Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The original thread starter is asking for user opinions, not the host's opinions, or the upper vendors of that host
    Exactly - I was refferring to the end user - I am quite aware that Bob is from Global Compass - But like I said, he's never been hosted with serverhost, so how can he comment from the end user perspective

Enough said.

As someone else interested in their services I have been tracking the domain name for the last month or so through Netcraft - www.serverhost.com. I would like to ask what happened around the first of August as the stats have gone right down.

I realize this is not indicative of all their Servers, but, as it is the only Domain Name hosted by them that I have to go on, it's what I am working with. If there are others sites tracked by Netcraft it would be interesting to see the current results.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

We swapped IP addresses at about that time. Since then, we've been conducting some upgrades to our network. Those upgrades have been completed since then, and our network is stable.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Ashburn, VA, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, and Manchester, UK
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

Jeffrey, you aren't doing your company, your services very good here as the original thread starter is not looking for comments from the host themselves.

Address the host outside this thread.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

I was a client of Serverhost... that was until.......

- my server was hacked

- Jeff wasn't available to fix it

-"Bob"--the guy that answered the support number couldn't do anything and didn't know how to get a hold of Jeff

- I was accused of sabotaging my own server that had roughly 100-200 clients on it

-my bandwidth changed from actual to 95% when I cancelled. I had a $400 bandwidth bill that was charged to my credit card, it should have been much less.

Here is the cute little letter that Jeff sent me (12/29/01):

<<<<
    This is notification of violation of our Terms of Service policy. Termination of service requires 30 days notice, and you knowingly terminated service without this said notice. Knowingly sabotaging your own server in order to render it useless in order to try and get out of a large bandwidth bill is not something we take lightly. Please refrain from contacting any employee or contractor of Plusweb Communications, LLC or any of its subsidaries any further other than directly to our legal counsel.

Any further communication can be directed to our legal counsel:

Plusweb Communications, LLC
    ATTN: Attorney Fred W. Woods, Jr., esq.
    3620 Pelham Road, PMB 313
    Greenville, SC 29615-5044

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Kehe
    >>>>

Thinking back on my experience... I should have initiated a chargeback for the bandwidth and sued him for all the money lost...

That experience was when the server was hosted with DV2, and luckily the DV2 staff was kind enough to do reboots for me. That was until Jeff and DV2 "weren't on good terms" according to a DV2 operator. Obviously I'm certainly not going to be doing any business with Jeff or any of his "companies" in this lifetime. Whether I would recommend that you do so would depend entirely on how important the server is to you...

Jeff wasn't available to fix it
    Seems to be consistent..... always hard to get hold of in any kind of emergency.. usually a whole day will pass by before anything is done.... or even Jeff is found. .. lies are abundant.. never his or serverhosts fault.. so Jeff says... Jeff seems to be a one man band.... there's never anyone else around - Knox Kwimberl seemed like a good guy - very helpfull in their forums - but as you see PLUSWEB have been dropped by serverhost, so they don't even have good old Knox anymore. OMG

Dotcomsnz - probably best if u let people with recent experiences comment here - Dragon Networks took them over (they were Five Star Communications) so there are more people available now.

I DID have problems when I was with them (from August 2001 to urm March 2002) but a lot has happened since then (hence why I am not posting my experience because what was the case then probably ain't the case now).

James

Wildwayz...... why ?

I think people deserve to know the truth about someone they are about to invest money into - In my experience, they would better put that money elsewhere. period

Do you have an arguement against that?

Got nothing against experiences if they are from people who have servers or recently cancelled servers and a change in management/company profile hadn't occured.

You probably all know the stuff I went through with ServerHost - but since I left, this is the only time I have mentioned it.

But times change. Companies improve. What was bad then doesn't mean it is bad now, hence why it is more accurate to hear from recent (1-3 months) customers.

I've told Jeff that no bad feelings are between him and me and I would cetainly look at the possibility of a server from him if needed.

OK - imagine this...

ATI video cards use to be really bad in comparison to nVidia/3DFX but their recent Radeon 9700 blows the rest out of the water.
    Does that mean that because the previous cards were crap mean that you shouldn't get one of these babies?

James

Geez, Serverhost change partners all the time.... why?

Work it out for yourself... they provide bad service IMHO

Do a search and see what that brings.... Good luck to anyone currently with them You've probably got many rack and DC moves ahead of you

Wildwayz.... you in love with Jeff?

But times change
    No unfortunately they don't....... wish I had done more searching before signing up with them in the first place...... The same story is told over and over.......not to worry..... all has been fixed for some time for me.......... just wish everyone else luck who signs up with them.........

OK - imagine this...

ATI video cards use to be really bad in comparison to nVidia/3DFX but their recent Radeon 9700 blows the rest out of the water.
    Does that mean that because the previous cards were crap mean that you shouldn't get one of these babies?
    So when CPanel licenses all go off (Twice within 6 months) and Jeff is nowhere and you have to get your own license.... Is that acceptable? Excuseable? Have Jeff tell you he will turn your server off if you even think about charging back the cpanel fee that you paid but never got and had to get your own from another vendor? Get real and stop sticking up for them......

Why the heck did you make 4 posts when 1 would have done?

This isn't a slandering match between us - I am merely saying that going by experiences 6 months or so ago isn't entirely fair.

And they have never merged with anyone other than Dragon Networks. Plusweb/ServerHost/whaterver were the same company, same owner, same staff - but different products.

If you search back for posts from me about ServerHost/PlusWeb you will see I was _far_ from happy. But 6 months is a long time in this business so things are probably better now.

We'll never know what happened with DV2 and ServerHost - both sides state different accounts of what happened.

Originally posted by 0wned
    I think the topic says it all. I am wondering if any of serverhost's clients can give any input. I am considering adding one of their servers to our offerings, but need a very stable environment for our clients. I have read a few negatives (DC moves), but they all seem to be older news. How have things been as of late? Thanks for any input. It's greatly appreciated.
    As the orginal poster indicated, he wants to know how they have been of late... recently... not months ago, but now. So lets keep it on-topic.

James

Wildwayz, you never answered even 1 of my questions - No it's not a slandering match between us and I am sorry for you thinking that way..... Just look over what I have said and tell me I am being unfair and I'll stop

No hard feelings intended to Wildwayz

Is this unfair?

So when CPanel licenses all go off (Twice within 6 months) and Jeff is nowhere and you have to get your own license.... Is that acceptable? Excuseable? Have Jeff tell you he will turn your server off if you even think about charging back the cpanel fee that you paid but never got and had to get your own from another vendor? Get real and stop sticking up for them......
    Last edited by StevenG; 09-01-2002 at 09:20 AM.

I never replied to them because there was nothing to reply to

Wildwayz.... you in love with Jeff?
    Nope - was that needed?

No unfortunately they don't....... wish I had done more searching before signing up with them in the first place...... The same story is told over and over.......not to worry..... all has been fixed for some time for me.......... just wish everyone else luck who signs up with them.........
    When was you with them? From xxxxxx to xxxxx ?
    How long ago did you leave?
    I have never denied they had problems before - they did, hence why I left. But the poster wanted to know what they are like _now_.

Again, that was in the past. Last November it happened the 1st time, then about January/February (IIRC) it happened the 2nd time. Yes, it was one of the reasons why I left (as well as others).
    But that was back then not now.

James

Well if thats all you have to say then don't bother replying as I have more recent experience than you, you are providing hope that doesn't exist. or maybe doesn't exist..... yeah, it's 50/50 . to do or not to do...... say nothing and let people get caught themselves.... Great idea

Goodbye......

I have never denied they had problems before - they did, hence why I left. But the poster wanted to know what they are like _now_.
    Yeah but they need to know how many clients they stand to lose this year through no fault of their own too.......

Originally posted by Dotcomsnz
    Seems to be consistent..... always hard to get hold of in any kind of emergency.. usually a whole day will pass by before anything is done.... or even Jeff is found. .. lies are abundant.. never his or serverhosts fault.. so Jeff says... Jeff seems to be a one man band.... there's never anyone else around - Knox Kwimberl seemed like a good guy - very helpfull in their forums - but as you see PLUSWEB have been dropped by serverhost, so they don't even have good old Knox anymore. OMG

This is a lie. We have quite a number of employees dedicated to support now - and we're hiring more. Our response times are typically 15 minutes or less, but definately NOT a day. Knox was never an employee of ours, he's one of our valued customers who volunteered his help in our forums.

You're simply resorting to lying and bashing at this point, please stop. No one - not even potential customers - appreciate bashing and/or lying.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Ashburn, VA, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, and Manchester, UK
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

You've missed it time and time again, and must be walked through this to understand Jeffrey.

You are doing your service absolutely no good in clarifying anything within this thread.

Calling a user a liar after they have accused you or your service as having anything to do with lying is simply entering into a "He said, she said, or believe me!, No! beleive me! CAUSE! YEA!

Heed this, there are many people that suspect you to be underhanded in various ways, they have PM'd me, and or e-mailed me direct evidence.

This is true that they have done this, but it didn't convince me, but seeing your refuting and accusatory stance towards this user only hints on skeletons you may have hiding in your past concerning services you have been related to.

This is my last post in this thread as you have chosen the dark path luke.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Ehhh..

I had a box through Knox Wimberly of SmartWeb, and it was housed in serverhost's rackspace, I'm guessing. Anyways, hard-drive failed.. pulled out.. used old backup for primary until they got a new shipment in, they put the new one back in. Rebooted after it was mounted. Didn't come back up, it was down for a good 4-7 days. I posted on here. Because I couldn't get ahold of anybody at SmartWeb. No tickets were being answered. Knox's screen name was on but he wasn't answering, nor was he answering his cellphone. Nobody was picking up their emergancy number.

Jeffrey responded, and drove to the datacenter because nobody was there that he could have do it (kind of stupid if you ask me considering he was 3 hours away, but whatever..) He drove there, didn't get there till' 6AM. Fixed it. Problem solved promptly. Much apperciated after that much downtime.

I wasn't even a customer of his. He drove 3 hours at around 3AM. But needless to say, I got rid of that box.

I agree, he doesn't respond to emails sometimes and sometimes they take almost a week. But I'm sure if you use the general contact for serverhost and not his direct email. You might get a response faster?
    Jason

lying and bashing
    No Jeff, this isn't one of your DV2 threads

I do lie though, straight in bed on a night - How about you?
    I've said my piece - Time to add you to my ignore list now...

When looking at Serverhost you should consider what has happened in the past, it wouldn't be unheard of for it to happen again.

I also wanted to add this proof to my story. Below is the email where Jeff told me that I was switched to 95th percentile, but the email below that, where he uped my allotment, doesn't mention 95th percentile.

(12/28/01)

Brandon:

When you signed up, it was 50GB of transfer on a RaQ3. You opted to go to the RaQ4, and I said I would include 100GB for the same price, but that it would be at 95th percentile. That is the justification for the charges to your credit card.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Kehe

(5/24/01)

I'll up the price to no more than $149 per month, but I won't know for sure until I get the replacement machine in. I'll also provide you with 100GB of transfer in compensation for this mess.

Thanks, and once again, I apologize for this mess.

Jeffrey Kehe

Actually, Brandon - you are correct. He HAS upped bandwidth where he can. I went from 100gb 95% to something like 300gb 95% or 100gb actual.

James

Well, I got a reply from their support after about 1 hour on Sunday on a billing matter, so that wasn't bad at all. Hope it stays this way and they don't fall back into their old habbits as I'm loving the server I have with Jeffrey right now...
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast