hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : Game Servers : Game Server

Forum Jump

Game Server

Reply Post New Thread In Game Servers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Temporarily Suspended

Game Server

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of selling game servers and was hoping on some suggestions;

Linux or Windows
Software
and any other needed things for hosting game servers.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Plenty of games offer Linux versions specifically for servers (but I couldn't tell you which ones off hand, we tend to stay away from the GSP market) but you're probably best off with Windows so you can support the full range.
Most games let you download the server versions for free, although it would be best to check that the EULA lets you use these for commercial purposes.
THe other thing you would need would be some kind of control panel. Although Plesk and cPanel etc. can support a limited range of game servers you're probably best off going with a one that is designed purely for GSPs. Some GSP companies (like INX) have their own custom control panels I believe.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Temporarily Suspended

Ok thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Design Guru :)

The game server market is very iffy and over-saturated. The clients you are looking to go for would be young and a bit unstable in terms of loyalty. From what I have learned through providers and being a gamer myself, registration and latency are key.

You are going to want servers that perform and perform well, so going cheap is a bad idea. I suggest sticking with a particular section of the US, maybe not trying to sell to the East, Central, and West.

Next thing you need to figure out is the control panel for your servers. There are options for both Linux-based and Windows-based servers, so making your OS choice is definitely key.

So my suggestions in a nutshell:

1. Deciding your server location offerings and picking a datacenter.
2. Deciding your server hardware configurations and operating system needs.
3. Choose your game offerings and pricing.
4. Choose your billing system and support help desk.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Web Hosting Master

If you're considering going with Windows, look into TCADMIN for your control panel needs. They have a good product and offer quality support.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Temporarily Suspended

Thanks for your help guys.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Yeah TCadmin is amazing but it's not in linux. You should really really use linux. 10X better than Windows running a server. As for a linux control panel, use brainless.us.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Im curious Spartan where do you get this impression or information that Linux is 10x better than Windows for servers?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I believe he was exaggerating with "10x" but there is a noticeable difference between Windows and Linux/Unix in some games. With linux you can optimize the OS for game hosting down at the kernel level whereas with Windows you really can't. Not to mention the added benefits such as uptime, etc.

Last edited by HG-Daniel; 07-30-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Disabled

if it is for HL1 and HL2 Based gaming, there is a notable difference for professional players. However for general selling servers you should use windows with tcadmin, but be prepared to pay some dough.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Daniel, uptime has nothing to do with the OS, thats all about the network providers, and many other factors but not the OS.

@Tuffmuffins, there is going to be no noticable difference to a Player, as long as they are close to the server, are getting low pings, and 0 latency they will not know what the server OS is. Again another false pretense.

I gather that most of these opinions are coming from a general consensus, which is more often than not based on no fact at all, no true standardized testing, and is spread by people who know no better.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Disabled

actually there is a difference when you play pro and you require fast response. Believe it or not steve not everyone is playing for fun.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I can guaruntee you there is no difference between a linux server and a windows server from a "Pro Gamers" point of view. If you could show me some data to back up your views I would certainly retract my statement. But your view just makes no logical sense.

A gamers point of view whether he play for fun or is "Pro" is all about latency and ping as far as the server is concerned.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHSSteve View Post
Daniel, uptime has nothing to do with the OS, thats all about the network providers, and many other factors but not the OS.

@Tuffmuffins, there is going to be no noticable difference to a Player, as long as they are close to the server, are getting low pings, and 0 latency they will not know what the server OS is. Again another false pretense.

I gather that most of these opinions are coming from a general consensus, which is more often than not based on no fact at all, no true standardized testing, and is spread by people who know no better.
Actually uptime does have to do a lot with the OS. When you use Windows with game hosting you should restart the server at least once a month to keep performance up. That's not really the case with linux/unix variants -- you could have them online for months or even years without performance dropping.

Game servers like HLDS/SRCDS depend on the timekeeping of the OS to keep track of everything going on in game. Windows and Linux use different methods to manage this -- so yes, there is a difference between Windows and Linux/Unix. Gary Stanley from Velocity could probably explain it better than me.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

There are ways of getting around that Daniel. Its called a properly clustered environment. Think of it as RAID but for servers. A master server and a slave server, when the master goes down the slave takes over, and vice versa.

What is your experience with Windows and Linux based Game Servers? Maybe ask your host if they offer this?

If I were a "Pro" Gamer I would demand it.

And Velocity doesnt even offer Linux Game Servers, if there was such a performance difference dont you think they would atleast offer them? I know I would.

Last edited by SHSSteve; 07-30-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
SoftLayer Powers Global Expansion of DataHotel’s Japanese App Hosting Service Web Hosting News 2014-02-06 11:37:21
Square Enix to Create On-Demand Cloud Gaming Platform Web Hosting News 2013-11-06 10:00:55
SOE, UOL BoaCompra, Gamerica Partner to Bring Online Game PlanetSide 2 to Brazil Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:21:55
Most Online Gamers Experience Unplanned Server Outages During Play: LeaseWeb Study Web Hosting News 2013-05-01 15:16:03
What Online Game Hosting Customers Want Web Hosting News 2014-05-09 12:40:48