Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Serverhost... recomended?

I think the topic says it all. I am wondering if any of serverhost's clients can give any input. I am considering adding one of their servers to our offerings, but need a very stable environment for our clients. I have read a few negatives (DC moves), but they all seem to be older news. How have things been as of late? Thanks for any input. It's greatly appreciated.

yes, im looking for current client comments.. please add them. I am looking to buy a few servers there also
    I have servers at: NetDepot/GNAX (A), SoftLayer (A), LiquidWeb (B+), DedicatedNow (B+), Nectartech (B) and more!

Same here i am also interested in some client comments, im looking to purchase some some servers with them aswell.

<<MOD NOTE: Oops, I accidentally removed the post above this one, sorry. Here it is...>>

Dotcomsnz wrote...
    I've used them.... moved my servers to NZ :-)

Can't say what they have been like for the past couple of months and quite frankly don't really care all that much

http://www.dotcoms.net.nz

When you did use them, how was your experience?
    Last edited by Chicken; 08-29-2002 at 09:48 AM.

My experience wasn't good and I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy, but who knows they may have improved - I am sure the search facility will provide more insight..... A leopard doesn't change it's spots or so they say

The post asks how have they been lately.. unfair to say more as it wouldn't be on topic

heh, your reply is enough to keep me away from them, thanks for the info.

Am i your worst enemy? =P

they are pretty good now i heard

Originally posted by hosthero
    they are pretty good now i heard
    'tis better to go on what one knows; than on what one's heard.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Serverhost hooked me on a special they posted here in the beginning of July, and I must say I don't regret getting one of their servers.

Support: Can't really comment on it as I've only had to contact them once to ask for the subnetmask to add additional IP's. This question was very promply and politly answered in under 5 minutes. For the rest I have had no need to contact support as I've had 100% uptime in the time I've been with them (though it's only about 1.5 months), both network as hardware wise.

Setup: The initial setup of the server was solid, as was the CPanel configuration. All was as it should have been. Only complaint I could utter is that it took them slightly longer to get the server online than I was originally told (something like 24 - 48 hours longer, but it was well worth the wait).

Billing: They use Ubersmith and send an invoice to you via email every month with a payment link for the next month's service. I'm not sure whether you can just set it up so it is automatically payed, you probably can, but I haven't bothered to look into this yet.

I'd say, give them a try. Seeing as there's no setup fee and no contract involved, what do you have to loose? My experience has been good upto now and I certainly don't intend on cancelling my server with them anytime soon.
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

* what ?

i got an email a couple weeks ago about serverhost joining something called dragon networks. i have no clue who they are, but they use quickbooks to run their company.... :/

anyway, thier uptime has been decent and i cannot complain about the price. however, support is nonexistant. if you call the various numbers (cause they seem to change a lot) you will get no one who can help you do anything.

i am pretty sure that jeff was the only guy doing anything over there. and i think his staff was basically the guys at his data center who just hit the reboot button. i do not know what dragon networks has added cause i do not really need anything from them other then uptime. also, i moved my other server away from them a few months ago !!

but hey .. this is just my 2 cents.
    Nathan M.
    Stormwire.com
    A decade of professional hosting !

I purchased a server from them last July and am very satisfied. The only trouble I had was losing connection to my server which was caused by problems with Cogent. I emailed the emergency reboot email adress and received a response immediately. A couple of the guys even emailed me back to make sure everything was ok. Any prospective customers are welcome to contact me via email for more information about ServerHost. The day I switched from RS to them was my best decision ever
    Signature SPAM

Re: what ?

Originally posted by nate
    i got an email a couple weeks ago about serverhost joining something called dragon networks. i have no clue who they are, but they use quickbooks to run their company.... :/

anyway, thier uptime has been decent and i cannot complain about the price. however, support is nonexistant. if you call the various numbers (cause they seem to change a lot) you will get no one who can help you do anything.

i am pretty sure that jeff was the only guy doing anything over there. and i think his staff was basically the guys at his data center who just hit the reboot button. i do not know what dragon networks has added cause i do not really need anything from them other then uptime. also, i moved my other server away from them a few months ago !!

but hey .. this is just my 2 cents.
    In our defense - a lot has changed here - we are a much larger company now with plenty of people to support and administer our network and servers. We're adding additional network connectivity and increasing network stability and reliability through the addition of upgraded Cisco routers and switches.

I don't think any phone numbers have changed lately - other than from the old office to the new office when the sale of Serverhost was completed. My cell phone number - which I'm fairly confident you have - has been the same for more than eight months.

I haven't seen one single support ticket from you in months - how can you say support is nonexistant when you haven't even used it? I've personally tried to call you multiple times to check in and see how things were going and you never called back - I don't understand how I haven't gone out of my way to make sure things were working out for you.

In any case, thanks for your continued business, and let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

Dragon and Serverhost

Server Host and Dragon networks utilize our IDC to run their business. They have a pretty large footprint spread out over 10 racks. In fact they take up an entire line-up. We run a BGP peering session with them as they have their own AS numbers and ARIN block assignments.

When we ( our IDC techs ) are asked to help them out, which is pretty seldom, we do so willing as their success is our success. But for the most part they have an experienced core of techs and handle most of their support themselves.

They have added remote power cycle capabilities and run have deployed a pretty robust Cisco platform consisting of redundant routers and redundant Layer 3 switch fabric. In fact they have made the investment it takes to insure maximum uptime within reason. There is no such thing as perfect technology. If they, or any facility, and we've got one of the best, had every redundant system possible the cost would be way prohibitive.

Additionally, they have been easy to work with as we are all a team anyway. I would highly recommend them to anyone as I would the other hosting companies currently installed in our facility. My experience is they all understand the competitive nature of this business and go out of their way, within reason, to provide as much support as they can.

We appreciate their business and have watched as they continue to grow and expand within the facility.

They are one of our most valued customers and for the most part run and operate completely independent of Global Compass.

Bob Gray
    Vice President Business Development
    Global Compass, Inc.
    [email protected]
    Desk: 770-928-6802
    http://www.globalcompass.com

I use to be a customer of ServerHost and yes, I did have problems and left but that was before they picked themselves up and turned themselves around.

Good luck for the future Jeff - hope you get back into the swings of things and strive forward

James

lol, what happened to this thread?
    Bannaz™ | Amazing HTML5 Banner Ad Designer!
    Leading designers in online advertising
    Need banners? Visit our Website

urm? /me slaps Leigh - what u mean?

James

errmm. How come all the newbies rush to the defence of serverhost?

I have never doubted the technology capabilities, it's service and in my experience and someone elses who posted on this thread here, that was less than good.

Why do you report my threads to mods Jeff?
    There's no malice here - Just telling it as experienced is all
    There are plenty more who had problems - we pm each other via the board and share info.

I sincerely hope that you guys have sorted out the problems - one of them was also non existent contact telephone numbers - that was raised in this thread by someone else also.

Oh and have you learned how to use Ubersmith yet?
    All the time I was with you guys you didn't have a clue how to work it and it was always incorrect.

Why did you delete all your forum posts?

They were there for a week or so when you went absent without leave so to speak - you know when you and darkorb had you little fallout.

Your site still claims to be associated with darkorb, that to my knowledge is untrue - you lost your host NOC status. or have you got that back now?

I just hate to see all your false claims and people being misled - I would also like to know why you change company names so often - That can't be good for business... or can it

Good luck

Am i your worst enemy? =P
    hehe, edude

To my knowledge, you are not my worst enemy

Bob Gray
    Vice President Business Development
    Global Compass, Inc.
    [email protected]
    Desk: 770-928-6802
    http://www.globalcompass.com

Additionally, they have been easy to work with as we are all a team anyway. I would highly recommend them to anyone as I would the other hosting companies currently installed in our facility. My experience is they all understand the competitive nature of this business and go out of their way, within reason, to provide as much support as they can

You've never been hosted by thern..... how can YOU recommend them?

*fishy*

Did you happen to be passing WHT an thought you'd post?
    Doubt that very much...

Steve, Globalcompass is the data center where ServerHost are

James

Re: Re: what ?

Originally posted by jkehe

I haven't seen one single support ticket from you in months - how can you say support is nonexistant when you haven't even used it? I've personally tried to call you multiple times to check in and see how things were going and you never called back - I don't understand how I haven't gone out of my way to make sure things were working out for you.
    there is a reason why i stopped calling & submitting tickets. the ones i did submit 'magically' disappeared. and when i called it would ring off the hook or i would get your cell phone is turned off message.

regardless, i try to handle everything with my team here because it is so much faster that way. i was tired of being disappointed ... what would you have done ???

hope the company does well now that you 'merged'.
    Nathan M.
    Stormwire.com
    A decade of professional hosting !

Originally posted by Dotcomsnz
    errmm. How come all the newbies rush to the defence of serverhost?

I have never doubted the technology capabilities, it's service and in my experience and someone elses who posted on this thread here, that was less than good.

Why do you report my threads to mods Jeff?
    There's no malice here - Just telling it as experienced is all
    There are plenty more who had problems - we pm each other via the board and share info.

I sincerely hope that you guys have sorted out the problems - one of them was also non existent contact telephone numbers - that was raised in this thread by someone else also.

Oh and have you learned how to use Ubersmith yet?
    All the time I was with you guys you didn't have a clue how to work it and it was always incorrect.

Why did you delete all your forum posts?

They were there for a week or so when you went absent without leave so to speak - you know when you and darkorb had you little fallout.

Your site still claims to be associated with darkorb, that to my knowledge is untrue - you lost your host NOC status. or have you got that back now?

I just hate to see all your false claims and people being misled - I would also like to know why you change company names so often - That can't be good for business... or can it

Good luck
    I hope the mods will back me up here in saying that I did not report anything to them - whatever they did was within their own power - I requested nothing to be done. What posts did I delete?

Serverhost has been our name since 1998 - what do you mean change names? Plusweb was dropped when Dragon took over - and almost every one of the major hosts on here has more than one name - I don't know why you're trying to call me out here.

You say you want to keep the thread on topic, and then you resort to pure bashing - I really don't understand. I hope you take a step back, and consider that we've invested a significant amount of capital in getting Serverhost running smoothly again. I think that shows that we have dedication to providing quality services and support to our customers.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

Originally posted by Dotcomsnz
    You've never been hosted by thern..... how can YOU recommend them?

*fishy*

Did you happen to be passing WHT an thought you'd post?
    Doubt that very much...
    He came here under his own power to post that, and I do appreciate his kind words. I haven't spoken to Bob Gray in a number of weeks, so I don't see how I could have coerced him to come post that message.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

The original thread starter is asking for user opinions, not the host's opinions, or the upper vendors of that host.

You're throwing the thread off topic and it should be obvious to the original thread starter what you're going to expect.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Well i can say that i have used server host in the past.. ( a few mnths ago) i had a RAQ 3 ( or4.. not sure ) On just Cognent.

I felt they had good service, and a fair price.. heck if i was in the market for another server with the current deal they are running i would grab it.

Plus they do check up on their customers occasionally.. i was only with them for 2 or 3 months due to a back-up i was doing.. but i was very happy with them.

The original thread starter is asking for user opinions, not the host's opinions, or the upper vendors of that host
    Exactly - I was refferring to the end user - I am quite aware that Bob is from Global Compass - But like I said, he's never been hosted with serverhost, so how can he comment from the end user perspective

Enough said.

As someone else interested in their services I have been tracking the domain name for the last month or so through Netcraft - www.serverhost.com. I would like to ask what happened around the first of August as the stats have gone right down.

I realize this is not indicative of all their Servers, but, as it is the only Domain Name hosted by them that I have to go on, it's what I am working with. If there are others sites tracked by Netcraft it would be interesting to see the current results.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

We swapped IP addresses at about that time. Since then, we've been conducting some upgrades to our network. Those upgrades have been completed since then, and our network is stable.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

Jeffrey, you aren't doing your company, your services very good here as the original thread starter is not looking for comments from the host themselves.

Address the host outside this thread.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

I was a client of Serverhost... that was until.......

- my server was hacked

- Jeff wasn't available to fix it

-"Bob"--the guy that answered the support number couldn't do anything and didn't know how to get a hold of Jeff

- I was accused of sabotaging my own server that had roughly 100-200 clients on it

-my bandwidth changed from actual to 95% when I cancelled. I had a $400 bandwidth bill that was charged to my credit card, it should have been much less.

Here is the cute little letter that Jeff sent me (12/29/01):

<<<<
    This is notification of violation of our Terms of Service policy. Termination of service requires 30 days notice, and you knowingly terminated service without this said notice. Knowingly sabotaging your own server in order to render it useless in order to try and get out of a large bandwidth bill is not something we take lightly. Please refrain from contacting any employee or contractor of Plusweb Communications, LLC or any of its subsidaries any further other than directly to our legal counsel.

Any further communication can be directed to our legal counsel:

Plusweb Communications, LLC
    ATTN: Attorney Fred W. Woods, Jr., esq.
    3620 Pelham Road, PMB 313
    Greenville, SC 29615-5044

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Kehe
    >>>>

Thinking back on my experience... I should have initiated a chargeback for the bandwidth and sued him for all the money lost...

That experience was when the server was hosted with DV2, and luckily the DV2 staff was kind enough to do reboots for me. That was until Jeff and DV2 "weren't on good terms" according to a DV2 operator. Obviously I'm certainly not going to be doing any business with Jeff or any of his "companies" in this lifetime. Whether I would recommend that you do so would depend entirely on how important the server is to you...

Jeff wasn't available to fix it
    Seems to be consistent..... always hard to get hold of in any kind of emergency.. usually a whole day will pass by before anything is done.... or even Jeff is found. .. lies are abundant.. never his or serverhosts fault.. so Jeff says... Jeff seems to be a one man band.... there's never anyone else around - Knox Kwimberl seemed like a good guy - very helpfull in their forums - but as you see PLUSWEB have been dropped by serverhost, so they don't even have good old Knox anymore. OMG

Dotcomsnz - probably best if u let people with recent experiences comment here - Dragon Networks took them over (they were Five Star Communications) so there are more people available now.

I DID have problems when I was with them (from August 2001 to urm March 2002) but a lot has happened since then (hence why I am not posting my experience because what was the case then probably ain't the case now).

James

Wildwayz...... why ?

I think people deserve to know the truth about someone they are about to invest money into - In my experience, they would better put that money elsewhere. period

Do you have an arguement against that?

Got nothing against experiences if they are from people who have servers or recently cancelled servers and a change in management/company profile hadn't occured.

You probably all know the stuff I went through with ServerHost - but since I left, this is the only time I have mentioned it.

But times change. Companies improve. What was bad then doesn't mean it is bad now, hence why it is more accurate to hear from recent (1-3 months) customers.

I've told Jeff that no bad feelings are between him and me and I would cetainly look at the possibility of a server from him if needed.

OK - imagine this...

ATI video cards use to be really bad in comparison to nVidia/3DFX but their recent Radeon 9700 blows the rest out of the water.
    Does that mean that because the previous cards were crap mean that you shouldn't get one of these babies?

James

Geez, Serverhost change partners all the time.... why?

Work it out for yourself... they provide bad service IMHO

Do a search and see what that brings.... Good luck to anyone currently with them You've probably got many rack and DC moves ahead of you

Wildwayz.... you in love with Jeff?

But times change
    No unfortunately they don't....... wish I had done more searching before signing up with them in the first place...... The same story is told over and over.......not to worry..... all has been fixed for some time for me.......... just wish everyone else luck who signs up with them.........

OK - imagine this...

ATI video cards use to be really bad in comparison to nVidia/3DFX but their recent Radeon 9700 blows the rest out of the water.
    Does that mean that because the previous cards were crap mean that you shouldn't get one of these babies?
    So when CPanel licenses all go off (Twice within 6 months) and Jeff is nowhere and you have to get your own license.... Is that acceptable? Excuseable? Have Jeff tell you he will turn your server off if you even think about charging back the cpanel fee that you paid but never got and had to get your own from another vendor? Get real and stop sticking up for them......

Why the heck did you make 4 posts when 1 would have done?

This isn't a slandering match between us - I am merely saying that going by experiences 6 months or so ago isn't entirely fair.

And they have never merged with anyone other than Dragon Networks. Plusweb/ServerHost/whaterver were the same company, same owner, same staff - but different products.

If you search back for posts from me about ServerHost/PlusWeb you will see I was _far_ from happy. But 6 months is a long time in this business so things are probably better now.

We'll never know what happened with DV2 and ServerHost - both sides state different accounts of what happened.

Originally posted by 0wned
    I think the topic says it all. I am wondering if any of serverhost's clients can give any input. I am considering adding one of their servers to our offerings, but need a very stable environment for our clients. I have read a few negatives (DC moves), but they all seem to be older news. How have things been as of late? Thanks for any input. It's greatly appreciated.
    As the orginal poster indicated, he wants to know how they have been of late... recently... not months ago, but now. So lets keep it on-topic.

James

Wildwayz, you never answered even 1 of my questions - No it's not a slandering match between us and I am sorry for you thinking that way..... Just look over what I have said and tell me I am being unfair and I'll stop

No hard feelings intended to Wildwayz

Is this unfair?

So when CPanel licenses all go off (Twice within 6 months) and Jeff is nowhere and you have to get your own license.... Is that acceptable? Excuseable? Have Jeff tell you he will turn your server off if you even think about charging back the cpanel fee that you paid but never got and had to get your own from another vendor? Get real and stop sticking up for them......
    Last edited by StevenG; 09-01-2002 at 09:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast