Does anyone admin without any type of Cpanel?

Since Cobalt's RaQ, Ensim/Plesk/CPanel have all taken big industry shares. I find it extremely funny when I go to a seemingly huge company's hosting site and see the plesk logo on the front of their site. I mean, these CPs are great, but doesn't anyone feel a little bit cheesy using them? I mean every place has the same CP...

Anyway, I'm wondering how many NON-DC-owning people admin / resell their server space without a CP. This should be interesting..

First off it would be hard to market your service without a good control panel these days. I know from experience most of the bigger hosts use their CP's as a time saving tool more then anything else.

There are some things you just cannot do from a control panel just yet. Like make changes to your httpd.conf file, I don't see any reason why that could not be added though.

I personally don't see how anything that is meant to be used as convenience can be called Cheesy. Is an Automatic transmission Cheesy? Why use any kind of OS GUI? Is Windows, Xwindows and a MAC Cheesy? Well maybe windows before 2K

I maintain a server which hosts a couple websites, and it doesn't have a control panel.

Originally posted by sitekeeper
    I personally don't see how anything that is meant to be used as convenience can be called Cheesy. Is an Automatic transmission Cheesy? Why use any kind of OS GUI? Is Windows, Xwindows and a MAC Cheesy? Well maybe windows before 2K
    Yes. No idea. Yes.

well as far as I know, many adult hosting companies do not offer control panel due to security...

Well,

I manage a FreeBSD server that has 60 sites and some 200 mailboxes and I dont use a control panel. [just qmailadmin and phpmyadmin].

I give all features that any Unix host gives and I am into my 204th day of reboot free 100% uptime

When I was a reseller of a CPanel host I used to get 2-3 service calls a day with less clients. Now I get less than 1 request in 2 weeks or so.

Control Panels were created with the intention of automating routine tasks and had they stuck with one version that does some jobs well and not add so many features for the sake of features they would have been productivity improvement tools.

The rate at which features are growing in every CP, they create more problems than they solve is my opinion!

Cheers
    Balaji
    Offering Managed Servers - for an exclusive clientèle who value uptime, caring support and superior technology.

depends on client base..

if your clients are php programmers and perl monks, they don't need it.

but fi they're starting out newbies, its better they use a cp than have you setup everything for them..

Originally posted by sitekeeper
    Is an Automatic transmission Cheesy? Why use any kind of OS GUI? Is Windows, Xwindows and a MAC Cheesy? Well maybe windows before 2K
    Originally posted by arjun
    Yes. No idea. Yes.
    I second arjun on those answers. Though I'd take Windows 2000 for my desktop OS over any other, it's much more stable & practical for me than any other OS I've tried.