Freebsd or Redhat Linix on Dell PowerEdge 1650

I never installed either OS onto the machines. I normally hire consultants to do all the work for me. Since dell has delivered a server to my home I would like to install and configure everything myself.

What OS should I install onto and and please give explicit instructions. Do I hookup a labtop to the server? And how? Anyone want to guide me through this?

What will the function of the server?

I use redhat, however after seeing some posts here and doing some research, it seams that FreeBSD is more stable for the hosting biz... ive never used freebsd in production tho, we are trying (slowly) to port our CP to freebsd before we can host with it (we have no time for all this - hopefully i we will setup a freebsd server soon to see how well it stands compared to redhat.
    Avi B

FreeBSD all the way. You can load it up and it won't let you down if you know how to properly configure it and your hardware can handle it.

In our experience, RedHat can hang with the best of them for high traffic single site servers. If you want to put hundreds (or thousands) of domains on a single box, you'll be happier with FreeBSD.

But, you have to weigh your software needs. ColdFusion for FreeBSD doesn't exist and Microsoft style ASP is nearly non-existent for FreeBSD. If PHP and Perl are your standard languages, then FreeBSD is a great choice.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney
    CTO, Advantagecom Networks
    http://www.SimplyWebHosting.com

Lightbulb RedHat 7.3 ...

I'd recommend a RedHat 7.3 installation if you're using the PERC RAID card -- the 'stock' driver with RedHat 7.3 works out of the box like a CHARM. (I've got a dual 1650 myself -- and it kicks BUTT with RedHat 7.3).

FYI -- you can install earlier versions of RedHat, but it's a pain to try to get a custom kernel installed with the driver you need (especially if you're in a RAID configuration that uses all available drives!).

Dan
    Dan Esparza
    CagedTornado web services

I'd recommend a RedHat 7.3 installation if you're using the PERC RAID card -- the 'stock' driver with RedHat 7.3 works out of the box like a CHARM. (I've got a dual 1650 myself -- and it kicks BUTT with RedHat 7.3).
    Yeah, software Raid works just fine too

I wouldn't recommend FreeBSD to you if you're completely new to this OS. Have you ever worked with it?

We've had Redhat boxes push quite a lot of CGI and PHP-heavy traffic without any problems, whereas we had a few servers running older versions of FreeBSD (4.1 and 4.4) which crashed a lot. It was an OS error and has been fixed by upgrading to the latest version, but still I think that FreeBSD isn't that much better than Linux at all. In fact, I believe that Linux has made it to being better than FreeBSD as of yet because of their superior SMP and threading support. There haven't been any stability issues that many claim to have with Redhat with us. All our Redhat servers have been running like a charm with quite a load.

To sum it up, I'd go with Redhat if you're new to FreeBSD and also if the server has 2 CPUs. If you plan to use MySQL on that machine you should also go with Redhat because FreeBSD doesn't handle threading that well at all which is required by MySQL to work properly though.

In fact, you can't go wrong with Redhat 7.3
    321Host-It Internet Services
    http://www.321host-it.com

I'd go with Red Hat as it's an o/s Dell actually recommend for their servers.
    dBforums.com - Database design, development and administration.

What version of redhat would you use as a server? I think the pro version cost quite a bit of money.

Red Hat Linux Advanced Server $799.00 x86

Red Hat Linux Advanced Server
    V2.1 - Standard Edition $1499.00 x86

Red Hat Linux Advanced Server
    V2.1 - Premium Edition $2499.00 x86

Red Hat Linux 7.3 Professional $199.95 x86

Red Hat Linux 7.3 Personal $59.95 x86

Get the cheapest one...

I mean you still get a fully functional OS, why pay more?
    Signature.

or you could just get it free here: http://www.redhat.com/download/howto_download.html

Burn it to a cd and you're ready to go...
    Signature.

I am using it as a webserver. Do they all perform the same? Does the personal version have performance limits?

No, just use the cheapest one. It's completely the same OS as their Advanced Server package which just comes with their own advanced webservers et al.
    For your needs, the ISO files will also work just fine, but if you feel like supporting them buy their personal version at $59.95 which will get you their manuals etc as well.
    321Host-It Internet Services
    http://www.321host-it.com

By all means, if you doing RedHat, just download it for free. Grab an ISO image and burn it to a CD. That's what we do here for most versions of RedHat.

You can even buy support and software update subscriptions with notifications (directly tied to RedHat's errata system) for the version you download.

The only time we ever buy the box version of RedHat is when we want a new printed manual. They're kind of handy to have around, but they don't change a whole lot from version to version.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney
    CTO, Advantagecom Networks
    http://www.SimplyWebHosting.com