A site I did for someone

here is a website that i did for someone... wondering if you guys could give me a little advice on the button locations on the main page. i know the flags look like CRAP and everything else... that's what the guy wanted, that's what he gets.

http://www.davidshomeimprovementsinc.com

Thanks,
    ResIstor

The first thing I noticed it the text is not very good, not very clear. Some graphic programs do text a lot better then others. Also maybe try using black text for the roll-over instead of bold white for the buttons.

I would loose the textured look and stay with a solid button. That way the buttons don't clash against the background and will be easier to read too.

I also suggest that you group all of the buttons together. Not have it all over the place like it is now. Since you have a lot of buttons it wouldn't look right on top so I would say group them down the left.

i know the flags look like CRAP and everything else... that's what the guy wanted, that's what he gets.
    I know the fustrations of working with clients. Did you consult with the client on how things would look or just did what he/she said. What you should do so the client can compare is show the current version a long with a second version. On the second version I would create a site that looks professional and looks as if it was built in the 21st century. Loose the graphic/image BG and go with a solid color. Not being disrespectful, but get rid of the flag. Get rid of all the graphics and design your own. Seems like you took all of the graphics from a free site. The site seems so geocities/tripod like.

BTW, most of those sites don't allow use of graphics for commercial sites.

not something i would use, but if the customers happy thats the only important thing..

thats one long domain name heh

well this looks a lot better from what he wanted it to look like at first. and i think the wood background goes with what he does. the buttons are made with a program called 1coolbuttontool that uses java or flash (those buttons are flash since it was faster and better looking then the java buttons). on the main page do you think i should put the main buttons. home, services, licenses, etc. on the left like all of the other pages? and put all the buttons for pictures on the right? wouldn't it be a little lopsided? that's why i have a problem with the locations of the buttons. or do you guys think i should add another button onto the main buttons and make it a drop down menu for all the other links to pictures?

also the pics were from http://www.animationfactory.com/ not from geocities. and it's not hosted on geocities either. eww geocites sucks worse than this site ever could!

Licenses needs only one s at the end, and some proofreading/polish may be in order. I realize this is home improvement, but I think it sends a subconcious comforting effect to potential customers when the company takes the time to run spell check and get someone to copy edit.

Tell your client that the flags do not look good.
    You have worked hard on buttons they look good. I think you should increase the size of the hut and place all the buttons either on right or left.

Originally posted by peteny
    but if the customers happy thats the only important thing..
    Who's the designer?

Sorry, had to say that.

You're doing the design. Design it. You've got a gallery there, tell me its a gallery. Don't use an iframe in a frame, too many scrollbars. Rather than linking to all the parts of your gallery at once, just have a "Gallary" link. Make a hierarchy: Gallery=>types of pics=>the pics

Just dump the frames totally.

Make some thumbnails, an link in with them.

I see you have a text link menu at the bottom, but I still don't like the flash. Dump it. Please. Integrate the header, make a logo, add some pics from the gallery to th header, make it darker than the body, use the wood texture somewhere int he header, but keep the page background a solid colour. Easier to read, and loads faster. And, as punaboy says, the background and general feel of the site is like one at geocities/tripod. Clean it up. Use white space. Dump the frames and flash. The search engines will love you for it.

Lastly, the flags look bad floating there: so don't just delete them, integrate them. make them look like part of the site.

The hut.... ...... ..... .... .. . ... ... . .. .

Here's what I would do: remove the splash screen. Delete.

Take the text out of the hut, and use it as a logo. Don't tell me you can read it past the splash page??

Clean it up generally. Remove the spikey thing. Pictures in the menu, not flash. Add a gallery button. Smile.

hth,
    Douglas

Not bad for what you are doing

You also may want to check animation factory's terms of use, if you haven't already:
    http://www.animfactory.com/sales/faq.html#Use%20Terms

Overall I think you did a great job. However I would loose the flags.
    Shane Reisner
    FastServers.net
    1-866-753-FAST ext. 104
    [email protected]

http://www.animfactory.com/sales/use.htm
    Terms of Use for our FREE images:
    (terms for paid customers - see below)
    Visitors to Animation Factory may use our collection of free images only for their personal projects, such as personal websites and emails. In no way may our free content be used in commercial and professional projects, web sites, presentations, or emails without first purchasing a license from Animation Factory.

By using these images, you agree to place full credit and a link to Animation Factory when an image or design of ours is publicly displayed, such as on a web site. Click here for information on credits and linking to us.
    Later,
    Douglas

Stick in some photo. It will definately make the page more alive. Perhaps a picture of some toolman fixing the house?

I don't know. It just looks to fisher price.

Originally posted by Neo3Net
    I don't know. It just looks to fisher price.
    ahaha that's great.

It's very basic, and could possibly be reproduced very quickly, you could sell it as a template! har
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Count the clicks?