hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : ProxyShield premium protection 1000+ USD

Forum Jump

ProxyShield premium protection 1000+ USD

Reply Post New Thread In Specialty Hosting and Markets Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 05:56 AM

ProxyShield premium protection 1000+ USD

Hello
We are under a DDoS attack on our sites.

We moved to a hosting company (I will not say the name yet) that offered us Premium Proxy Shield protection.

Seems that the protection we payed for a month (+ 10 extra days) worked for abuot 2-3 days.

Also .. some negative effects. Instead of our pages, other page appear first time :

--------------------------
Security Authorization
This is a one-time security verification process. Click Here To Enter.
--------------------------

I want to know if anyone has used Proxy Shield Premium, is this normal ?
The short time effect was that Google indexed the "Security Authorisation" page instead of our normal pages. So .. traffic went down at least 50%

Now, after 2-3 days that the "proxy-shield" has been working, we got a message from the "so called" engeneer in which he said, that if I am not content (with what ??) I could as well go some place else.

I have been paying 1800 usd in servers and protection. I didn't expected to be trated like this.

Anyone can share some experience working with proxy shield ?

Thank you
Costi.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by costiweb View Post
I want to know if anyone has used Proxy Shield Premium, is this normal ?
At a glance it would seem like a good strategy, if that page is displayed only on "suspect" IPs, would save a lot load on your own servers.

But ..

Quote:
The short time effect was that Google indexed the "Security Authorisation" page instead of our normal pages. So .. traffic went down at least 50%
I don't understand this part. GoogleBOT ips are so known they should've whitelisted them. Seems a ridiculous oversight for such an expensive system.

I don't know them anyway: Good Luck

Old 06-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Yes .. that's what I told to the engeneer that has been working on this. He replyied that he whitelisted the IPs from Google.

But I still get indexed in google with the "Security Authorisation". It is really weird. As far as heard, this protection should be "invisbile" and don't affect the sites in any way.

I beg, if someone from Gigenet reads this forum, I ask him very kindlly to explain a little more in details if possible.

Thank you very much.
Costi.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Unfortunately I can't really comment on Proxy Shield perticularly. However, it sounds to me like you should consider moving. Any company that takes 1.8k from you a month and leaves you in a situation like this is worth avoiding. If a providers setup causes such problems with your website and doesn't even do its job then you are pretty much throwing money away. I would imagine you have some case for a refund even. I don't know your host's ToS of course, but most do say that the provider has broken your agreement if they fail to provide you with what you pay for. If your proxy-shield isn't working then they are not living up to their end of your agreement.

So, reread the ToS and seriously consider moving. You shouldn't get this sort of trouble, especially when you spend that sort of money monthly.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWS Chris View Post
Any company that takes 1.8k from you a month and leaves you in a situation like this
Well, while I agree that there are some gross oversights (google should never be indexing one of their security pages, as nowadays 30 to 90% web traffic of most websites comes from google, so this would be utterly harmful), we should know the whole story.

1800$ could be utterly expensive, or even too little depending how much gbps are involved and how big the ddos is, and the like.

Too little information.

As I am curious about this service i hope that maybe someone from the company explains how it works and addresses costi questions.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:41 PM

Well.. what it is the most annoying is that these guys had the attack on their servers at least 5 days. They recommended to me to upgrade to proxyshield premium. In their page they say that proxy shield premium will protecte me against all types of DDoS (well.. )
So .. each time they say this guy is increasing the attack and I have to order the upgrade (more and more money)
So I am getting the feeling that I might be ripped off, and actually there is no proxy shield beeing installed for me. I mailed Gigenet today, and asked them kindlly to tell me if my server Ip is beeing protected by their proxy shield. I really hope to get an answer from them soon.

What scares me the most is the fact that I am dependend on the information that the hosting company is telling me. So .. if I would belive in the conspiracy teories .. I think it could be easy for a hosting company to ripp you off when they see you are in trouble , and just willing to pay to have your sites working.

Anyway .. I consider now moving to other hosting company this day.

Costi.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

You're right that a hosting company could easily rip you off like that. I loathe to think it, but in reality you can't really ever know that they are doing what they are saying.

As for upgrading, don't do it. You'd be better off switching than dumping money on a problem that doesn't seem to be even close to a resolution. Even if you don't switch, it seems like the only end for you will be if the DDoS ends. Like johnny said, depending on the specifics of your situation, you may be underpaying. But that's really just another reason to move. If the company is so cheap that they don't actually provide you the protection you pay for, you may as well dish out a little more for a better host.

Anyway, as you can probably guess my suggestion is to move hosts. So, if you are still a little hesitant, start shopping now and get some prospective hosts lined up. Then, when you hear back from Gigenet make a decision. But I think you need to get started on your contingency plan, even if it is a little late.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Community Liaison

Quote:
Originally Posted by costiweb View Post
What scares me the most is the fact that I am dependend on the information that the hosting company is telling me. So .. if I would belive in the conspiracy teories .. I think it could be easy for a hosting company to ripp you off when they see you are in trouble , and just willing to pay to have your sites working.

Anyway .. I consider now moving to other hosting company this day.

Costi.
I don't believe gigenet would ever do such a thing, and somehow i feel it might have something to do with the tickets you submitted beforehand. Could that be the case"?

p/s WHT is using the same service, would you believe they work with people who even remotely would throw such an attitude?

Old 06-28-2008, 03:12 PM
WHT Addict

Costiweb - Please contact me (PM or derek.raines@gigenet.com) with your name, customer ID, and domain. We do not have any protection plans that are $1800/mo. Also, I am not able to find any support tickets that relate to a situation like this.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:19 PM

Well.. it seems I got an reply from Gigenet by e-mail They say they don't route the server Ip into their network.

So it seems that my "hosting" company sold to me the Proxy Shield service and they put some other kind of protection instead of proxy shield.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Community Liaison

Then you now know where you should move too

Old 06-28-2008, 03:21 PM

DRGIGENET :
This is the e-mail, id , tiket number i got :

[#LMK-116204]: Gigeservers Tech Support Request

Old 06-28-2008, 03:26 PM
WHT Addict

Costiweb - I have checked your ticket ID and the IP you provided is not on our network. We are not protecting your website.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
Then you now know where you should move too
Where ? Be more speciffic.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgigenet View Post
Costiweb - I have checked your ticket ID and the IP you provided is not on our network. We are not protecting your website.

Then it seems that there is a hosting company that is selling a service in your name and don't deliver it ((((

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Media Temple Launches New Managed Hosting Service at SXSW Web Hosting News 2014-03-11 10:29:49
Media Temple Launches Premium WordPress Hosting for Designers, Web Developers Web Hosting News 2014-03-04 14:24:41
AQUA Networks Limited Listing 2014-04-20 09:32:37
DEMO VIDEO: Idera Continuous Data Protection (Part 2) Whir Tv 2013-10-05 03:57:27
Web Host MTL Servers Launches Shared Cloud Hosting, Cloud Servers Web Hosting News 2012-07-12 14:39:19