Thread: Free Vsd

Free Vsd

What is this freeVsd

at http://www.freevsd.org
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

I can't help but wonder, have you read the description on the freevsd.org website yet?

Peter

it's a virtual server software. eg. multiple customers on one server with root acces and their own root directory structure. hmmm... i hope that makes sense
    spam --> /dev/null

dont go as far as saying root, its wrong, you are given a root like account, not all the power of root. Its a Virtual Dedicated Server. Expect to spend over 20 hours getting it working correctly if you take a stab at it.
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

davidb, yep that's right. I guess the best way to describe it is that users have root access in their virtual environment.
    spam --> /dev/null

Since I don't know much.

Originally posted by davidb
    dont go as far as saying root, its wrong, you are given a root like account, not all the power of root. Its a Virtual Dedicated Server. Expect to spend over 20 hours getting it working correctly if you take a stab at it.
    Do you think this is something like Cpanel or Ensim, or can you explain what exactly it is, in detail please.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Why don't you spend the time to read the information on freevsd.org? It contains answer to all your questions.

Peter

Is it just me? I haven't been able to access the site for the last two or three days
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

It does appear to be down at the moment. I do remember that it was up when this thread was first started, so it must have been the last day or so.

Peter

Pity.. I wanted to have another look at it
    Blacknight

Well, here is the link to the commercial counterpart of freevsd - ProVSD.

http://www.idaya.com/products/provsd/

Peter

is it just me or is freevsd.org down alot?
    Avi Brender
    Reliable Web Hosting by Elite Hosts, Inc
    CPANEL Reseller Hosting - Fantastico - Rvskins - ClientExec

Originally posted by MaB
    is it just me or is freevsd.org down alot?
    I haven't been able to get to it for days...
    Blacknight

SAME THING HAPPEND TO ME. When I first looked at it about 10 months back, I went to it at first. Then came back later and it was done, really pissed too caused I wanted to read more into it.
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.

It's back up now... I wonder for how long....
    Blacknight

They're hoping you'll go to the pay site. To facilitate this, they take the server down for random periods of time.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney
    CTO, Advantagecom Networks
    http://www.SimplyWebHosting.com

Originally posted by advantagecom
    They're hoping you'll go to the pay site. To facilitate this, they take the server down for random periods of time.
    hehe very funny

Nothing as exciting as that though, unfortunately - we've just been so busy working on our commercial products and supporting customers that the outage wasn't even spotted...

The webserver is back up now and I'll try to keep an eye on it for a while.

Good Luck,

Mark.

I hope so
    Are there any plans for further development of the free version?
    Blacknight

latest version of Freevsd

i got this on the front page of the site "The latest version of freeVSD is currently 1.4.9, released 2nd July 2001."

seems like this one is a rather defunt attempt to build a linux based control panel software.

i better stick to Cpanel and ensim

Darshin

Re: latest version of Freevsd

Originally posted by Darshin
    i got this on the front page of the site "The latest version of freeVSD is currently 1.4.9, released 2nd July 2001."

seems like this one is a rather defunt attempt to build a linux based control panel software.
    Darshin
    There's no need to be rude about it.
    From what I've heard it works and as is free. There's no need to knock it.
    Blacknight

darshin, DO NOT call freevsd a control panel. Simply because its not.

To be honest, there aren't any plans at present to add new features to freeVSD, however we do fix bugs and maintain a mailing list for community support. The software is freely available from our CVS server for people that want to use it. If it's not what you need, we'll happily refund every penny you spend

To clarify what freeVSD actually is and what it isn't...

freeVSD is a set of binaries, scripts and patches that implement a very basic VPS structure. It manages creation and deletion of new VPSs and provides an API for management of accounts and services on the system. The freeVSD API can be used to develop control panels or to integrate VPSs with your own systems, and whilst there is a simple reference control panel included, it is very basic indeed. freeVSD is definitely not a control panel...

freeVSD is very useable and very stable once set up, but expect to spend some time (even months) getting it all working how you want it to. Everything you need to make VPS's is there but (as you'll appreciate) there's a whole lot more involved in setting up a good web hosting system.

In these times we have to concentrate on giving the best possible support to our paying customers, and that unfortunately doesn't leave too much time for our GPL activities.

And to those who say ProVSD (our commercial product) is too expensive, we have customers operating at over 80% margin, making around 25K per year per server. You get what you pay for I suppose

HTH,

Mark.

PS - The last release was version 1.4.10 and is available from the CVS server. Enjoy.
    Last edited by ComplexMind; 09-10-2002 at 06:17 AM.