Having servers in different countries

Hi,

I am setting up a hosted application service (like hosted website statistics software) and although I will start with a fast shared account, I hope to need a dedicated server soon.
    I will start in my own country, but it may be possible that I will offer this service the US based websites too. But although I can have a low ping in my own country, it will be high if I host from the same server to the US.
    There are two solutions for this: One of course is to rent a server in a datacenter and host it from there, so I will have two seperate systems. The other option, of which I don't know if it is possible, is to setup up a system which can see where the customer is coming from and then decides which server to route it to. This way I can have one worldwide system, which is of course prefered because of administration.
    My question is, is this possible? And if so, ifn what price range do I need to think for this (not counting the servers).
    And are there any other solutions to solve this? If so, please explain how and how much it will cost.

Thank you very much in advance!

Jacco

Here is a real solution.
    It may be expensive, but here is the akamai model.

you need 20 servers

1 global load balancer
    5 regional load balancers

put your servers in different places, use a good replication program to move your data around...

and you've got yourself a fast application.

Originally posted by anantatman
    Here is a real solution.
    It may be expensive, but here is the akamai model.

you need 20 servers

1 global load balancer
    5 regional load balancers

put your servers in different places, use a good replication program to move your data around...

and you've got yourself a fast application.
    Hope to have such a configuration soon But this is indeed a good solution, too bad it is a little bit expensive...

Jacco