Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,954

    Angry Cut and paste jobs

    Ok people,

    I know the forum rules are basically set in the requests forum to prevent massive cut and paste jobs, but they don't seem to be working particularly well,

    I notice a lot of people revising their posts, but not modifying the first post and going "hey, you! didn't you bother to read the post?!" but how can anyone be reasonably expected to read entire posts when some people are copying half their webpages to the threads?

    Whats everyones opinion on this? It's becoming an eye sore if you ask me (now that they're using larger fonts, and colors), for example (and yes, i am narrowing *YOU* out, live with it ):

    - Wiseonline - BY FAR THE WORST! took over 5 pages!(http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=69870)
    - Bigshow911 (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=70286)
    - Synthetic (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=70267)
    - Thetech (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=70267)
    - Tribby (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=70267)
    - Semaj (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=70114)

    I picked anything that took more then 1 full page on 1152x864 resolution, but it's been driving me UP THE WALLS! has this been annoying the heck out of everyone else too, or is it just me? I know i was told not to quote people as much when i was posting more because i was making too much extra junk in the threads (which seemed fair when i thuoght about it, poor dialup users), but i mean this is 20x worse, at least my quotes had some relavence!

    Theres dozens that had 3/4 of a page to 9/10 of a page of stuff i obviously didn't include but like listing the major features of CPanel in a thread is just a BAD IDEA! double spacing your post... you're not in grade 11 anymore, you should be shot!

    Opinions? Am i overboard? Dont know, but it's making me less and less inclined to go to reply to the requests forum when i have to scroll 20 pages, or run into someone wanting cyberwings prices! If you ask me, a few things as of recent are hurting WHT as a community.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Here?
    Posts
    2,560
    I don't think you're overboard at all. I'm in total agreement with you. There are several posters who cut and paste the same material for every single request. Is it wrong? I don't know. Annoying? Yes!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Downunder..
    Posts
    2,612
    Who cares

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,954

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Downunder..
    Posts
    2,612
    Yes but most people who are asking for offers only do so once

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,598

    Arrow

    I don't think cut-n-paste jobs are "wrong," as long as they include a plan offering that matches the thread creators requirements.

    Of course, there is some unessesary commentary included in some offers, I suppose.

    I mean, I'm thinking that as long as the thread creator is fine with what's posted, there is no problem. (These are meant to be offers directed solely towards the poster, correct?) I've even had some people PM me requesting that I pose MORE information in my posts. Strange..?

    But maybe there SHOULD be some further restrictions implemented. I'm not too fond of some of the offers posted, and that includes some of my own. (Page scrolling does get annoying, yes.)

    But how would we do this? Restrict offers to include 4 sentences max, plus brief account and payment details? - What?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Posts
    33,190
    I would rather see informative copy/paste posts than them durned "Look at http://stupidhost.com/stupidplan" page posts.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Here?
    Posts
    2,560
    Edude, you do make a valid point. Requests for hosting usually come from a poster once. Sythetic is also right on in the fact that posts "should" be tailored for the person requesting hosting. That said though, some posts do trail on f-o-r-e-v-e-r and many are cut-and-paste jobs that don't reflect any attempt to match what the poster has asked for. They're nothing more than cut-and-paste jobs. Informative, thorough posts are great. I don't think that's what porcupine was referring to though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,963
    SWR, why do you have a dash in your name for your title
    did you put that yourself ?

    lol i thought dash meant user is banned

    I hope swr is banned, i mean.... not banned

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Downunder..
    Posts
    2,612
    WOW!

    /me is shocked!

    Its the first time someone has ever told me i made a valid point!

    /me faints...

    Originally posted by WiredDog
    Edude, you do make a valid point. Requests for hosting usually come from a poster once. Sythetic is also right on in the fact that posts "should" be tailored for the person requesting hosting. That said though, some posts do trail on f-o-r-e-v-e-r and many are cut-and-paste jobs that don't reflect any attempt to match what the poster has asked for. They're nothing more than cut-and-paste jobs. Informative, thorough posts are great. I don't think that's what porcupine was referring to though.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,954
    Originally posted by Synthetic
    I don't think cut-n-paste jobs are "wrong," as long as they include a plan offering that matches the thread creators requirements.

    Of course, there is some unessesary commentary included in some offers, I suppose.

    I mean, I'm thinking that as long as the thread creator is fine with what's posted, there is no problem. (These are meant to be offers directed solely towards the poster, correct?) I've even had some people PM me requesting that I pose MORE information in my posts. Strange..?

    But maybe there SHOULD be some further restrictions implemented. I'm not too fond of some of the offers posted, and that includes some of my own. (Page scrolling does get annoying, yes.)

    But how would we do this? Restrict offers to include 4 sentences max, plus brief account and payment details? - What?
    Granted, i do agree with lots of information, but it seems a lot of hosts are doing this:

    (cut from our webpage)

    All Accounts Include:
    CPanel/WHM 4.8+ (click for demo)
    Firewall Protection
    99.5% Uptime Guarantee
    Automatic Backup Restores
    Webmail
    Customizable Mail Filtering
    Customizable MX Entries
    Spam Filtering
    Webalizer Web & FTP Stats
    Analog Stats
    Bandwidth Usage Graphs
    Visitor Demographics
    Viewable Error Logs
    Access to Raw Log Files
    Customizable FTP Login Messages
    Password Protected Directories
    Custom Error Pages
    Re-directors
    Customizable MIME Types
    Customizable Apache Handlers
    Microsoft Frontpage Extensions
    Search Engine Submission
    File Manager
    Custom Sub-Domain Re-directs
    Sub-Domain Statistics
    Ability to Manage GPG Keys
    Crontab Jobs
    Web Based DNS Lookup
    Web Based Traceroute
    Graphical Database Management
    Interchange Shopping Cart
    Agora Shopping Cart
    XMB Bulletin Board
    Java Chat
    HTML Chat
    phpMyChat
    Random HTML Generator
    Advanced Guest Book
    Counter Generator
    Java Clock Generator
    Java Countdown Generator
    Secure Form Mail
    CGI Email Script
    Entropy Search
    Entropy Banner
    Weekly Backups
    Downloadable Backups
    Full 30 Day Money Back Guarantee

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,954

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,598

    *

    I'd like to know what you had in mind, were you planning on proposing a new rule?
    Last edited by Synthetic; 08-28-2002 at 04:35 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,954
    I have no authority to make rules, nor request them, why should i, i'm just another WHT user, im just posting my opinions, i think some of the recent stuff on WHT has degraded it to the community, i'd call most of them growing pains (as WHT becomes more public, more clueless newbies will find their way there, and some of us will sit here like we're in a help channel explaining the same stuff over and over), but some of it can be prevented, massive cut and paste jobs could be prevented i would think, there was a rule (still is?) about it, but it falls into the relavence category, the features of cpanel is relavent to any cpanel based webhosting package, but would you include the source code for cpanel too? it's still relavent technically, or the exact model number and hardware configuration of all of your servers, including every piece of software and the version numbers? Has to stop somewhere

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Downunder..
    Posts
    2,612
    I am part of SWR's "-" gang!



    Originally posted by clocker1996
    SWR, why do you have a dash in your name for your title
    did you put that yourself ?

    lol i thought dash meant user is banned

    I hope swr is banned, i mean.... not banned

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Posts
    33,190
    Originally posted by clocker1996
    SWR, why do you have a dash in your name for your title
    did you put that yourself ?

    lol i thought dash meant user is banned

    I hope swr is banned, i mean.... not banned
    Just one of those crazy self-imposed banning days I had once upon a time.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,991
    Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    I would rather see informative copy/paste posts than them durned "Look at http://stupidhost.com/stupidplan" page posts.
    Same here. Hands78, at hostingchat, constantly posts articles that he copy and pastes, but they are informative and useful... http://www.hostingchat.net/viewforum.php?f=15

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,963
    sounds like jbiz started , or atleast installed the forums on hostingchat www.drirc.net/hostingchat.gif

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,868
    Originally posted by Synthetic
    I'd like to know what you had in mind, were you planning on proposing a new rule?
    There is a rule already

    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=65873

    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,121

    Re: Cut and paste jobs

    Originally posted by porcupine
    - Wiseonline - BY FAR THE WORST! took over 5 pages!(http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=69870)
    This one didn't even meet the request and has been removed.

    We could institue some type of format in which replies should be posted (1. URL to plan, 2. features that match, etc.), although this still could be up for interpretation a bit and I don't think it would solve the 'problem' you are asking about.

    Most likely people want a concise reply of an offer that matches their request. If you want to add more than enough information, well, you take the chance of no one reading it.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

    Chicken

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •