Thread: Which Memory?

Columbia, MD

Which Memory?

Does ECC memory module worth it or is it ok to use just regular unbuffered non-ECC memory chips?

I saw the most dedicated offers without ECC memory.

depends on motherboard, there are motherboards that only support ECC memory and low-end motherboards that do not support ECC buffered memory at all.... make sure you order the correct memory

I am in no way affiliated with the following plug:

Buy Kingston Ram! This is not an advertisment just a suggestion, just a quick note everyone might like to know:

Kingston has 2 majorly differnt types of ram, Their normal Kingston Ram, and Kingston Value Ram.

What makes kingston better than most is they press their chips with the first 10% of the ink, then make value ram with the other 90%.. Most companies use the majority of it on all the ram, which is why normal kingston ram has a 99.9% perfection rate......

Fun Fun

by the way, what motherboard you are using or planning to use?

Dual CPU motherboards require ECC ram
    Avi Brender
    Reliable Web Hosting by Elite Hosts, Inc
    CPANEL Reseller Hosting - Fantastico - Rvskins - ClientExec

Dual CPU system require the RAM to be registered as well (at least for DDR systems). I'm not 100% sure on whether it needs to be ECC for a dual CPU system, though.

Our real world experience doesn't show any major benefit to ECC unless you need 100% uptime, though I'm not sure if ECC would prevent a RAM failure related crash or not.

We've only had one RAM failure related crash in 4 years of doing hosting and more than 70 servers. We always use Micron RAM if we have a choice ( We're also very careful to avoid static discharge around our equipment and when installing upgrades.
    Andrew Kinney
    CTO, Advantagecom Networks