hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Windows Server 2003 - What edition to go with?

Forum Jump

Windows Server 2003 - What edition to go with?

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Windows Server 2003 - What edition to go with?

Hey Guys,

Just need some advice...

I've been working on a large online browser game for the last year on and off - it's due to open for beta in Oct. This game is coded in PHP/AJAX with MySQL. It's quite heavy on different graphics with characters, items, illustrations etc. It will also have a selection of Flash games to play. Similar gaming sites have more than 1000 users online in peak hours and we estimate that and more within the first 3-5 months of opening.

I want to open my site on a Windows Server as I'm a lot more familiar with Windows (Having an MCP for Windows Server 2003). I am unsure however what edition to go with. At first I thought Windows Server 2003 Web Edition (Being a website!), but this only supports up to 2gb of ram I believe? and may prove to be an issue if we need to upgrade due to the high demand of online users.
I understand I can have more than one server, but would you recommend another edition?

I haven't managed a server solely for the web before so any help is much appreciated

Last edited by Lokei; 07-17-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Quality Guaranteed..

Web edition is a lot more restricted. I believe, 64-bit Standard edition should be good for you.

- Rick

KVM Linux VPS WHT SPL Windows VPS (With More RAM) IaaS Cloud VM's WorldWide Servers With Private Network

Old 07-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Retired Moderator

Web edition supports only 2GB RAM and 2-Way Symmetric Multiprocessing. Thus you would need to first and foremost look at the server you have. For example if you have a Dual Quad Core server, your would need at least the Enterprise versions. I suggest you go through this chart to work out the licensing level you need based on hardware and the features you need: http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Thank you both for your replies.. it's looking more likely that one of the Enterprise versions will be the best bet.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Web Hosting Master

Standard Edition.

Enterprise edication is not needed every, unless you have a demand more lots of ram in 32 bit or you want to cluster.

Standard is MORE than enough

Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Web Hosting Master

I would also recommend you to the 64-bit Standard Edition.

VPS.NET -> Cloud Hosting. 18 Locations. Check out our website!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Disabled

64 Bit is what you will want to go with.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Not sure if this is relevant but if hosting with Microsoft SPLA using Standard or Enterprise editions works out very expensive as the unauthenticated option has been dropped.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Would any of you recommended a control panel?

Old 07-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Custom Hosting Master

If you really need one, either Plesk or DotnetPanel.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Quality Guaranteed..

You can consider HELM 3 or DNP on windows box...

- Rick

KVM Linux VPS WHT SPL Windows VPS (With More RAM) IaaS Cloud VM's WorldWide Servers With Private Network

Old 07-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Community Liaison

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintserve View Post
Web edition supports only 2GB RAM and 2-Way Symmetric Multiprocessing. Thus you would need to first and foremost look at the server you have. For example if you have a Dual Quad Core server, your would need at least the Enterprise versions. I suggest you go through this chart to work out the licensing level you need based on hardware and the features you need: http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true
Actually, a dual quad only requires Web. Each "core" doesn't count as a CPU. A dual quad core is only 2 cpu's.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Web Hosting Master

Yes microsoft coutns a socket as a CPU nore a core. So if you got yourself a 4 core chip its still one CPU.

I have a 16 core 4x4 box with Sofylayer running Windows 2003 Standard fine

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Microsoft Surpasses Amazon as Largest Windows Hosting Company: Netcraft Web Hosting News 2014-02-27 17:05:44
Microsoft Releases Major Updates of Windows Server, System Center, Intune Web Hosting News 2013-10-18 16:08:17
Rackspace Launches Free Cloud Assessment Tool for Windows Server 2012 Migration Web Hosting News 2013-07-31 13:27:03
Windows Server 2012 on AWS – Amazon Adds Support for the Latest Windows Server OS Web Hosting News 2012-11-20 11:42:31
Web Hosts, Cloud Hosts Launch Services Based on Windows Server 2012 Web Hosting News 2012-09-05 13:51:50