cpanel / whm help

Hey guys and gals,

I am in a bit of a pickle here and need some advise. so I was changing the port for ssh via SSH from 22 to something more secure. I updated the file, (by simply uncommenting the port command and changing the port number) then restarted SSH services via the whm control panel.

But when I restarted it now shows this error:

Attempting to restart sshd
    Waiting for sshd to restart.... . . . . . . . . . . finished.

Unknown HZ value! (382) Assume 100.
    sshd status

sshd has failed, please contact the sysadmin

Basically, the only way I know to get to the file that needs to be changed is via SSH but I am now locked out. I read some older posts on here and could not find anything on accessing these server files via FTP and secure FTP....only using SSH.

Its a damn newbie mistake I know, but now I am totally screwed. Any help or advise is appreciated!

Thanks

* Moved to Technical and Security Issues....

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

LOL.. well Duh.. forgot you don't have it already installed so you can't do the wget using CSE.
    Install this and edit the file.

http://www.configserver.com/cp/cse.html
    http://www.configserver.com/free/cse/INSTALL.txt

Is it possible to add a cron for the root user through cPanel?

I did this once on a Plesk server. Ended up writing a shell script to replace the sshd_config and restart SSH and made that a cronjob.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I am just about to look into the configserver.com program from NicAddress...... i'll let you guys know how things stand!

Hello,

I contacted Cpanel and they reset it for me thank god. haha, it was either that, or I pay the $100 bucks for that configserver.com software ...since I couldnt use ssh to install it.

Also, form my research, I could not find a way to create a cron the root. It seems only possible with sub accounts in Cpanel, not in WHM.

If anyone finds anything different, I'd love to know!

My real problem anyways is this:
    /bin/ls: unrecognized prefix: do
    /bin/ls: unparsable value for LS_COLORS environment variable

and from looking at the forums it looks bad..... any light anyone could shed on that would be great.

any time you modify ssh, you should always enable telnet and make sure it's running. This way if something screws up, you've got a backup way in the server. Of course, you'll need to have another user (not root) to access telnet itself.

It sounds like you need someone familliar with Linux to help you out here. You can find Linux documentation and manuals @ The Linux Documentation Project, or just google your questions and errors. They'll help you out.

If you're not familliar with the Linux OS, then you really, really need to be in touch with an administrative company so that they can do stuff like this for you.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Thanks for the advise. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of being in touch with an admin company since this was kind of thrown on my lap, so I am basically learning more and more everyday. Thanks for forums like this one, which help me a lot.