Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by hostpc.com
    I just don't understand how anyone can STILL have a site, or be loyal to cyberwings.com.

After a month and a half of NO service, lies, poor service, no refunds - people chose to stay with the company?

I felt REALLY bad for the customers that got screwed when they just flipped the switch at LS and RS - I thought most of them, if not all of them, had finally left. Guess not.
    I find it amazing too. I'm in absolute freak mode if one of my servers is down for more than 15 minutes at any one point. I cannot imagine anyone stomaching being down that long. Its amazing, and unfortunate.

I hope I don't have to read another sad story like this for a while. Hell, stories like this are the reason I stopped reading ****edCompany.com regularly. Its too damn depressing. At first its funny, then you realize that someone you know works at one of the companies, then it isn't that funny anymore.

Take care,

Brian
    :: 1StopWebHosting.com :: - Professional Web Hosting Services
    ::
    :: Featuring the CPanel Control Panel running on CENTOS Linux servers
    :: We offer Shared Web Hosting, Business Hosting, Java / J2EE Servers and Dedicated Server solutions.

I paid Cyberwings just under $8.00 in March and got three and a half months of rock solid hosting. I got excellent service from them the few times I had a problem or a question. Sure, there was no toll free number and it might take a few hours to a day to get a response but sh*t I paid EIGHT DOLLARS, what do you want? I still feel that I got good service for my money, and I got three and a half months of hosting at $2.27 per month. not too bad really. I applied for a refund yesterday so we'll see if I get anything back. I doubt it but what the heck?

Now, I admit that I was not trying to run a business off my site, nor did I depend upon it for anything else but as a hobby. I decided to set up the site mostly BECAUSE it was so cheap. I had fun doing it, my site was cheezy as hell and will be again soon.

Shawn over extended himself. I am sorry to disagree with those who feel victimized but businesses do this every day. He offered services that he could and did deliver for a time. I will put aside for the moment those whose money he took and never set up ANY site, I believe that is a different issue. These are the first people who should receive a refund. I do not believe that Cyberwings was a scam. Yes, it was a poorly run business but not a scam. One of the primary principles of entrepreneurship is that most new businesses fail. In a low margin business like economy web-hosting there is not much room for error. His business model did not work. ok.

I have been through a few failed businesses and a couple of bankruptcies (companies for whom I worked not personal). It is hard to know when to quit, there is STILL some money coming in and it is easy to ignore the fact the more is going out, your dept is increasing. Finally, something happens, you get your electricity cut off or someone ceases some vital assets (often much more valuable than your outstanding debt.) and you cannot fulfill your commitments. So now the sharks start circling, ripping in to you and your business. I will take Shawn's work that he and his employees received a great deal of abuse and several threats. We have all seen the viciousness of posts about him here (on this site) and on other sites. I assure you this does not make it easier to get up in the morning and work another 18-hour day to try and salvage something so you can at least pay part of your debts. Nor does it make one inclined to be honest, and straightforward and admit failure. Those are frightening things.

Flame me if you wish, though I would prefer reasoned discussion, but before you tear into Cyberwings and Shawn again, ask yourself if you have ever failed at anything. have you ever not done something you said you would, ever not complete each and every task anyone who was paying you gave you to their absolute satisfaction? Have you ever had anything break down and not had the money to fix it? Have you ever disappointed anyone? I know I have.

Finally, I am NOT excusing Shawn for lying or taking money for accounts he KNEW he could not deliver. I am not making excuses for his poor treatment of his employees or his customers. What I AM saying is let's have a little compassion. He HAS tried to pay some people back; the refunds were rolling for a while but with no new income that's hard to keep up. I have tried to be rational and adult about it, as have most of us. The short of it is his business failed (ok his "project.") Let's see if we can't give him room to salvage what he can. Perhaps we may see some return on our patience and consideration, even if it is only lowered blood pressure from just walking away a bit wiser.

My eight bucks worth...

Charles
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

*clap...... clap....... clap......*

Something tells me shawn may still be back with a new company name and setup. May be this time he does the right thing

Let's hope he moves on to selling get rich quick schemes and diet solutions. Oh.

Seriously, let's hope he's never allowed to prey on people again.

Lets Hope

Talking

Originally posted by inogenius

Not always, but usually. Look at Jaguar, you pay a lot for their cars, but they're one of the most un-reliable cars around. However if you look at the Honda Civic for example, it's a faily cheap car and it's good. Reliable, get's good gas mileage. Of course this is a webhosting forum, so I'm not really sure why I just rambled on about cars and stuff.
    I'm not a believer in "you get what you pay for" because often you pay a good price and still get the shaft. You can pay a decent price and get crappy hosting.

BUT I DO believe in "you don't get what you don't pay for." If you don't pay the price for a good service, you won't get a good service. If you pay a low price, you will hardly ever get good hosting!

Cheers,
    BD

Originally posted by ChickenFart

I used to do support for a hosting company... and my supervisor always said "They want champagne, but they're paying for beer"
    Ooops, missed this great quote on my first reading. This is definitely worth a bump!

Next time you see your former supervisor, buy him a beer!

BD

Originally posted by charlesh
    I paid Cyberwings just under $8.00 in March and got three and a half months of rock solid hosting. I got excellent service from them the few times I had a problem or a question. Sure, there was no toll free number and it might take a few hours to a day to get a response but sh*t I paid EIGHT DOLLARS, what do you want? I still feel that I got good service for my money, and I got three and a half months of hosting at $2.27 per month. not too bad really. I applied for a refund yesterday so we'll see if I get anything back. I doubt it but what the heck?

Now, I admit that I was not trying to run a business off my site, nor did I depend upon it for anything else but as a hobby. I decided to set up the site mostly BECAUSE it was so cheap. I had fun doing it, my site was cheezy as hell and will be again soon.

Shawn over extended himself. I am sorry to disagree with those who feel victimized but businesses do this every day. He offered services that he could and did deliver for a time. I will put aside for the moment those whose money he took and never set up ANY site, I believe that is a different issue. These are the first people who should receive a refund. I do not believe that Cyberwings was a scam. Yes, it was a poorly run business but not a scam. One of the primary principles of entrepreneurship is that most new businesses fail. In a low margin business like economy web-hosting there is not much room for error. His business model did not work. ok.

Finally, I am NOT excusing Shawn for lying or taking money for accounts he KNEW he could not deliver. I am not making excuses for his poor treatment of his employees or his customers. What I AM saying is let's have a little compassion. He HAS tried to pay some people back; the refunds were rolling for a while but with no new income that's hard to keep up. I have tried to be rational and adult about it, as have most of us. The short of it is his business failed (ok his "project.") Let's see if we can't give him room to salvage what he can. Perhaps we may see some return on our patience and consideration, even if it is only lowered blood pressure from just walking away a bit wiser.

My eight bucks worth...

Charles
    I snipped a couple of paragraphs above for length and relevance to my point...

You and I share some ideas on this subject - it was cheap, so I jumped on too (I only paid 4 bucks). I didn't have much interest in putting up a site - I don't have much to say. It was merely a vehicle for me to practice some things that I haven't used (and still haven't, due to having a newborn at home). Now if Cyberwings fails I can understand it - it looked like a bad business model. That and the fact that businesses fail all the time makes me a reasonable person about it. The low price makes it easier on me as well - being currently unemployed, I just couldn't afford much more than what I paid (I'm reminded that I'm down to the last can of formula - time to go to the store).

But then you hit right on the crux of the matter - Shawn lied constantly, and mistreated his customers. He had many chances to salvage this - people offered to send him money if it would have helped (this is a strange sight to me - once a price is paid, it should be honored. But people begged to send in more money)! The amount of goodwill he burned through is astounding - I couldn't even imagine treating people the way that he did and have them coming back for more. And not just those that are cheap for wahtever reason, but people that begged to get abused. I truly think Shawn missed his calling - he could be a televangelist easily and be a rich man many times over. If he had just folded the tents and circled the wagons, he would have gotten off better than what he eventually will. But he chose to keep people sitting in chat rooms for hours at a time instead of ust being straight with anyone. Heck, he might have actually gotten away with a good chunk of his customers if he had. Some of the most vocal of them were also some of his biggest supporters, unitl he personally turned each and every one of them against him. And that is truly the part that people should be angry about.

Now I have to admit that I've probably gotten more than the true worth of my money - my site is currently up, however long it may last. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to walk away from my refund if I don't get a year out of it. He offered the price, I too it, so he should honor it or fold. And if he does fold (sure looks that way), I'm going to request my money back (knowing that chances are slim to none that I'll ever see it again). It's a matter of principle. I do also understand those that got taken for some real money (every one didn't sign up for a cheap account) being extremely angry to some of the extremes that they have gone to. As far as I'm concerned, Shawn has used up all of the compassion that he should get, and some other peoples as well. He burned his suppliers, his customers, and his staff (and by some accounts, even some of his friends), so I cannot offer him any more compassion. I may not be at the forefront of the pack, but I support their indignation.

I worked for Cyberwings for about 2 months, and saw things from the inside unfortunatly. The other guys were good, worked hard etc. but it was always Shawn we were waiting for, to put a new server online, to get a new Plesk key thingy, to contact the company, to pay us (which happened once)....

At that point, I knew it was pure dodgy, especially as there was no customer database recording who bought what and how much they paid. I even tried to write one, for nothing, as I had pity on the customers who didnt realise what would happen in a years time.

But thats another story for another website

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12