Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Boom! There goes Cyberwings ....

It's coming to an end. Employees are being let go and people are being warned to get their data off the servers.

Jan's Resignation

Important Points:

I spoke with Shawn by telephone the evening of August 27. I expressed my concerned to Shawn about CW1 still not being up (it had been the better part of a day by then). I indicated that many customers were affected by it's downtime and that I had some mail I wanted to access. After discussing CW1 some more, he suggested that I be sure I have backups of anything I needed from CW1. I would recommend everyone do the same.
    and

Cyberwings will continue in some capacity, he did say that it may be a while before it happens and therefore he has no need for employees or the payroll they generate at this time.
    It's over.

hmm ..interesting shows the inside story..How did you find this by the way?

Its goood that its over but customers should atleast get their refunds

Oh the drama!

Another Cyberwings staff member posted it.

Customers are SOL.

Yes, it is dramatic Oki. Shawn still owes over $10,000 and still has "customers" on the server. He hasn't communicated and the server was down for 35 hours.

Originally posted by OKIHost
    Oh the drama!
    *gets popcorn*
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Shawn still owes over $10,000
    Excuse i am out here...haven't u sued him or its a long story...?

To my knowledge no one has sued him.

Many complaints filed with consumer groups and attorney generals.

It's just amazing that the guy is going to finally call it quits. Amazing.

Apparently it all hit the fan when this was posted: http://www.cyberwingsowesmemoney.com/cwmemo.html

Its on F'dcompanies internalmemos site as well, but you have to pay to get in.

Originally posted by pgrote
    Shawn still owes over $10,000
    what you paid? or why he owe you that?
    www.rackfive.com
    Aquired by Data Provider LLC.

Rack,

It's the combination of people he has taken money from and not provided services.

He used to run sales, take money and then take months to set up the accounts if ever:

Yepo CW Refunds Database

Totally expected of the end of the CW story! My $20 tuition on this lesson. sigh!

He jsut might be back with a new name and system may be some time from now...not sure but anything can happen...

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

*gets popcorn*
    Can you share some? I have no money!
    If you ever need help, e-mail me!
    Remember: "You get what you pay for."
    AOL Instant Messenger Handle: thejokerwht

I just don't understand how anyone can STILL have a site, or be loyal to cyberwings.com.

After a month and a half of NO service, lies, poor service, no refunds - people chose to stay with the company?

I felt REALLY bad for the customers that got screwed when they just flipped the switch at LS and RS - I thought most of them, if not all of them, had finally left. Guess not.

Before everyone gets on a "you get what you pay for" kick, please dont. It's not the cost of the service - it's how you are treated. I have a low cost service, but I like to think I give high levels of service to my customers, above and beyond the couple dollars a month that I charge. Several companies, HostPC, DixieSys and others, offer quality services for inconsequential amounts of money monthly. Does that mean we won't be around tomorrow ? I don't think so. I plan on being in this for the long haul!
    http://www.hostpc.com
    DirectAdmin servers for hosting, resellers and your dedicated needs.
    Hosting, Resellers, Dedicated Managed and Unmanaged servers
    Hosting since 11/98 - Specializing in DirectAdmin since 8/03

Well shawn admits it himself that it was the expenses that brought him down....

Yes i totally agree that---- its how you are treated---

No one wants to be treated badly no matter what we PAY FOR? Its not the ppl who were convincing shawn to sell too low but shawn's own failure ideas...

Originally posted by hostpc.com
    Before everyone gets on a "you get what you pay for" kick, please dont. It's not the cost of the service - it's how you are treated. I have a low cost service, but I like to think I give high levels of service to my customers, above and beyond the couple dollars a month that I charge. Several companies, HostPC, DixieSys and others, offer quality services for inconsequential amounts of money monthly. Does that mean we won't be around tomorrow ? I don't think so. I plan on being in this for the long haul! [/B]
    I respectfully disagree. You do "get what you pay for", and this is a perfect example. If a hosting company offers such cheap plans that it leaves no room for real profit, both overselling resources and underselling support time - it's only a matter of time before customers use more resources then the host can pay for, and require more support than the host can provide. Regardless of how the host "Wants" to treat people, they will no longer have the capacity to do so.

What amazes me is that people continue to select the cheapest providers even after suffering the same experience time and time again.

Hitspot,

Some people don't care if the host goes down. If you have a personal site and ca get hosting for $3.90 a year then you do it. When it goes down you move on.

What makes this case so scandalous is that it appears Shawn took the money from people and didn't provide services in a majority of the cases.

He went from running one sale to another. Distorting the truth and not being honest.

You do "get what you pay for", and this is a perfect example.
    Not always, but usually. Look at Jaguar, you pay a lot for their cars, but they're one of the most un-reliable cars around. However if you look at the Honda Civic for example, it's a faily cheap car and it's good. Reliable, get's good gas mileage. Of course this is a webhosting forum, so I'm not really sure why I just rambled on about cars and stuff.

pgrote,
    "What makes this case so scandalous is that it appears Shawn took the money from people and didn't provide services in a majority of the cases."
    While I agree it is wrong what shawn did.. everyone who purchases from these companies and demands service for so little is equaly responsible. Web hosting is a real "service", and if your paying only $3.90/year then you did not "pay" for a service. Therefore, you should not expect one.

Sure, you can also pay an extremly high price and still have the company not provide quality service. However, what I am saying is that when you purchase the cheapest, it's not a matter of the companies "attitude" that sets them up for failure.. it's pure poor business planning. A true hosting service can not withstand over time at $1-2/month or $20/year, it just doesn't leave any room for profits. Therefore, anyone who plays with the fire will get burned.. and should expect to.

Originally posted by hitspot

While I agree it is wrong what shawn did.. everyone who purchases from these companies and demands service for so little is equaly responsible. Web hosting is a real "service", and if your paying only $3.90/year then you did not "pay" for a service. Therefore, you should not expect one.
    Actually, if someone is offering it, then you should expect it (but at that price you shouldn't cry that loudly when it fails). Now those in the know will tell you that this wasn't a price that would sustain a business, but there are many who don't know that. After all, there are free web hosts out there, so people would automatically assume that there should be some cheap ones as well. So if Shawn burns everyone, you can't really blame them. Many of his customers simply did not know what it took to support a web hosting company. They just simply thought they had a good deal and jumped on.

And what of those people that paid real money? Everyone didn't get a multi-gigabyte reseller account for a dollar. Were they stupid? For some people things worked fine right up until the RS servers got turned off. So who could blame them for sticking around. There were many of them who didn't even know there was a problem until those servers went down. Too many people seem to want to blame the victims - they simply were offered a price and took it. While I still agree that many people who should have known better swallowed a lot of crap, I still can't place the blame on anyone but Shawn. He created this mess, and he fostered it instead of just getting it fixed before it got way out of hand. Heck, he'd have been better off folding earlier instead of keeping everyone hanging on. Oh well, someone will catch up with him soon enough, and then he'll really find out what running a business is like, since it appears that he is personally liable for a great deal of money.

I'm sure he will find out...and soon. I'm in the process of filing a 50 page fraud complaint with the Attorney General. They've requested a list of paperwork. It's finally compiled, and will be in the mail on Saturday.

I don't really give a crap about my 14 bucks. As soon as his server was down for 2 days, I moved on to a better host... I just want to make sure this jerk doesn't continue to take people's money and provide them with nothing. Cheap host, expensive host, no host... the man took money from people, provided them with nothing, and did not pay them back... Whether he sold them a stick of gum, a piece of poop, or a hosting plan, he didn't provide them the service he promised, and he should return the money. If he doesn't have it, he should file bankruptcy. Either way, he is personally responsible.

.....for that price you should only expect......
    But thats great talking about a person who knows a bit about hosting. That type of customer got what the expected if they purchased from CW.

But there are other customers
    I personaly had only hosted my sites at aol and geocities etc. For my hobby, family and scouts. I was/am a newbie

Then looking around e-bay I saw an ad that offered something cool. my own domain and space for a year for under 15 bucks. I got it. did I know anything about Band width costs etc. No !

Was I the perfect target for shawn J...yes!

It was fun while it lasted. I learned alot. Did I get what I deserved.....NO FREAKING WAY... I was new to the industry and a bit ignorant. Did I know of this board? No ..Blah blah blah.

I researched and found a new host. www.dixiesys.com

If I paid with 2CheckOut for some zaps in June, I should be able to get a refund, since I've gotten no service since then, right? I've heard that people through 2checkout haven't had as much problems as people with PayPal. So, I'm sorry for those who paid with PayPal.

BTW, I've finally realized that concept that you get what you pay for. My site was starting small, but has been growing ever since. I'm glad I've turned to these forums to seek better information about the hosting industry about which are good, and which are bad. At least now, I've moved on to another host, which has made me really happy.

May we all get our refunds...
    Bryan Villarin
    All Narfed Up

I used to do support for a hosting company... and my supervisor always said "They want champagne, but they're paying for beer"

ChickenFart,

Yep and that's what people will always expect. It's the hosting company's job to ensure that their support policies meet their pricing criteria.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast