted it.

Thank you.
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Orlando FL USA
    For those of us that started the company from the grass roots, working every aspect of it, this is one of the hardest things to do and takes a great deal of effort to accomplish. It's common knowledge that many companies, of any type, fail within the first 3 to 5 years. I believe the inability to 'let go' of many areas of that company is one of the reasons for these failures.

There's an excellent book that touches on this area, as well as others, by the name of:
    Surviving Success: Managing the Challenges of Growth
    ISBN: 1555714463

It's an easy read with many helpful tips that help open the owner's eyes to issues that we all "know" but need reminders of their importance. Anyone that is at the stage of needing to hire more help may find this book helpful over the next few years as a simple guide to revisit from time to time.

I believe it's important for the owners to stay in close contact with the company, being there for all who work there, however it's equally important to allow them to do their jobs and lead their teams without having you staring over their shoulders and overriding their decisions. When this happens, depends on the speed of your growth and your own ability to 'let go'.
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community

Edmonton, Canada
    Leaving your business? Are you nuts?

You don't sleep next to your pager that beeps and vibrates when something happens?
    Your idea of fun isn't a background window of solitaire or freecell?
    You don't go camping with the global cellphone and laptop?

Some people...

It's really a matter of trust in your people. I've worked with my head tech guy Kevin for many years now and trust that when I'm away he keeps everyone in line and ensures stuff is handled as quickly and thoroughly as I would. Finding someone with the same visions and goals as yourself puts your mind at ease when not there (or asleep).

Then again, I haven't been away from work for more than a couple days in a row. This spring I'll be spending two weeks driving to (and enjoying) the California coast which is a real test

New Orleans
    Hear Hear.

It is TOUGH to leave your baby (whatever you do) and avoiding burnout in that 3rd to fifth year is a real killer. But hopefully, by then you will have been able to hire a person or two whom you can trust enough to be able to leave the city.

This becomes extremely important in year seven. The "seven year itch" isn't just a factor in marriages. Many entrepreneurs bail out after seven years, having gotten tired of the whole thing. The idea is to be able to move on to other aspects of the business by then, to leave the repetitive annoying crap to employees. Or maybe take a long break, a month long vacation or start a new project.

Just my .020362 Euros

Last edited by charlesh; 08-30-2002 at 06:28 PM.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Here's what it would take to for me to be able to retire or move on to another project:

1. My company would have to be consistently and duplicatably (is that a word?) profitable for about two years running with no quarters showing losses.

2. I would need managers I can trust that hold the same ideals and aptitudes (or better) that I do.

3. The company policies and procedures for innovating and managing growth would need to be ironed out, tested, and nailed down once I'm confident they consistently produce quality results.

4. I would always demand to keep my position on the board of directors of the company as long as I held a controlling interest in the stock of the company.

5. I would have to have a compelling project of greater value already in mind and underway.

I'm just finishing up the 7th year of running this company (most recent 4 years doing hosting), so I feel as if my opinion is based on real world experience.

This is just me. Other people will have different priorities.

Oops (it's an evil word, I know), forgot to finish my post, hence the edit.

As far as taking a vacation, I might do that sometime, but I haven't really thought much about it. Too busy building a fine company.
    Andrew Kinney
    CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Long beach
    Giving our business in other's hand is as good as ruining it. A business owner cannot retire untill he has the business up and running.

No other owners have any input? There has to be more! :-)

i would never leave my hosting company, even thought i have employee's i will continue to watch and make the final decision on certain things that goes on within my company.. if i happy to get tired and want to retire i will sale it to the next person ......

England, UK
    I would find it hard leaving my business in someone else’s hands especially if you have been there from its birth and watched how it has grown The reason, as in the back of my mind I will always be thinking what decisions are they making whether they are the right ones and in the best interest of the company. But having said when it does come to retirement I would like to leave the business in capable hands not just the first person that comes along

If you build a business that is incapable of running without you you are totally missing one of the major joys of being a business owner - the freedom. You of course should never neglect your business, but ultimately your goal should be to never really work "in your business" but just "on your business" leaving day to day operations to others.

The trick is not finding someone who's sharp enough, or dedicated enough or that you can trust. The trick is to build systems for every process of your business that any old ordinary joe could operate - not to find someone as sharp or as dedicated as you.

In fact - if they ARE as sharp and dedicated as you, DON'T show them your systems!

Good luck.