hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Why does a server crash?

Forum Jump

Why does a server crash?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
WHT Addict

Question

Why does a server crash?

Just a n00bie question....why do servers crash? I'm sure there are 1000 reasons, but what are some main reasons? If I were to setup my own server for myself, what should I look out for? And how easy would it be for someone to sign up with a host and crash them?

( and no i'm not a hacker trying to crash someone's server lol. If i was, don't you think I'd already know, or go to some hacker's forum to ask?)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old
Community Guide

Hardare Failure...

Simply Overloaded, e.g. running out of RAM, CPU load is high. This can be caused DoS, popular site, faulity software/scripts.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Drunken administrators is usually the cause in 95% of all server crashes.

24 hour support except on Saturday evenings when we party hardy

Sponsored Links
Old
Aspiring Evangelist

-

Last edited by RackFive; 08-28-2002 at 07:02 PM.
Old
Aspiring Evangelist

I'd like to see some stats on that! *hiccup**hiccup*

Quote:
Originally posted by ShagHost
Drunken administrators is usually the cause in 95% of all server crashes.

Old
Web Hosting Master

99% of the time I have seen on my servers are out of control scritps that eat memory. otherwise it's hotfixes that are needed.

Mike

I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Also a faulty harddrive will make a server crash, as I found out today

The drive slowly degraded and started causing CRC errors which started taking down all the services that were running over the past 12 hours or so. I was going mad trying to find the cause, till the datacenter confirmed it was the drive that had started to fail.

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

Why does a server crash?
Because its a windows server

Old
Junior Guru

Some real obvious ones...

- A power failiure would do it.

- Giving some script kiddies your root password would do it. (Not only do it, but also probably cause a format of the hard disk...)

- An incompetent datacenter employee tripping knocking over the rack your server resides in might do it (Along with a few $$$ in physical damage...)

If your server is at Burst, that might do it. Just Kidding. I have nothing against Burst.

- James

Old
WHT Forum Royalty

We had one server that I swear just did it to make our lives misreable. The server was named after me, of all things! It's first 6 months of life were overwhelming to say the least. We never did figure out what the -exact- cause of the spontaneous crashes were. We were left with only superstition and speculation that we still ponder to this day. That's the first and last server to ever be named after anyone we know (curing the superstition side of it lol)

Heat is another thing to be conscious of. Too much heat causes the lil guys to just pass out

Old
Web Hosting Master

Work overload..doing stuff that server specs cannot handle at the same time are 1 of the reasons....

Quote:
Heat is another thing to be conscious of. Too much heat causes the lil guys to just pass out

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by Deb
lol

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
We had one server that I swear just did it to make our lives misreable. The server was named after me, of all things! It's first 6 months of life were overwhelming to say the least. We never did figure out what the -exact- cause of the spontaneous crashes were. We were left with only superstition and speculation that we still ponder to this day. That's the first and last server to ever be named after anyone we know (curing the superstition side of it lol)
Deb

A friend wants to name her server after me...lets hope it turns out good

Old
WHT Addict

okay guys thanks for all the help
And the for all the tech's, pls lay off the booze; unless you share with the rest of us.....

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Deb

Deb, I am real superstious, to the point that some naming rules are in effect with all the servers ( and this goes for other machines I own )

1) no server shall be named male. Masculine is ok as long as it consumes and dischanges ( coimbustion engines can be masculine )

2) if a womans name shall be used, she is to be of a great lost love.

3) womans name must be honarable and or romantic.

4) at no time can a server be named after a woman of fire and lust

5) all machines should be spoken to and treated with the upmost care.

I can truthfull say the following

My car Susie, has always run fine and has never broke down, and has got me home in all emergencies ( even the day the battery was dead, she started ), now my wife drives her and has problems every time. I get in the car nothing is wrong.

my pickup truck ( Lit Fuse ) and my Chevelle ( The Rat ) of my youth, never lost a race on the strip and were always given the best parking spot.

all my servers have yet to have a GPF ( blue screen of death ) as of yet since I named them all.

My boat ( Victoria ) sailed me home, I was in 11 foot sea's and storm force winds. ( the third most scariest moment in my life )

call me whatever you want but my machines bring me home and never give me headaches.

Mike

I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
GnuTLS Hello Vulnerability Poses Potential Risks to Secure Servers and Applications Web Hosting News 2014-06-04 12:08:31
Total Server Solutions Buys Its Second Web Host in Three Months: Hands-On Web Hosting Web Hosting News 2014-01-09 11:29:23
Burgers, Binge TV Watching and Cloud Blog 2013-05-24 15:20:17
Most Online Gamers Experience Unplanned Server Outages During Play: LeaseWeb Study Web Hosting News 2013-05-01 15:16:03
Expired SSL Certificate Brings Down Windows Azure Cloud Web Hosting News 2013-02-25 10:38:00