Anyone used Debian? (Debian vs. RH)

Hi,

I'm currently running redhat on my home server, but I'm thinking about changing to Debian linux (or maybe slackware?).

Why I'm gonna do it is because I'm expecting Debian to be more organized, less dependencies problems, easier source upgrades. I like compiling the packages I use myself, especially that I like having the latest and greatest of everything.

Besides, I already know a lot about RedHat and want something different to try and learn.

So what do you think?
    Ahmad Alhashemi
    PHP, Apache, C, Python, Perl, SQL
    18 related BrainBench certificates

Mandrake always seems to have the latest stuff. Seems like it might be a good devel machine. I'll personally only give up RedHat when you pry it from my cold dead fingers, or when I'm using TurboLinux or my own custom Linux box.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Originally posted by secludo
    Try Slackware

http://www.slackware-advocacy.org/
    oh no
    It took me 3 days to get all 7 debian CD iso images

I was thinking Slackware, Debian or FreeBSD. I ruled out FreeBSD because I'm still learning Linux networking.

I don't mind getting Slackware. I just need a good reason.
    Ahmad Alhashemi

Originally posted by bitserve
    Mandrake always seems to have the latest stuff. Seems like it might be a good devel machine. I'll personally only give up RedHat when you pry it from my cold dead fingers, or when I'm using TurboLinux or my own custom Linux box.
    Yeah. I've used Mandrake myself for a while. It was nice, but same problems with readhat. Lots of dependency troubles and it's hard to replace a package with your own installation from source.

Another problem with redhat is that it's not clean. They change lots of things in the config files. They have lots of shell scripts and aliases that interfere with the default behaviours of commands.

For example, I got used to the way rm works on redhat. I use rm * when I want to delete all files in the current directory, except one or two. RedHat's default is to prompt you for confirmation about each file.

One day I got on a FreeBSD server deleted all my files. I discover later that the FreeBSD behaviour is the default and that I've got a very harmful redhat specific habbit.

Anyway, I'm still open for comments about why I should not consider slackware or debian, because otherwise I'm going with one of them.
    Ahmad Alhashemi

Slackware uses a BSD-style initialization system, which is much simpler and convenient than System V inits.
    Now, I'm not sure how easy it is to adapt to that.
    Ahmad Alhashemi

Im not sure why you downloaded 7 ISOs.. you only really need one.

.. debian is great.. try it and see how it fits your personal tastes

to each his own.. except for most openbsd ninjas I know.. they are worse than Mormons.. YOU MUST CONVERT, CONVERT, CONVERT, YOU MUST CONVERT!@#$
    - brian

failing to plan is planning to fail.

Originally posted by brian-WHT
    Im not sure why you downloaded 7 ISOs.. you only really need one.

.. debian is great.. try it and see how it fits your personal tastes

to each his own.. except for most openbsd ninjas I know.. they are worse than Mormons.. YOU MUST CONVERT, CONVERT, CONVERT, YOU MUST CONVERT!@#$
    Well, I don't see it used as much as redhat, so I don't want to install and find out there is a BIG problem in it. Then have to install redhat again.

About 7 CD's, I planned to get first two only. Then I find it working, so I get the next CD, and it goes until I get all 7. I also got knoppix (live distro based on debian).
    Ahmad Alhashemi

I'd use Debian instead of RH. Or slackware. Currently I'm running suse 8.0 and FreeBSD 4.2 on my home pc.